Cruise West - Wine Country

Begete

I took that cruise several years ago , it was on the Spirit of Endeavor. It was the 4 night version and I really enjoyed the experience. I have seen the Yorktown and it looks like a great ship though somewhat larger.

I thought that this was a wonderful way to experince two of my favorite things, cruising and the wine country. The wine tours paired with a nightly wine tasting on board was very special. It was nice not to have to have a designated driver and to travel with like minded people to share the experience. I would do it again in a minute! At that time Cruise West let you buy wine on the tours and let you bring it into the dining room for a small corkage fee.

Martini Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

We did that cruise twice, on the Spirit of Endeavor and Spirit of '98, and just loved it. The wines are very good and we learned a lot too. Taking a bus to each winery is so nice since no one has to be the designated driver.

Cruise West is a very nice line and we enjoy their cruises. We are taking our 7th one with them in January to the Sea of Cortés.

Thanx. I had some unexpected/unanticipated major surgery last Friday and am just out of the hospital. As we are, generally, both in good health and physically active, it never occurred to us to ask how strenuous the shore portions of the cruises are as we are normally avid walkers/hikers.

I still have 5 days before boarding the boat October 6. I figure if I can only make it thru the airports, I ought to be able to just spend my time on deck while my husband does any tours that might involve too much walking.

Will there be anyone to "take care of me" on board while the other passengers are participating in the planned activities?

I have not found too much walking in the wine tours. If they offer tours of the winery, you could just sit in the visitors area of gift shop. The buses pull right up to the main buildings or at least very close. The only drawback is that once you leave the ship via bus you are stuck with the tours until they return late in the afternoon.

We have never stayed aboard while others took a tour. But, there are always crew members on the ship. You would have to ask them about serving lunch if you do stay since lunch was always provided at the winery. On our wine cruises none of the stops were close enough to a town to walk into.

Like you said, if you can make it though the airports, the cruise will be a piece of cake.

Enjoy!

Archived