Hoonah: Our pictures in story form:

SEPyle

Thank you so much for sharing those pics. Remember me, you and I met Koo Hook(Howard). We had that in common. I just bet it was really nice to see him again. I love Icy Strait and am sure going to try to go back there again. Thanks for the pics. That place is unbelievable.

marilyn

We had a day in Icy Strait Point earlier this month while on the Radiance of the Seas northbound from Vancouver to Seward.

One of my frustrations was that there were no opportunities for tours except those arranged through the ship. Even when I researched Hoonah and Icy Strait Point I eventually got to a message that said book through the cruise line.

ILoveScotland; I'm wondering what search said to book thru the cruise line? It sounds to me that it might have been on one of their web sites. Is that correct? I ask because there are quite a few options for independent excursions in Hoonah. I can't say for sure which ones offer handicap accessable excursions, I'm sure there are some!

With that said, in my opinion, this is one port of call that booking thru the cruise line is often a good option because the tours are led in the most part by locals who love their town and want to share the wonder of the area and their culture. I've done both. I will say our Whale Watch with Alaskan Raven Charters was over the top incredible, and going on a Charter with 6 people or less is an experience in a lifetime! With that said, I feel going with an independent is a great way to go for whale watching!

One great one (thru the cruise line) in my opinion is the Tribal Dance and Cultural Legends performance. In 2005 we had the great fortune of sitting on the dock in Icy Strait as a group (some of which are part of the above performance), of local Tlingit townspeople celebrated their culture as they danced to the beat of drums! Let me explain: It wasn't just a performance; I sensed it was a gunuine expression of who they were as a people! In 2006 we went back and made a point of going to the show. It was really good; and again I sensed the same passion! Our fun night at the Office on this trip, we were with Howard (the drummer back in 2005); and with Johan (spelling???) who leads the Cultural Legends performance. I asked Johan after so many performances if it's become more of a show, or if they can still feel the passion. I wish you could have heard his response. With such passion he described how he feels it just gets better and better!

Also; when we went out with Ora/Alaskan Raven Charters, Royal (with Royal Charters) came out with us. He actually is the vendor the cruise ship uses for their Halibut excursions. And by the way; Howard led up the kayaking team this year for excursions thru the cruise lines. Our Wildlife search was also thru Ora with Alaskan Raven Charters, and there are other independent operators too such as Keith/Tekk Outfiters.

I said all that to say: In Icy Strait Point, there's quite a few options, and even thru the cruise lines, you can't go wrong!

I sure do remember you Marilyn! Yes, you're right, it was great seeing him again, and in fact, I left him a message yesterday to visit 'critic square' again! Remember, he used to call CruiseCritic...critic square! Come on Howard, come visit and say hi! We miss you at critic square!

For anyone who is new to cruisecritic; howard (Koo Hook) started a thread back in July 2004. Here's a link in case anyone wants to learn a wealth of information about Hoonah/Icy Strait Point:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50884

I do hope you are able to go back to our favorite place! As you can see, we just keep going back!

Sharon

Sharon, I sure hope that Howard comes back. That thread that he started was one of the neatest threads ever. He made it so that we all wanted to go and visit Hoonah and guess what some us did. Like you and me we got to meet him. Again thanks for the review and the memories of those pictures.

Marilyn

The web site that says book through the cruise line is icystraitpoint.com. What we did worked well given my husband's limitations, and yes both the excursions we took were led by people who have for the most part lived there for a long time.

We opted for the Hoonah sightseeing rather than the Tribal Dance and Cultural Legends. We visited the Native Heritage Center in Anchorage and saw some of what we'd missed.

kk-1; I sure wish you hadn't mentioned a jet boat out of Petersburg...that's one more place I would love to visit: another place you don't get to w/o effort!

Actually, there are several ships that visit Petersburg as a port of call so it's not as difficult as it once was. I think the cruise lines are looking for alternative ports as the traditional ones become more crowded.

I printed out the port schedule in Alaska for 2008 on www.claalaska.com/schedules.html before our trip so I could see who would be in port the same day as we were. It was fun watching the big ships sail into and out of the ports.

I just looked at the schedule again and saw the following ships had Petersburg on their itinerary this year: Dawn Princess, Mercury, Infinity, Millennium, Radiance of the Sea, Seranade of the Sea. The Cruise West and Lindblad boats also stop there. I don't know which cruise line you favor but maybe one of them is a possibility for your next visit.

Haines is another small port you might be interested in (they have jet boats too). This year the Dawn Princesss, Volendam and Zaandam as well as Cruise West had port days here.

Thank you for sharing your experiences in Hoonah, I think a lot of people would like to visit there as well. Your day with the whales was one of the best!

Has anyone been on any of the Alaska ferries? I've looked at the web site and think it would be an interesting way to travel up or down or around the Inside Passage.

I'd be interested as well. The option of stopping off at a port for several days is appealing. Plus the ability to visit many of the smaller ports...and the capabilities of sailing the smaller waterways. I've seen several posts from locals and others who use the Marine Highway extensively. I understand it may be more expensive than a traditional cruise according to some C/C posts. And...they suggest just renting a car in port if you need one rather than trying to take a car on the ferry.

If you don't get any response on this thread...you may try starting another specifically about the Alaska Marine Highway. Or see if the "Search" posts/threads is working. I've not had great luck with it but sometimes it works.

I'd be interested as well. The option of stopping off at a port for several days is appealing. Plus the ability to visit many of the smaller ports...and the capabilities of sailing the smaller waterways. I've seen several posts from locals and others who use the Marine Highway extensively. I understand it may be more expensive than a traditional cruise according to some C/C posts. And...they suggest just renting a car in port if you need one rather than trying to take a car on the ferry.

If you don't get any response on this thread...you may try starting another specifically about the Alaska Marine Highway. Or see if the "Search" posts/threads is working. I've not had great luck with it but sometimes it works.

I agree, this would be a great way to visit the smaller towns and cities. Also a very scenic way of going from place to place. Here's the problem I found when I began to research going to Hoonah by the ferry system. The ferry's don't run every day and you have to really plan to be able to use it effectively. Also often the ferry arrives or leaves late at night...even in the middle of the night, so logistically it can be a challeng.

Here's what could be a plan...Someone mentioned Peterburg...a neat destination and accessable by ferry. Hoonah; Sitka; Haines; and other possiblilites would be a fantastic pre or post cruise option. We flew from Charlotte to Seattle; Seattle to Juneau; Juneau to Hoonah; Hoonah to Juneau; Juneau to Anchorage; and then took the Southbound cruise ending in Vancouver; rented a car and drove to Seattle for our red eye back to Charlotte. I didn't book the air till late February and booked it on Orbits. The total including taxes for Orbits portion and R/T Juneau/Hoonah came to $975.20.

So, with good planning, it's possible to do Alaska in a unique and very special way!

Here's what could be a plan...Someone mentioned Peterburg...a neat destination and accessable by ferry. Hoonah; Sitka; Haines; and other possiblilites would be a fantastic pre or post cruise option. So, with good planning, it's possible to do Alaska in a unique and very special way!

SEPyle: Look at my post which is about two up. I list at least half a dozen "traditional" large cruise ships that go into Petersburg and a few that go into Haines.

I was very surprised when I read from above poster that said that Princess goes to Petersburg as I know Princess routes very well so I looked at the CCL site and only once did the Dawn go to Petersburg. In fact it was on their first cruise of the season from S.F. They also go only once or twice to Haines. Now I wish that the Sea Princess which will do this route next year have more times scheduled for haines but they do not for 2009. Either 1 or 2.

Marilyn

I'm too am quite surprised because I pretty much know the ports of call's for the various ships, & I don't know of Petersburg being a port of call for the Seranade; Radiance or Millenium??? Please know kk-1; I'm not questioning your knowledge; I'm questioning the accuracy of the chart. If I'm having a brain fade, I hope someone who has been on the above ships calling on Petersburg, please let me know!

I'm too am quite surprised because I pretty much know the ports of call's for the various ships, & I don't know of Petersburg being a port of call for the Seranade; Radiance or Millenium??? Please know kk-1; I'm not questioning your knowledge; I'm questioning the accuracy of the chart. If I'm having a brain fade, I hope someone who has been on the above ships calling on Petersburg, please let me know!

"Previous quote": "only once did the Dawn go to Petersburg. In fact it was on their first cruise of the season from S.F. They also go only once or twice to Haines." Once to Petersburg and twice to Haines on Princess...sounds like the big ships were there this year.

I only know what the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska reports on their website. I can say from first hand experience that they were "spot on" as to which ships were there the days we were in port. Contact the various cruise lines, or look at their websites if you have interest in these ports.

As the previous poster noted...some of these ports are only offered on a repositioning cruise or on a limited basis...just as you pointed out is the case at Icy Strait. There may not be a plethora of offerings...but if you have the flexibility the opportunity is there.

Hopefully...bottom dragger sees this post...he will know who visits "tiny town".

well, tiny town doesn't have a deep water port. the state offered to build us one in the 80's but the city voted it down. because........ (wait for it) we didn't want the mega-cruise ships coming to town.

we get lindblad and cruise west on a regular schedule (i saw them putting all of the cruise west buses on the ferry today, season's over). the wrangell narrows is only dredged to a depth of 20' during mean low water and too narrow and too twisty to accomodate anything much larger than the m/v columbia ~400' long.

it is rare, not even yearly, that i see a large cruise ship. they anchor in frederick sound just north of town and liter (sp?) almost 2 miles ship to dock.

the ferry system is a bus service. their schedule is designed to move people and freight. if you decide to use them as your transportation, you will very much be your own travel agent. lots of research will be required. and.....because it's not a daily schedule, you may end up having to stay in a real boring town (like the one just south of tiny town that i won't name) for much longer than you would really enjoy. cabins are utilitarian, but clean. you still get the people that grab the best seats and camp out in the observation lounge all day. back when i was younger.............i was moving a crew from tiny town to that boring town to the south and we couldn't find any seats in the observation lounge. one of my crew shouted "whales on the port side!!" we now had seats on the starboard side....oh, back in the days.

enough, gotta go.

Thanks bottom-dragger for letting us know. I pretty much know the various itineraries in Alaska and I and I was quite sure the ships I mentioned didn't visit Petersburg; but when you see them listed on something that looks official, you begin to wonder. It would be fun sometime to take a cruise on one of the ships that visit on an infrequent basis...or better yet; having the fun (and frustration???) of planning an Alaska Ferry trip! I know when we visited Hoonah, we really did want to use the ferry; but it just didn't work for us.

By the way, ff-1; We did visit Haines on the Volendam. This year they alternated; one week Sitka; the next week Haines.

Have a great weekend everyone!

well, tiny town doesn't have a deep water port. the state offered to build us one in the 80's but the city voted it down. because........ (wait for it) we didn't want the mega-cruise ships coming to town.

it is rare, not even yearly, that i see a large cruise ship. they anchor in frederick sound just north of town and liter (sp?) almost 2 miles ship to dock

Pssssst...Joe... it's tender. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/cruiseterms.html

It's a "foreign" term to those of you in Petersburg...I'm sure you'll keep it that way.

snork.......now we're even

how close did you get to the face of leconte???

and you told them my name!!!!!

I love it...I saw your reply bottom-dragger, pretty late last night when we got home from our Friday night outing. It didn't quite dawn on me what you meant by liter...and quickly equated it to your great pic at the bottom of all your posts and thougth...OK, you must have have had some good Ambers before your post!:D

wait a minute, i got it here somewhere, is it in this pocket?....here it is

'lighter' is to move cargo from ship to shore. i guess it's all point of view whether you're onboard a tender or a lighter.

www.iwasrightafterall.com/cargotermsforcruisers.html

(que the sound of mrs bottom-dragger giving bottom-dragger a dope slap for acting like a jerk)

I no longer like this thread! :D :eek:

I have only been back home two weeks from my first trip to Alaska, and reading all these posts makes me want to be back there right now--anywhere along the Inside Passage to see ports I missed will do for starters although I also want to go to Denali and Fairbanks next time. Heck, I want to go to Nome and Barrow and everywhere in between!

Maybe I'll win the NC lottery tonight so I can retire and spend many months in this land I never wanted to visit and now can only wait to return.

I no longer like this thread! :D :eek:

I have only been back home two weeks from my first trip to Alaska, and reading all these posts makes me want to be back there right now--anywhere along the Inside Passage to see ports I missed will do for starters although I also want to go to Denali and Fairbanks next time. Heck, I want to go to Nome and Barrow and everywhere in between!

Maybe I'll win the NC lottery tonight so I can retire and spend many months in this land I never wanted to visit and now can only wait to return.

Oh dear 'ILoveScotland' seems as though you caught the Alaska bug too...it's called Alaska Withdrawal Syndrome! I know exactly what you mean. I never had the desire to go to Alaska either. Back in 2004 my husband started talking about going to Alaska. He kept telling me to book it (I don't know if I've mentioned it; but I'm a TA). Finally one day he said: "Here's the credit card; don't come home till you book it!" I did, then started doing the research. By the time we left on the trip I could hardly wait. My husband is ready to move up there and on this trip he started to talk about where he wants to move...someday maybe; but I don't want to go that far away from my first Grandbaby who lives in Key West...talk about the longest possible distance!

wait a minute, i got it here somewhere, is it in this pocket?....here it is

'lighter' is to move cargo from ship to shore. i guess it's all point of view whether you're onboard a tender or a lighter.

www.iwasrightafterall.com/cargotermsforcruisers.html

(que the sound of mrs bottom-dragger giving bottom-dragger a dope slap for acting like a jerk)

Well...mrs. bottom-dragger may not appreciate that she's married to someone who's pretty much on target. Lighter/tender...you say tomatoes...I say tomatoes. But I've discovered it's never a bad idea to dope slap Mr. Kathy occasionally. Keeps everyone grounded.

To those who follow Alaska posts...take bottom-dragger's word as to what's what in Alaska. He's been there, done that...and has nothing to sell.

Sorry for outing you. People...forget what I said. Just forget it!!!

As to how far the jet boats were from Le Conte Glacier. Mr. Kathy said it's pretty difficult to judge. The glaciers are huge and the perspective gets distorted. His boat (guided by the high school science teacher) was twice as far from the glacier as the other jet boat. Comfort factor for the science teacher I'm sure. Even at that distance his boat rocked considerably after a calving. It was not a gentle rock according to Mr. Kathy (who looked at the other boat with envy even if it meant defying death). It was by far the most popular excursion of the entire cruise...half the ship (ok, 42 people) chose this excursion. I saw their pictures and was impressed. Not only the huge iceburgs which calve from below the waterline...but also the number of seals who seek shelter in the area.

As you know...I chose the Leikarring Dancers in their best bunad attire at the Sons of Norway Hall. Would not have missed those kids for the world. Love the cookbook...still trying to find a side of ribs from deer and neck meat down here in San Diego so I can make Rulle-Polse. Been more successful with the Krumkake recipes. Also took the tour with a very nice women who had four children and whose husband is a fisherman. It was very touching when one of her friends spotted us...stopped her van...and had her son take a picture of all of us. Very neighborly.

Hope you can keep things as they are in your neck of the woods. Watched "Petersburg...The Town that Fish Built" and heard a fisherman's opinion on tourism. Now that we're all gone...enjoy the piece and quiet until next year.

For those of you who may read this post...believe me Petersburg is a snore...not worth visiting...stick to the larger ports. ;)

P.S. - Did your opinion of Traitor's Cove have anything to do with the human activity which typically takes place on the weekends? The rangers felt it had an effect on the bears in the area...particularly on Mondays and Tuesdays. Would the behaviour we experienced during our visit be a result of this weekend activity?

As to how far the jet boats were from Le Conte Glacier. Mr. Kathy said it's pretty difficult to judge.

As you know...I chose the Leikarring Dancers in their best bunad attire at the Sons of Norway Hall. Would not have missed those kids for the world. Love the cookbook...still trying to find a side of ribs from deer and neck meat down here in San Diego so I can make Rulle-Polse.

P.S. - Did your opinion of Traitor's Cove have anything to do with the human activity which typically takes place on the weekends?

the jet boats at psg are a pretty new excursion. they were orginally designed to take tourists from wrangell up the stikine river. shallow draft, no propellers, a good boat for running the sandbars. but...wrangell doesn't get the big ships anymore so the boats have found a new niche and run ~40 miles north to psg to pick up passengers to take on the le conte tour.

le conte is a special place. mrs b-d and i took our kayaks there and camped at the mouth of the bay. no sleep as all night long listened to the groans and creaks and splashes of the ice bergs. the first trip of the summer is always the best, to see this year's new seal pups w/ mom.

i can get you the name of a butcher in ballard (oh yah, by golly, you betcha) washington that makes passable rulle-polse.

for a long time traitor's did not have a forest service presence and it was kind of an unregulated free-for-all. people acted like yobs and the bears said screw this, i'm outta here. i'm really happy to hear that now it's being managed similar to anan, fish creek, and pack creek and the bears have returned with the understanding that those bipeds will leave them alone and let them fish.

i came to tiny town on a two year contract agreement, 30 years ago. thinking maybe i'll stay.

I know it has been said before but THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO much for the spectacular pictures!! I would probably have had a heart attack if I had seen bubble feeding. I was excited about seeing whale tails. I have written down all the info in case I am ever able to go and stay in Hoonah. We just got back from AK on Oosterdam and loved it. It is our second trip and we love Alaskan Amber. When we got home I ordered Tshirts from their web site. I can't wait so see your other pictures! I have flagged this thread so I won't miss anything. Take care. Anne

Archived