Has Celebrity Discontinued Carrying Trays??

richsea

You bring up some interesting points. All of the cruise lines out there have made cutbacks over the last few years. We were on the Century 10 years ago and loved all the little extras that Celebrity gave us compared to the previous Carnival ships we had been on. Little things like the trays. I remember the olive trays at dinner, fresh butter on the table instead of the tin wrapped butters, the sorbet to cleanse the pallet before the main course in the dining room, fresh flowers all over the ship, the white glove service when arriving on the ship to bring you to your cabin with a glass of champagne, and other little things Celebrity did that the other mass market lines did not do. I am sure that some of these things are now gone. We were on the NCL Pearl last year and after experiencing all their cutbacks I will never sail NCL again. I hope I do not feel that way about Celebrity. Hopefully some of their "little" differences are still there. We were on the Liberty of the Seas last May and although RCI has made many cutbacks, they still made sure it was a great cruise for everyone. Those of us that have been cruising for a long time remember what it was like, those days are gone, but has Celebrity continued to keep their edge? I will find out in Nov on the Solstice.

The trays are not a big deal to me. My concern is that there are TONS of subliminal things that contribute to the overall feeling of any situation/place.

On another thread where the subject was comparing Celebrity to Carnival cruise lines. My contribution to that debate was to equate Carnival to Wall Mart or Target and Celebrity to Nordstrom. Nordstrom has live classical piano music playing. The store is quiet and classy. It is all designed to provide an ambiance and feel that their customers value. Wall Mart and Target are all about price and almost nothing else.

My concern about the trays is that they may be a small piece of the subliminal puzzle (like the piano in Nordstrom) that has always made Celebrity feel special. The trays themselves are rather a stupid detail, but if they are an example of the many "little" things that Celebrity has cut back on to save money I am concerned that they may loose the "undefinable feel" that made their passengers feel special in the past.

I am looking forward to my October Connie cruise and will have a great time no matter what. I have been on several Carnival cruises and enjoyed every one of them. Sometimes you want a "Nordstrom" experience and some times you just want a plastic wastebasket for the garage. Wall Mart will be great for that. I will be looking to see if that special feeling still exists on a Celebrity ship. I sure hope so.

For the record, I fully acknowledge that this atmosphere that I appreciate costs money. I am willing to pay for that. Celebrity has traditionally provided a good value for the cost even though they were (generally) more expensive than the other "mass market" lines. I always thought of that classy, affordable atmosphere to be the Celebrity "niche". If they give up that "niche" to compete only on price I can not imagine how they will thrive. Call this my vote to charge a bit more if you have to, but do not cut back on the atmosphere.

Best to all,

Bruce

Last November my husband and I took a Thanksgiving Cruise on Holland America's Westerdam with our daughter and her family. Even though Holland America doesn't have Celebrity's ritual of carrying trays in their buffet, whenever one of their employees saw my daughter trying to juggle a tray with carrying her then seven month old infant, they offered to help her. They also came to our table in the buffet quite often to see if she wanted them to get anything else for her.

What impressed me was the way the crew on that ship observed who could use a little assistance and then offered it. Knowing my daughter, she would have never asked for that help, but was very grateful to have received it.

This is an example of what I think distinguishes a special cruise from an average one. It was quite obvious to me that Holland America trains their crew to anticipate the type of help a passenger could use before they even ask for it.

Will be on in 8 days. I'll check help with trays on Infinity. I do need the assistance now -- postponed knee replacement surgery until after the cruise so I am limping now. I'm taking a cane and hoping I won't need to use it on the ship.

Carol good luck on your cruise and good luck with your knee replacement when you get home. I did the same thing on my TA last year and survived it, but now I'm planning my TA this year with a new knee. I hope you have as good a result as I have had. I'm so excited about thinking all the things I will be able to do this year.

For as long as I can remember, Celebrity has been very inconsistent about carrying trays in the buffet, but I never considered it to be a big deal one way or the other.

I think it only matters if a passenger is physically challenged or a young mother is trying to carry a tray full of food while holding a baby.

Sky Sweet - It has only been in recent times that the practice has changed. At one time it was staff waiting to take you and your tray to a table.

I find it very helpful when carrying coffee and water and juice on a tray. Even though I am perfectly capable to manage the tray, I cannot manage not to have the liquids not spill to some degree most of the time, so I always appreciated the extra help and attention.

When I was on the NCL Pearl last year I was told the reason they stopped providing trays at the buffet was for health reasons, not because too many people loaded up. Trays or not, the ones that are going to load up will load up.

If Celebrity continues to provide a tray - then that's great. NCL stopped offering trays a while back as a cost cutting measure. People were just loading up and wasting food.

Will be on in 8 days. I'll check help with trays on Infinity. I do need the assistance now -- postponed knee replacement surgery until after the cruise so I am limping now. I'm taking a cane and hoping I won't need to use it on the ship.

Good luck. I use a wheelchair fulltime and there were no waiters for carrying trays in March/April. The DH took care of mine then went back for his. No real biggie. But no one around for tea, coffee, juice refills? It appeared after the first couple days the only help up there were sommeliers for wine only.

Keep your cane nearby if seas act up. Beats hitting the floor and needing a matching new hip. Do have fun.

We were on Infinity in June, and there was no tray carrying, except for those who obviously needed some help. This seems the way to go, as I always found it annoying to have to keep telling them that I could handle it myself. I observed that everyone who did need help got it readily.

lol - I got it far FAR too readily - although a wheelchair user I am more than capable of carrying my tray on my knee and value my independence! It became quite rritating when they wouldn't take a polite " no thank you" and I practically had my wrestle my tray off a few waiters lol

Trays are not even available on some ships.

Let alone staff to carry them for paying passengers.

What used to be no longer is.

Days were even in NYC etc.. and the Bon-Voyage Parties when we were going to depart as well our family and friends on other voyages too.

Prime Beef was standard..not having people pay $15 for a 10 oz sirloin..as is now becoming the fare ...:eek:

CruiseLines should once again show they have and provide the best to there clients which cruise... ahh.. fresh news ...and we will get the views whilst they get the great reviews.. If they do want to increase usages and the fill rate aboard..what better way than to have present and past passengers tell there friends, family and colleagues about the wonderful trip(s) and excellent food as well trained staff/crew.. n The RULE of 44 Applies...

Now doesn't that sound like it was before((?)) Why not again now((((?))))

Having the formal (normal) dining room open for lunch and breakfast while in Port too should be standard as it is on most Cruise Lines..and not make us paying passengers go to the SLOP LINE on the Lido Deck (Normal Deck Name)

We went aboard a large cruise liner recently and we had to go up to the SLOP LINE and Passenger Bump and Spin area... we put our salads in there respective plates sat down finally after trying to obtain seating for 20-30 minutes and started eating what we thought was going to be a great salad...

OOPS.. dead flys were on it ..*YIKES* I went to ask for the In Charge Manager and finally after speaking to 4-5 people the so called Chef came foward..

he said.. ( Oh sorry they (flys) are a normalcy as this happens a lot ) :mad: .. What ((?))

I guess the FLY Soup is the second course...

What is vital to passenger I believe is to have Q.C. (QUALITY CONTROL). As without it we cruisers shall be getting Less and Less and Paying More and More...

Personally, I have days when having my tray carried is essential by someone (usually it's my husband), because I am having pain (often in my hands), although it would not be visible to the average person because I do not have rheumatoid arthritis. I absolutely hate having to ask for assistance, even of a waiter, especially if I am standing in line with other cruisers.

I will add that if my husband and I are together (the norm), then, if I am having pain or weakness that day, I go directly to a table and sit and am satisfied with the variety of foods he brings us to eat. I may get up for "small items" after that, but he does the tray-carrying for both of us on those days. However, there are a number of women and men in similar situations who travel and/or dine alone who don't have this option. We much prefer to dine in the dining room at lunchtime, but Celebrity has been closing the dining room at lunchtime during most if not all port days, so one has to use the Lido then. (I think the closing of the dining room is a bigger problem, but that's not the topic here.)

Having a tray helps him carry more items at once, and it does not mean that we are taking more food than others, just that he is loading the tray with enough food for two people. Not having a tray will make it more difficult for him, and he is on vacation, too.

I think it should still be possible to simply glance at a waiter (without making a grimace) to get an offer of assistance. Does that not happen now on Celebrity?

Trays are not even available on some ships.

Let alone staff to carry them for paying passengers.

What used to be no longer is.

Days were even in NYC etc.. and the Bon-Voyage Parties when we were going to depart as well our family and friends on other voyages too.

Prime Beef was standard..not having people pay $15 for a 10 oz sirloin..as is now becoming the fare ...:eek:

CruiseLines should once again show they have and provide the best to there clients which cruise... ahh.. fresh news ...and we will get the views whilst they get the great reviews.. If they do want to increase usages and the fill rate aboard..what better way than to have present and past passengers tell there friends, family and colleagues about the wonderful trip(s) and excellent food as well trained staff/crew.. n The RULE of 44 Applies...

Now doesn't that sound like it was before((?)) Why not again now((((?))))

Having the formal (normal) dining room open for lunch and breakfast while in Port too should be standard as it is on most Cruise Lines..and not make us paying passengers go to the SLOP LINE on the Lido Deck (Normal Deck Name)

We went aboard a large cruise liner recently and we had to go up to the SLOP LINE and Passenger Bump and Spin area... we put our salads in there respective plates sat down finally after trying to obtain seating for 20-30 minutes and started eating what we thought was going to be a great salad...

OOPS.. dead flys were on it ..*YIKES* I went to ask for the In Charge Manager and finally after speaking to 4-5 people the so called Chef came foward..

he said.. ( Oh sorry they (flys) are a normalcy as this happens a lot ) :mad: .. What ((?))

I guess the FLY Soup is the second course...

What is vital to passenger I believe is to have Q.C. (QUALITY CONTROL). As without it we cruisers shall be getting Less and Less and Paying More and More...

Hi AAA American :)

One of the problems with comparing the norm today vs in the past is that cruising use to be a very expensive vacation that most middle class people could not afford.

With today's prices, however, most people can afford to cruise

With this in mind, should cruise lines include everything they did at one time in their basic cruise fare, and raise their prices, or continue to keep their prices at a level that is affordable for most middle class people?

In my opinion, the only thing that has changed recently is that all of the mass market cruise lines today, including "premium mass market" are more alike than they are different, which includes their prices. Pricing today on a mass market cruise line is more a factor of supply and demand for a particular itinerary or a specific ship than the cruise line itself.

Yet, just a few years ago, there was a greater difference between the mass market cruise lines, and that difference was reflected in their prices.

One of the problems with comparing the norm today vs in the past is that cruising use to be a very expensive vacation that most middle class people could not afford.

With today's prices, however, most people can afford to cruise.

With this in mind, should cruise lines include everything they did at one time in their basic cruise fare, and raise their prices, or continue to keep their prices at a level that is affordable for most middle class people?

Raise prices (on some lines) and give us what we used to get.

I would not say that cruising twenty years ago was an expensive vacation, even though it included much better quality food, including caviar, tableside preparation, silver service as opposed to plated, etc. on lines that I would think similar to what Celebrity purports to be (and perhaps was).

It was also not an in-expensive vacation. You got more what you paid for, even if you were not on Royal Viking Line. We never went on an all-inclusive line, so drinks have always been extra, as have massages and tips to wait staff. Aside from that, though, there were no art auctions, no soda cards, etc. I never heard of or saw people hogging chairs, smuggling booze onboard (and it was not prohibited to bring some wine onboard). Cruise lines always gave out prizes for participation and games won. Dining rooms weren't closed on port days.

We couldn't afford to travel in the fancy cabins then, and that was just fine.

Standard oceanview cabins were the norm.

Cruising the upper end of mainstream lines (e.g. the niche Celebrity pretends still to be in) was far more enjoyable than now, and there were very few children or affinity groups onboard.

I would rather pay somewhat more (a fair rate) and get the experience we used to get, rather than have all the lines have to cut corners in order to fill every ship all the time just so they can make up for what the cruise should cost by instead ever more ways to generate revenue once we're onboard.

If some lines want to cater to groups, etc., let them, but I wish that lines like Celebrity would stop cutting corners, especially when it comes to food quality and time in ports. And I want a free shuttle to the nearest point, at least off the long dock, but preferably to the town center!

I am willing to pay more but only if I can have an experience similar to what we used to get in the same niche.

We've got a luxury line cruise booked, but we would also like to have a good upscale line available.

I would not say that cruising twenty years ago was an expensive vacation, even though it included much better quality food, including caviar, tableside preparation, silver service as opposed to plated, etc. on lines that I would think similar to what Celebrity purports to be (and perhaps was).

It was also not an in-expensive vacation. You got more what you paid for, even if you were not on Royal Viking Line. We never went on an all-inclusive line, so drinks have always been extra, as have massages and tips to wait staff. Aside from that, though, there were no art auctions, no soda cards, etc. I never heard of or saw people hogging chairs, smuggling booze onboard (and it was not prohibited to bring some wine onboard). Cruise lines always gave out prizes for participation and games won. Dining rooms weren't closed on port days.

Cruising the upper end of mainstream lines (e.g. the niche Celebrity pretends still to be in) was far more enjoyable than now, and there were very few children or affinity groups onboard.

I would rather pay somewhat more (a fair rate) and get the experience we used to get, rather than have all the lines have to cut corners in order to fill every ship all the time just so they can make up for what the cruise should cost by instead ever more ways to generate revenue once we're onboard.

If some lines want to cater to groups, etc., let them, but I wish that lines like Celebrity would stop cutting corners, especially when it comes to food quality and time in ports. And I want a free shuttle to the nearest point, at least off the long dock, but preferably to the town center!

I am willing to pay more but only if I can have an experience similar to what we used to get in the same niche.

We've got a luxury line cruise booked, but we would also like to have a good upscale line available.

I tried to say essentially the same thing previously in this thread but you said it much better. I agree with you 100%

Best,

Bruce

It is interesting to see how people differ in their opinion about which special touches have a positive impact on their overall enjoyment of a cruise and which ones don't really matter.

Maybe it is possible that Celebrity is trying to reallocate their personnel resources to do other things that they consider to be more important than carrying trays, with the exception of those who actually need the assistance.

Or, maybe it is possible that Celebrity continues to cut costs hoping that customer loyalty and a whole lot of indifference will lead its customers not to notice or not to complain.

Hi AAA American :)

With today's prices, however, most people can afford to cruise

In my opinion, the only thing that has changed recently is that all of the mass market cruise lines today, including "premium mass market" are more alike than they are different, which includes their prices. Pricing today on a mass market cruise line is more a factor of supply and demand for a particular itinerary or a specific ship than the cruise line itself.

Yet, just a few years ago, there was a greater difference between the mass market cruise lines, and that difference was reflected in their prices.

I totally disagree with your interpretation. From my point of view, what I believe is driving this change in quality is that the mass cruise lines, in many cases, are now stock driven. Their bottom line is to please the stockholders with their financial returns. Corporate-driven greed is what is affecting our lives in every aspect today. I remember when the price of gas for our cars was never affected just because there was a hurricane somewhere in our country. Now, every little occurrence raises the cost of everything to the consumers, only because they can, justified or not. And unfortunately, there is no one to control it. Except us - the consumers. So when a cruise line goes too far, just don't book with them anymore. I have discontinued sailing HAL for that very reason. That is all I can do - and I will do it.:)

Just off Summit this week in the Med. Never saw trays being carried for anyone. They are definitely cleared quickly from the tables.

I find this statement very surprising. My DW and I were on Summit from Barcelona to Venice (15 Aug to 27 Aug 2008) in CC cabin 9160. (See posted review). I was offered assistance to carry my tray about 75% of the time - (refused, because I am 45 and in good health). I saw trays being carried all the time! Hot Water/Tea/Coffee refills were relatively plentiful, also. There has been no decline in service that I've noticed (5 Celebrity cruises from 2003 to date).

As far as it goes however, I would be willing to pay a bit more for the dining room to be available on port days ...

Hi Oceans and Rivers :)

To provide a frame of reference, my parents took cruises during the fifties and sixties, without their children, when they were a lot more expensive than a comparable land based vacation. My husband and I took our first cruise during the middle seventies and they were still more expensive than a land based vacation at the time, but it was our honeymoon and we wanted to do something special for it.

The question I posed was rhetorical and I also would rather pay more for a cruise then to have cruise lines cut corners to make them more affordable. However, I don't think we are typical of most people who cruise today and the cruise lines realize that.

Offering to carry someones tray was a nice no cost to Celebrity touch, too bad they stopped that.

Since when? I find this statement very surprising. My DW and I were on Summit from Barcelona to Venice (15 Aug to 27 Aug 2008) in CC cabin 9160. (See posted review). I was offered assistance to carry my tray about 75% of the time - (refused, because I am 45 and in good health). I saw trays being carried all the time! Hot Water/Tea/Coffee refills were relatively plentiful, also. There has been no decline in service that I've noticed (5 Celebrity cruises from 2003 to date).

As far as it goes however, I would be willing to pay a bit more for the dining room to be available on port days ...

I went on the Century in 2005, I am booked again to sail in November. The nice touches that Celebrity did was one of the reasons I rebooked. I booked this time with family members telling them of the walking to your room and them carrying the trays. I really enjoyed this, it made me feel special. If this isnt done when we sail in November they will not be above the rest. I love Celebrity but these are some of the reasons. I wish someone from Celebrity would say if this is something they will continue or stop.

Dorene

Hey I am just happy that there are trays. Been on Princess, Carnival and NCLA and they only provided large plates and no trays. So you needed to do a great balancing act and the added pain of going back and forth to get your drinks etc.

If someone needs physical help to manage carrying a tray that is one thing but I personally dont need someone to carry my tray to a table. I was on the Mercury a few years ago, am in good health and I found it unecessary.

Hey I am just happy that there are trays. Been on Princess, Carnival and NCLA and they only provided large plates and no trays. So you needed to do a great balancing act and the added pain of going back and forth to get your drinks etc.

If someone needs physical help to manage carrying a tray that is one thing but I personally dont need someone to carry my tray to a table. I was on the Mercury a few years ago, am in good health and I found it unecessary.

Not quite the point Breezey but point taken.

Archived