Napa Valley Tours

shabal57

I will be in San Francisco next May. The ship is in port from 8:00 AM until 10:00 PM. Would love to do a Napa Valley tour. There should be more then enough time.

Any suggestions? We are a group of 4. Has anyone taken a tour (private or semi-private) that they can recommend?

Thanks,

Shari

Hello,

I would consider renting a car and especially because you can save some real money if there are 4 of you, as compared to taking a tour. The Napa Valley is about an hour north of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge. By renting a car you can take a truly wonderful drive from San Francisco to the Napa Valley, stopping to see Fort Point, Golden Gate Bridge scenic lookouts, Sausalito, Muir Woods, and the Napa Valley itself well within 8 or 9 hours.

And you can get all of the picnic food you need at the Safeway store in the Marina District, which is on the way.

The two wineries you do not want to miss are the Robert Mondavi and the Buena Vista (BV) for their historical, setting, and cultural aspects.

From the port area of San Francisco you will not have to drive up any big hills.

Plan on getting back to the ship by about 5:00 PM, which will allow you to see some of San Francisco at night, and even take a cable car ride.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

This will give you some idea. The first link is specific to wine country. The second is all Grayline for SF

http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/sanfrancisco.go?mode=activityDetail&apid=1523&sid=540

http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/sanfrancisco.go

I like this one. Ferry Bldg is close to Pier 35 and you could negotiate a ride from Pier 35 to Ferry Bldg.

http://www.winecountrytourshuttle.com/?utm_source=B_winecountry&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=generic

If you are on May 9, 2009, Sapphire, that is a wine cruise. So watch for the Princess Excursions as soon as it is released because Princess may have gotten some good deals.

Somewhere I have a list of more exclusive wine country tours for small groups and I will try to find it.

Enjoy.

I would not recommend one of the big bus tour companies like grayline. As many of the wineries are no longer allowing bus's to park in their lots.

As another poster mentioned it is an easy drive and very pretty. The most scenic would be to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and up the 101 thru Marin and then take the 121 thru Sonoma and then hwy 29 on into Napa. Lots of small and large wineries along the way.

If you really want to go with a tour guide, I've heard good things about the wine shuttle. I believe you take the ferry from San Francisco and they pick you up in Vallejo just about 8-10 miles south of Napa and start your tour from there. Here is the link: http://www.wineshuttle.com/

If you do hire a private guide (driver) try to make it to the CIA for a snack and Copia. Wine is great but paired with food is one of life's great pleasures. If you can semi plan your tour you can visit some of the best of the best wineries and not be herded to the 'on the list' places.

So hire a car for the day - do your research and plan your must sees and want to visit wineries. So you have to dig in your pockets for the 'tasting fees' but many of the less visited places will waive the fees if you buy wine.

We took a wonderful wine tour using Tower Tours in SF. We weren't on a ship that trip, but the tour was about 8 hours long. It was a big bus, but it wasn't full and it was new and nice. We stopped at one winery in Napa and two in Sonoma. Lunch wasn't included in the tour, but we stopped in downtown Sonoma where there were several luncheon options (you could go where you chose--you didn't have to stay with the group) We had a terrific lunch at Cucina Viansa. This tour also included a stop for pictures at the Golden Gate. The bus driver was very informative and pointed out many landmarks. We liked the tour so much that when we returned to the tour office, we booked another tour for the next day to Muir Woods/Sausalito. That was a wonderful tour too.

I'm sure you would see a lot more if you rented a car, but then someone has to drive and cannot partake of all the delicious wine. We wanted to be able to drink and sightsee and let someone else do the driving.

We would do the same tour again--we enjoyed it that much. Whatever you decide, I hope you have as much fun as we did.

Thank you all for your great responses. As someone said, the only part of renting a car is that the person driving cannot partake in all of the wine tastings. I will do some more research and follow up on all your suggestions.

Hello,

Please remember that you are taking a couple of sips of wine at each stop and to keep this simple and fun, see two or three wineries and do not miss other wonderful sights. As I have visited wineries not only in Napa and Sonoma and tasted wine in many places, the suggestion that you will need a designated driver doesn't make any sense. You are tasting wine which means you are sipping, and no where close to drinking glasses of wine. Rent a car as it is by far the best way to see this area. And if there are any English teachers or serious readers in your group, do not miss the Jack London State Park and see his home.

Remember to get your picnic supplies at the Safeway in the Marina District.

Fred

Surprisingly enough, you can buy a glass of wine at the wineries as well--even bottles if you prefer.

Hello,

Of course you can by glasses of wine, bottles of wine, cases of wine and probably even wine by the barrel. My point is that generally, you do not need a designated driver when you go wine tasting.

I hope that the OP doesn't choose an expensive tour when you can see the Wine Country and much more on your own at a much lower overall cost.

Fred

I do NOT recommend a guided tour of wine country. Hiring a car and driver, however, could be fun and lets you sit back and enjoy the scenery. It gets pricey . . . just depends on what kind of experience you want.

There are two ways to get to Napa - take the Golden Gate Bridge to 101 (not 80/Bay Bridge) it might show a few extra miles on the map, but it is much more scenic and less likely to get caught in traffic. And driving over the Golden Gates is always a highlight of any day! 101N ~ 37E ~ 121N ~ 29N. You will also pass some terrific fruit/vegetable stands. Seriously, worth a stop!

A few things to keep in mind - Napa Valley is a long, narrow valley. I wouldn't plan on visiting more than 3 wineries - and if in Napa, I always recommend Sterling as one of them since they have the nifty tram ride (extra cost, but well worth it as you get a bird's eye view of Napa Valley). I usually recommend Domaine Chandon as a stop - and they have an amazing restaurant overlooking vineyards. They make sparkling wine so this will be a special twist to one of your stops. Then I might pick one other somewhere in between these two. Picnic lunch is also an option - but again, plan ahead. Some wineries offer picnic facilities.

Many wineries offer other interesting things: art collections, historic buildings, extensive gardens (Far Niente has my favorite gardens + a vintage car collection!) so depending on your interests - besides the wine you enjoy drinking - this might impact your decision.

It gets hot in Napa - really hot even in May. I would start at the northern most point and work your way down the valley (gets cooler as you get closer to the Bay). It can take 30-60 min to drive from St. Helena to Napa - fyi. While a much shorter distance, the wineries are working facilities with trucks in/out - some of the HWY is just 2 lane road with stop lights, etc.

If you want to shop in addition to tasting - my picks would be St. Helena as there are many boutique shops, olive oil companies, etc. Also Yountville is fun for shopping. Calistoga at the northermost point has the spas - maybe a mud bath and two wineries?

Food is a big deal in wine country . . . Taylor's Refresher just south of St. Helena is a classic burger joint - but everything is fresh and made on site. Tra Vigne is elegant, but wine country classic dining. Picnics are always lovely and Oakville Grocery is a great place for gourmet sandwiches. And my favorite because it has amazing food, incredible setting and is also a winery: Domaine Chandon in Yountville.

Although only 60 miles north of San Francisco - allow 90 minutes - lots of stop/go traffic (other tourists :) )

A leisurely drive through wine country is awesome. Check for festivals and what is happening that time of year. http://www.sfgate.com Can't recall when the mustard festival is over - but that is fun too. The fun part is learning why the wineries grow mustard - and learning how important the soil is in the process. I am a gardener and wine lover - so I really get into that part. But it might not be your cup of tea, so to speak.

Don't go to any winery that allows buses - generally, that also means the wine isn't good anyway. Some stops are just tourists traps - and they don't even make wine at the facility.

The better wineries charge a nominal fee for tasting - go with it! It probably means you are going to sample better wines. I can taste mediocre wine anywhere . . . allow yourself to learn and challenge your palate.

Decide if you want to take tours - and look up the info in advance. Some wineries offer self guided - and some require reservations or have specific times. Plan ahead if you don't want to be disappointed.

All the wineries have info on their websites - just google them. Hours, facilities, etc.

Wineries can't discount their wine - so you can probably buy cheaper versions at the grocery store. However, wineries offer much more extensive selections of their wine and often can discount if purchasing a full case - and they can ship to you. That is a much better souvenir of your trip than a t-shirt!

If looking at a map, be careful not to think you are visiting the town of Napa. This is the southern tip of the Napa Valley and IMO, skip the town of Napa. Generally, all the good wineries are further north (Rutherford, Oakville, St. Helena, etc. etc.)

Copia is a museum with mixed reviews with an overpriced restaurant catering to busloads of tourists. That said, some folks like the crowded tourist stops. This too depends on your taste and interest. I don't recommend it. The wine dispensers tend to malfunction and charge you without tasting. And what fun is that getting wine out of a mechanical thing. Much more fun to talk to someone who can help with education and enhance the experience.

Sonoma Valley just to the west with its Valley of the Moon drive is equally beautiful. I tend to like it a tad more because it is less focused on tourists - more on wine. But I've had the pleasure of visiting both - many, many, many times. Headed to Oakville today in fact. Napa is known for its reds - Sonoma has a little cooler climate so it is amazing Chardonnays and Pinot Noir. Many exceptions though . ..

We've given you many things to consider - plan to spend some time online to nail down your choices.

My favorite website for info: http://www.ilovenapa.com/

FYI- There is now a Taylors Refresher next to Copia, and also a new Oxbow public market. I have to admit, I am not a big fan of Copia either. We've been to many events there, but otherwise I would probably not go, to just look around. Weather is hit and miss, it can be hot in May but it could just as easily be cold and foggy.

I'll ditto skipping COPIA as well. Taylor's is an experience that many of us who live in the area take for granted and is a novel experience for many. It is worth the stop. Where else can you get a glass of wine with your burger and fries order from a walk up window?

We were there last weekend and I love sitting out there on the picnic tables in the back. It was an excepionally warm day and temps were up to 100 that day.

I actually feel bad that I don't like Copia. Everytime someone is headed to town and asks about Copia . . . I respond with the big pause. I've yet to chat with anyone who loved it - best review is OK, or to attend an event.

Now you've done it, I hope you are happy! I've got Taylor's Refresher on the brain and will now need to go to lunch. But I will hit the San Francisco location. :)

Don't forget the other benefit: milkshakes!!!!!!! Real ones!

Thanks everyone again for the great ideas. I think I just might map out a few wineries to visit and hire a limo for the day. There will be a small group of us so it should not be too costly.

I think we will skip Copia as just about everyone seems to hold the same opinion that it is not so good. So, all of you Napa/Sonoma efficionados, if you had to choose 2-4 wineries to visit in one day which ones would they be?

Shari

Really tough call.

It really does depend on your taste and interests. I tend to select the wineries that make fine wine, and offer something special that makes a visit special. (Not just a tasting room and gift shop) Here are my favorites for when I host family/friends:

• Sterling Vineyards (north end)– besides having terrific quality wine, the tram ride gives you bird’s eye view of Napa Valley. Maybe skip their tour and just do tasting here. Its proximity to quaint downtown St. Helena is also bonus. Walking the town and doing some shopping is fun – be sure to include Olivier Napa Valley. Awesome olive oils, dipping sauces, etc. Terrific thank you gifts for the house sitter, work colleagues, etc.
  • Far Niente (mid-Napa Valley)– the winery was founded in the 1800s and their building is on National Register of Historic Places. One of my favorite wines and I’ve had 3 tours here – excellent! It includes their extensive gardens (check out the cork oak trees planted over 100 years ago) and their classic car collection. I think reservations necessary. They recently were featured on the front page of the SF Chronicle as they converted to solar power – not sure if that is now on the tour, but it sure looked innovative – using their pond for the solar panels. Be sure to taste their late harvest wine: Dolce. Sister winery Nickel & Nickel is quite outstanding as well.
  • Then on the south end, Domaine Chandon (great lunch stop) this would be fun because making sparkling wine is a completely different process than still wines. They also make still – but their sparkling wines are lovely. Gorgeous grounds here too. The town of Yountville also has much to offer for shopping.

Check whether reservations are required and allow yourself extra time to meander.

Once you come back as a repeat, I would suggest Sonoma (Sonoma Square, Healdsburg, Valley of the Moon . . . so many to choose here too!) and when you repeat Napa, I would suggest touring wineries on Silverado Trail.

OK, that's my story and I am sticking to it. For the moment anyway! Have fun planning - and check the website I recommended earlier, it might be more helpful matching wineries to your interests.

Good luck!

Those are all good choices, there are just so many wineries, it's hard to recommend them. I think I would try to get an early start and hit atleast a couple on Silverado Trail. Silverado winery has a beautiful view of the valley.

I also like V. Sattui, and you may want to check out Castle winery. http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage&pageid=4dd97e24-be23-d978-c638-e5d96bcd90b3

Good luck!

Thanks all you fellow WINOs. I have never been to Copia and recommended it only because it seemed to be such a great place to visit. When we tried to go it was closed that day.

For the OP if you want to maximize your tasting time stay in Napa Valley. Sonoma is a wonderful place to visit but if time is short staying in Napa gives you more time for food and wine. (Less time driving to the north).

I would suggest to walk to the ferry terminal in SF and ride the ferry to Vallejo, then meet up with a town car to take you on a tour of wine country. :p (Now both parties can enjoy tasting without the hassle of driving)

One winery that I suggest that you must see is Mumms. (Sparkling wine) :D And one place you must stop at is St. Helena Olive Oil. (Nice sample of the flavor of Napa) It is located on the corner of Hwy 29/128.

Another vote for Tyler's! (It was featured on the food network)

Archived