Is it better to sail W. Carribean in Feb or May?

newbie2rc

We are booked to sail the Freedom in February of 2009. I just received a job offer to teach the spring semester. They said they'd work around my vacation. But, I am considering cancelling and rebooking the cruise for May 2009 when the semester is over. DH thinks May will be better - we have kids and we usually battle more illness in February than in May. I would like a nice winter escape (in Feb). But the real point is we are taking our family for a great cruise and want to have a great time. Any opinions on time of year to cruise?

The price difference is only about $370 for the 5 of us (costs more in May). We have a family oceanview at the front of the ship - I hope we don't get sea sick - I'm reading about how to stay away from the forward part. YIKES!

Because very hot weather bothers me, I'd choose Feb. Nov. for me was way too hot in the Western Carribean. You might also check to get average temps and rain for those 2 months.

At any time though, a cruise is a wonderful vacation. I just stay on the ship in hot ports. I do hope your whole family will enjoy this special trip.

Jan

I just cruised the Western Caribbean this February and loved it!! The weather is gorgeous and it is a nice treat to get away from the cold winter weather back home :) We sailed on the Mariner and had stops in Labadee, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Perfect weather at each of these destinations.

It sounds like February is the better time weather wise. I'm afraid of those higher seas, though. We might need to reconsider that cabin in the forward of the ship. Problem is - the family ocean view rooms (which are big enogh to sleep 6 - and there are 5 of us) are the most reasonable price yet they are only located in the forward or down on the 2nd deck. Right now our room is located on the 8th deck - right under the bridge! We'd have 4 big windows. Great views I hear! Lots of rockin?

I di check the "average" weather in the ports we are visiting - Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel - and there is a lower average rainfall in February and more mild temperatures. But we don't mind the heat. I'll show DH all the input.

Thanks so much!

Here is my 2 cents. The Freedom, being so large does not move in the seas as much as the smaller vision class, however, the 8th floor forward has the most movement of the ship. Why not get two connecting rooms about midship? Or if your children are older rooms accross the hall from each other. Then you would have privacy and two bathrooms. I have crused late April and February, both are great. I love hot weather and sunshine, both months have lots of that. I think your changes of high waves are the same. If you have bad winters I would go in February, if not do the May cruise.

It sounds like February is the better time weather wise. I'm afraid of those higher seas, though. We might need to reconsider that cabin in the forward of the ship. Problem is - the family ocean view rooms (which are big enogh to sleep 6 - and there are 5 of us) are the most reasonable price yet they are only located in the forward or down on the 2nd deck. Right now our room is located on the 8th deck - right under the bridge! We'd have 4 big windows. Great views I hear! Lots of rockin?

I di check the "average" weather in the ports we are visiting - Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel - and there is a lower average rainfall in February and more mild temperatures. But we don't mind the heat. I'll show DH all the input.

Thanks so much!

I vote for February too, for the reaons others have stated.

If you're worried about the stateroom location and wish to change to mid-ship, I'd opt for connecting rooms. The extra bath is wonderful when there are 5 getting ready for dinner/excursions/etc. And with the door open (and balcony dividers if applicable) you have a lot of space, and can have privacy if needed. ..just my 2 cents

Got RCI on the phone - to change now to 2 connecting rooms would cost us about $1400 more :eek: . It's because they would have to charge two of the kids as adults - prices are based on 2 adults per room. Also - we'd need the bigger type of cabin that sleeps at least 3 (not the one that sleeps 2). I requested the price on deck 6 or higher.

I'm going to price again if I get a "sale" email. But my kids are fairly young (6, 8, and 10) and I do like to have them in the same room with me. The FO is about the same size as the DCL Cat 4 room we stayed in on the Disney Wonder. In fact, it's a little bigger inside - but unlike the DCL - we won't have a balcony and we have to stay at the forward of the ship or way down low. The junior suites with balconies will not sleep 5 of us - or I'd do that. The Deluxe Family Suite is too much $$ for us.

Thanks for all the feedback - and it was nice to hear that someone stayed in a FO in the forward of the ship and liked it!

I'm still thinking February based on the feedback - we live in PA and the winter is long and cold and I'm usually in need of a little sunshine right about the time February rolls around.:) I love sunshine!

Thanks for all the help!

With the age of your children you might want to go with two OVs midship on either 3 or 4. The price is right and no danger of the balcony temptation for the little ones. Of course as I said before those big ships don't move much anyway so your room sounds great. I too would opt out for the winter vacation. :cool:

Archived