wheelchair chargers?

suvicki

Having read a thread about eletrical equipment being confiscated I was wondering if anyone had had any problems with chargers?

Of course we need these if we are using power chairs or scooters so I cant really imagine there being a problem, but the other thread got me wondering.

Hi suvicki

On our recent Med cruise on Independence there were many electric scooter/chair users and they all seemed fine.My wife uses her manual chair on board but one of our tablemates was a scooter user and he was charging that as per normal,no problems.

Regards Doc07 :D

24+ cruises and never a problem with chrgers. The ships suppluy 110 volt outlets. I brought my big heavy charger on the first 18 cruises. Then found out I could use light weight charger for my Quicke w/c. That was after 18 cruises. Some chairs have on board chargers. Either way they all work in your cabin. My wife has a mental block and tells them we have a battery in our carry on and that gets them going. When they find out it's a charger there is never a problem. ALWAYS CARRY ON YOUR CHARGER ,YOUR CONTROLER AND YOUR MEDS. It would be devastating to get there andf be missing any of those.

Having read a thread about eletrical equipment being confiscated I was wondering if anyone had had any problems with chargers?

Of course we need these if we are using power chairs or scooters so I cant really imagine there being a problem, but the other thread got me wondering.

Make sure you bring a heavy duty strip cord. Often there are too few outlets or inaccessible ones.

I think what’s being confiscated are the power strips that have the built in surge protectors. I’ve read that for some reason they interfere with the ships power monitoring system. I always take two chargers in case one goes bad which happened on a cruise to China. I was glad I had a spare.

• 4 months later...
As long as they are "dry" batteries, they will allow them on airlines. Most airlines make you check them though and use a manual wheelchair to get to the plane. Hope this helped. DD

Let's not mislead here, most airlines try to get you to check them through and use a manual, they CANNOT make you do so. They are requied by law to allow you to ride it right up to the plane and gate check it for you.

They have several reasons why they don't want to but that is their problem. Being transferred to a manual chair, taken to your gate and being dumped there till they are suppose to come back for boarding, [often they come back but by then the plane has started to board.] and you are stuck there if you want to get a drink or bathroom use etc.

I repeat they cannot deny you the right to gate check the scooter and to keep it right up to the door.

I do not feel I was misleading in stating my many airline experiences and am offended that you see my post as such! DD

I am sorry if I offended you. I did not mean you were TRYING to mislead but the statement you made is none the less inaccurate and so I wanted to point that out to anyone trying to gate check their scooter.

It may have been your experience, I don't doubt that for a moment, as I say the airlines will try, HARD, to get you to agree to check it through and take the manual assistance. it is easier for them that way, it is NOT easier for you however.

and as I said they cannot MAKE you do it.

When I said Let's not Mislead, I just meant that the info was incorrect, so that someone would not think that was just the way it is.

Again I am sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention.

Archived