Real/Natural touch flowers for DIY brides

Lance'sBride

Hello everyone,

I had a wonderful experience that I wanted to share with you all. I wanted to use the real touch, or natural touch flowers for my wedding, but was shocked to find out they were just about as expensive as the going through the florist Carnival provided, plus a lot of places needed more notice than I could give (I'm getting married in November). Then I found a company called Flowers By Design. They sell the flowers by the stem, any type of flowers you can imagine. I ordered the flowers (which were beautiful by the way), and made my own bouquets, corsages, and boutonnieres. I have ZERO experience doing this, but it was so easy! There are directions and videos online that show you how to do it. This was my first time, and I swear my bouquets look as good as the companies charging $400+! Plus it was a lot of fun to make them, and I got to do it exactly how I wanted. To any brides looking to save a little money, I highly recommend Flowers By Design. I worked with Dana, who always answered my emails within minutes, and answered all of my questions (and trust me, there were a lot of them!). Their website is www.flowers-by-design.com. Check them out!

Can you post photos of your flowers? I'd love to see them and I'm sure others would too. If you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost for your flowers, shipping, and other materials to make your bouquet? Also, did it take you long to make everything?

I'm having an 11" round bridal bouquet of all real feel flowers made by a florist (SomethingSpectacular.com) for my wedding and it is estimated to be only around $125-130 so nowhere near the $400+ amount you mentioned in your post.

I would love to see pictures of your bouquets. I was thinking of going with Something Spectacular also and I felt that their prices were reasonable. The only reason I didn't want to use the fresh flowers from the cruiseline was because 1. I want to be able to bring the flowers home and you can't take them off the ship and 2. We are having beach pictures and a trash the dress photo shoot in Cabo San Lucas three or four days after the wedding and I wanted to have the same flowers. Wasn't sure how the real ones would look for the additional photo shoot. I felt that the flowers from SomethingSpectacular were beautiful and I had heard that they work with brides if they have something in particular in mind. I have zero experience in flowers so with my stress-filled life, I think I will leave the flowers to a professional. Now other DIY projects....I am all up for them! However, I would love to see what you and other brides have come up with!

Barbie

I will take some pictures this weekend and post them for you. My total cost for flowers and materials was about $115, which was enough flowers for my bouquet, 2 bridesmaids bouquets, 4 corsages, 4 boutonierres, and plently of leftover flowers (which I'm using for petals for the flower girls and to decorate the cake). It didn't take long at all, I made everything in 3 days. The $400 I was talking about was a quote for that entire package, not just for my bouquet. I can also give you the links to the videos and directions I found if anyone wants them. I'll post pictures soon!

Here are some pictures of the flowers (excuse the low quality and incorrect date, I just took these in my kitchen). I wanted simple, gerbera daisy bouquets. I can say that these flowers look and feel very real. If you're worried about it, Dana at Flowers By Design offered to send a sample of any of the flowers, so I'm sure you can request one with the flowers you want to use. To learn how to make them, I used:

http://save-on-crafts.com/bouqmakbas.html

(there are also links to how to make corsages and boutonnières on here).

Here is the link to the video I watched: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6764720025208106076&ei=sk3QSOK-H4-MqwLb0sHPAg&q=how+to+make+a+corsage&vt=lf&hl=en

I kept googling different key words, "how to make a bouquet/boutonnière/corsage, hand tied bouquet making," etc.

I hope this helps!

100_1889.jpg.a0664f00b2b3f347597224474d6f117d.jpg

100_18941.jpg.35e5ec4ff378a7d2894d62e714326f10.jpg

100_18931.jpg.1458653bd33f5a73abd5d9a5b3e49ac3.jpg

My fiancee and I recently decided to elope in Grand Cayman on 11/11. I like you am hitting many stumbling blocks finding someone who can turn around a small bouquet, boutenier and hair flower in time for our sailing. As it turns out the company you recommended is 10 miles from me, so needless to say I will be heading there today.:D I'm very crafty but was discouraged after a trip to Michaels and thinking, I can't do this. But you have given me some confidence and watching the videos it doesn't look so bad. Thanks again for the idea, you have saved me some stress, and hopefully some money too!!

Here are some pictures of the flowers (excuse the low quality and incorrect date' date=' I just took these in my kitchen). I wanted simple, gerbera daisy bouquets. I can say that these flowers look and feel very real. If you're worried about it, Dana at Flowers By Design offered to send a sample of any of the flowers, so I'm sure you can request one with the flowers you want to use. To learn how to make them, I used:

Here is the link to the video I watched: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6764720025208106076&ei=sk3QSOK-H4-MqwLb0sHPAg&q=how+to+make+a+corsage&vt=lf&hl=en

I kept googling different key words, "how to make a bouquet/boutonnière/corsage, hand tied bouquet making," etc.

I hope this helps!

[/quote']

Lance'sBride, your flowers are beautiful!! I ordered mine from Angel's Accents and should be getting them in the mail any day...eee!!:D

Here are some pictures of the flowers (excuse the low quality and incorrect date' date=' I just took these in my kitchen). I wanted simple, gerbera daisy bouquets. I can say that these flowers look and feel very real. If you're worried about it, Dana at Flowers By Design offered to send a sample of any of the flowers, so I'm sure you can request one with the flowers you want to use. To learn how to make them, I used:

I hope this helps!

[/quote']

Lance's Bride- I went today and got absolutely beautiful flowers. Everything I needed for a boutenier, Small tied bouquet about 10", A hair comb, and maybe a corsage and it was less than $90!!! Donna was wonderful and was truly touched when I told her about your referral. She said to say thank you very much!!

I would love to see pics and video links too! I am really curious how different the real touch calla lillies and orchids are from the latex ones found in the stores. Is there a big difference?

Thanks!

I now have first hand experience as I looked at latex yesterday and bought the real touch today. I was amazed at how real they look. I saw a stargazer lilly in the store that I would have sworn was real.

I am going to try and post some pics. I am kind of proud of myself. All I need are some finishing ribbons and I am done :)

Lance's Bride- I went today and got absolutely beautiful flowers. Everything I needed for a boutenier, Small tied bouquet about 10", A hair comb, and maybe a corsage and it was less than $90!!! Donna was wonderful and was truly touched when I told her about your referral. She said to say thank you very much!!

That's so great!! I'm really glad it worked out for you, I know what a relief it is to have that part done! I can't wait to see pictures of your flowers!

I now have first hand experience as I looked at latex yesterday and bought the real touch today. I was amazed at how real they look. I saw a stargazer lilly in the store that I would have sworn was real.

I am going to try and post some pics. I am kind of proud of myself. All I need are some finishing ribbons and I am done :)

That's good to know, thanks for sharing! Everyones flowers look great!

I got my florals stems from Michaeals and Jo Anns fabrics.

I made the florals over the weekend.

I have my bokay, and 4 bridesmaids bokays and 1 jr bridesmaids, and a flower girl. One of the pictures is of the corsages.

I still have the bouts to make and the table centerpieces and cake florals.

All together I have about $150.00 invested.

tn?sid=2039560619&mid=AHEwvs4AAXkVSNL4YQnRJn8Vd5w&partid=2&f=521&fid=Florals 2 bridesmaids

tn?sid=2039560619&mid=AHEwvs4AAXkVSNL4YQnRJn8Vd5w&partid=3&f=521&fid=Florals my bokay

tn?sid=2039560619&mid=AHEwvs4AAXkVSNL4YQnRJn8Vd5w&partid=4&f=521&fid=Floralsmaid of honors, and flower girls

tn?sid=2039560619&mid=AHEwvs4AAXkVSNL4YQnRJn8Vd5w&partid=5&f=521&fid=Florals 2 bridesmaids

tn?sid=2039560619&mid=AHEwvs4AAXkVSNL4YQnRJn8Vd5w&partid=6&f=521&fid=Florals corsages

These florals have been fun making.

Gerry

Archived