Which Airport

Mike45

Goodevening all,

I need some info for a cruise in May. I called Carnival to see how far the cruise port was from the miami airport. She said 8 to 10 miles. I could be to the port in about 30 minutes. She mentioned Ft. Lauderdale airport being about 45 minutes away and perhaps less congestion there. She said they fly most passengers in to miami. She thought if we were not in a hurry to get back to perhaps make plans for Ft. Lauderdale. Any thoughts?

I've been in the Miami airport one time and have no desire to go back. My airline friends say it is not the place to fly into if you can help it. I think the PVP was trying to tell you this in not so many words. If you can, try to plan your trip with a little extra time to get back and forth to Fort Lauderdale. It will be worth it.

For all the problems MIA has, if I was cruising from Miami I would prefer flying into and out of MIA. For me to switch to FLL I would expect to save at least $100 per round-trip ticket. The additional cost for a transfer and the extra time involved using FLL makes the aggravation factor for both airports high in my book.

Don't let anyone tell you differently... Miami Airport is just fine.... and it's close to the Port of Miami... like an 8 minute cab ride.

I can only think of one reason to fly into FLL... and that would be if I was traving with 4 or more people and the flight savings was significant enough to warrent the nearly hour long drive each way, plus the check-in, security, and wait time at the airport.

Best of luck. :)

Hey Mike,

We are cruising out of Miami on our next cruise and have decided to fly into FLL. The airfare into FLL was 1/2 of the cost to fly into Miami. Even though transfers were $20 more, we saved something like $200 per person on airfare. When I booked my flights, FLL was around $215/pp and MIA was around $430/pp. We are also flying out of PA. We fly out of Pittsburgh. Would you be flying out of Philly? I would price it out and see which is cost effective for you. I have flown into both airports and I didn't prefer one over the other. Savings over $400 is worth spending an extra $40 in transfers and an extra 15 minutes to get to the port. Just my opinion...that $400 can go a long way on board.

Kristen

RCI Majesty of the Seas-June 2005

Carnival Liberty-April 2007

Carnival Destiny-Dec 6, 2008

Thanks Kristen. I live in south central Pa. So i usually fly from BWI. I can get there just as quick as Harrisburg. Seems to me all the cruises from Ft. Lauderdale would have them flying into FLL.

I've flown into and out of both airports--I'm not that crazy about either of them. I go for the best fare. For my Miracle cruise this November from Port Everglades, I'm flying into Miami and out of FLL.

Archived