Yet Another Question

Cruzer Nut

Hi,

Has anyone got an idea on whether it is a good idea to rent snorkeling gear on the PD or should we bring our own and if anyone knows costing please.

If it's cheaper renting them rather than taking up space in cases for them etc.

Also in regards to shore tours - going to Savusavu and have seen on the P&O website about a tour that visits a Black Pearl Farm.

Has anyone been on it or if you are going on it before us do you mind letting me know if it is worth visiting.

Thanks. :o

It's probably worth buying your own snorkling gear. We purchased ours for around $40.00 and I think it is $49 to hire on the ship plus a deposit. You do get to keep the snorkle and the bag and i think the $49 also includes the flippers.

Probably doing a search on this topic as it has come up a few times and would be more accurate than my memory. One thing i do know is that they did sell out of snorlke gear on the PS last time I was on it. So the suggestion was be early if youa re going to hire.

Can't help you with the black pearl farm I'm afraid, but try a search in this forum for it and it may pop up.

We bought our own snorkel gear for about the same price it would cost to hire, but I have it to use other times - and I have.

Savusavu - You can visit the black pearl farm on your own for $25 per person. We went to Jeff Hunter's Pearls' office but decided not to do the tour. Some of us have done a pearl farm tour before (Broome). If you want to do it yourself, walk to the right when you leave the wharf. It is probably 500m - 600m. You will see the narrow wharf extending into the bay opposite the office. Can't miss it. On the way back to the wharf take a detour one block inland to see the hot springs.:):)

Evon.

If you do decide to book the pearl farm tour through P&O ... book early! They only have 65 places on the tour and they fill up very fast! (We missed out!:(). But as Ela_2 says ... it's probably easy enough to do yourself. SavuSavu isn't a HUGE place --- easy to find your way around - and it's not far back to where you catch the tenders back to the ship - so no worries about getting back in time if you plan accordingly!

RE: Snorkel gear, I prefer to take my own to cut down the additional onboard costs and because I can't bring myself to put my mouth over snorkelling gear that's been used so many times. :o

RE: Savu Savu. I haven't done the black pearl farm, but I did do the Copra Farm & Hot Springs tour. My BEST advice is NOT to pay P&O to take you to the hot springs or you'll be sorely disappointed. They're no more than a 10 min walk from the dock and there's free entry!! The springs are very very small too. Not at all what I was expecting :( Copra Farm was a good experience though :) Oh, and you won't need your snorkel gear on Savu Savu - it's not that kind of place. More shops and tours than swimming / snorkelling.

Hi,

Has anyone got an idea on whether it is a good idea to rent snorkeling gear on the PD or should we bring our own and if anyone knows costing please.

If it's cheaper renting them rather than taking up space in cases for them etc.

Also in regards to shore tours - going to Savusavu and have seen on the P&O website about a tour that visits a Black Pearl Farm.

Has anyone been on it or if you are going on it before us do you mind letting me know if it is worth visiting.

Thanks. :o

Hi

I bought a set from a local dive shop, only about $50 but no flippers which i rented onboard and only used once as i preferred deck shoes. Just remembered i hadn't cleaned them properly from last november, could still taste Isle of Pines salt water on them. What a wonderful place that is.

Don

Hi

I bought a set from a local dive shop, only about $50 but no flippers which i rented onboard and only used once as i preferred deck shoes. Just remembered i hadn't cleaned them properly from last november, could still taste Isle of Pines salt water on them. What a wonderful place that is.

Don

Took me ages to get that fine Isle of Pines sand off our gear Don! Washed them out in the shower on board, then put them on the windowsill to dry ... there was still sand falling out of them when I moved them in the garage recently!!!! Don't think you ever lose the Isle of Pines completely!!:D:D:p

PS: We didn't use flippers either ... found the reef shoes to do the job - weren't needing to propell ourselves long distances when we snorkelled!

RE: Snorkel gear, I prefer to take my own to cut down the additional onboard costs and because I can't bring myself to put my mouth over snorkelling gear that's been used so many times. :o

Each person gets a new snorkel now and you get to keep it. You only have to return the mask & fins.

We have our own gear which we take with us. We have just had to replace some of the gear as it was due for a change.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Thanks for all the info, most helpful :D

Walking to the Black Pearl farm sounds easy and much better value at $25 than the $65 that P&0 are flogging it off at !!!: :eek:

Will def check out the Hot Springs too thanks for the tip.

Am so glad I found this forum has been fantastic to get all this info without feeling like there is something wrong with me :o :o

Archived