GPS on a cruise

Z'Loth

How do you download the daily progress into a laptop from the GPS. Sorry, I'm new. Do I need a certain software to do it?

Thanks

CruiseSeeker: What a great idea! It's possible someone here will have the answer, but you might also want to ask on a GPS discussion board. GPSCity.com has forums here, PocketGPSWorld has some here, and GroundSpeak has a very good and active one here. :)

If you bring a hand-held GPS with you, the level of detail available on the screen is very limited. For a better view, you can get the NOAA USCG or foreign chart for the area and plot the trip exactally using the navigational readings from the GPS. The chart also shows the detail of the shoreline, islands, and ATONS that you'll see along the way.

Took the Garmin Quest on the most recent cruise to Cozumel, Caymans and Jamaica and it fun to view. The basemap that was loaded on the unit did fine. If you want to change the settings to sea navigation for knots versus land mph that's not a bad idea.

I didn't get good reception on the balcony, but in the solarium and up on deck it worked great.

Never enough firepower and toys!

We're taking ours, but we are also hoping to do some geocaching whilst away.

Is there any other reason to take a GPS? :D

I have Geocaches plotted in all of our three ports (Mo Bay, Grand Cayman & Cozumel) :p

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We took our eTrex Legend on our recent Celebration cruise to Nassau and Freeport. We did several virtual geocaches at Nassau but we didn't go on shore at Freeport. The cab driver in Nassau got a big kick out of me and my geocaching. She even got out of the cab to help us gather the required information to "claim" the cache finds. But we also had fun just sitting in the stateroom windowsill tracking our speed and distance.

• 1 month later...

Geocaching while on a cruise, or "Cruise Caching" is a great way to create your own "shore excursion". We've Geocached on cruises while in the Bahamas/Key West and most recently while on a 10 Day Cruise to Mexico (Pacific Coast). We had a great time and saw places we would never have gone otherwise (good places).

Check out this web site about Cruise Caching: www.geocachingcruises.com

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry this post will be SLIGHTLY astray but within the boundries of techie toys. I will be taking my 7230 Blackberry (t-mobile) with me on our upcoming cruise on Celebrity Summit, I will be getting international service for the device. IF I have the wireless turned on while on the ship (at sea) will I be charged that insane $4.95 a minute cell phone charge for any DATA that would come in on the device. I would ask T-Mobile but this question I believe might confuse those who have no knowledge of service while on a ship. Thanks in advance!!!

Yep, you will be charged for the data you receive. I have brought my T-Mobile Sidekick on a cruise and also in Canada, and I had to turn it off to prevent exactly that from happening. If you didn't have any connection (which you probably won't during days at sea), then you would be okay. But if your phone makes any sort of connection on an island, you will be charged for it.

Yep, you will be charged for the data you receive. I have brought my T-Mobile Sidekick on a cruise and also in Canada, and I had to turn it off to prevent exactly that from happening. If you didn't have any connection (which you probably won't during days at sea), then you would be okay. But if your phone makes any sort of connection on an island, you will be charged for it.

Just as an FYI, I spoke to T-Mobile last night. According to the person I spoke with IF I have the international DATA service (which is about $20 a month additional) there would be NO additional charges for DATA regardless of if I was on the ship or on land. HOWEVER using VOICE would be the 4.99 per minute as stated on their website. She verified this information with her supervisor since she was unsure. IF you didn't have the international service and were just roaming and using it like that it would be $15.00 for each mb received. I had her note my account, I also wrote down her name, her supervisor's name, noted the day and time I called. So if there are additional charges on my bill when I return I will dispute them

Just thought it might be of interest to others

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've read all the pages of this thread. And I am just shocked and disappointed at the utter lack of geekiness! And I was so hopeful when I saw GPS mentioned in the title. The GPS does not a geek make! I know because I am a Geek master!

I am uniquely qualified to claim such title for myself. My premiere qualification is an Amateur Radio license. I don't mean a simple, practical VHF line of sight and repeater license. I mean a full fledged and privileged, Morse Code as a second language radio freak! I'm the kind of fellow who, when he's not riding ocean waves, surfs Continuous Waves. You can top off that criterion with an unmatched ability to make a brand new, customized Armani tux look cheap!

Maybe you've encountered such a fellow without knowing it. Here's an example of where that might have happened. Did you see the movie "Alien vs. Predator?" Maybe two minutes into the movie, there is a scene in a satellite earth station where they are discussing the discovery of the pyramidal structure under Antarctica. Did you hear that guy in the back of the theater stiffling a giggle during that scene? He was giggling because of a Morse sound effect playing under the background noise of the scene. The sound effect made a joke of the movie's tag line, "Whoever wins we lose." The Morse played, "Whoever Wins We Woose." Whatever movie sound technician attempted to alliterate the tag line, also confused the words "lose" and "loose." Hence, the solo giggle in the back of the theater during that scene. The only person who could understand such an erroneous joke is your "full fledged and privleged, Morse Code as a second language radio freak," who can also make an Armani look better if it were on a scarecrow--provided that the scarecrow be in a wheelchair.

So how does one matching such description celebrate booking a first cruise 4 years ago? If you guessed by buying a GPS--BINGO! But not just a Garmin eMap--oh no, not I! I bought the full package, Mapsource Metroguide--which indicates the lighthouses, buoys, and daymarks of all US harbors--memory cards, and interface cables. And over the course of several subsequent cruises, I have accumulated a full electronic suite case, not to be confused with a suitcase.

It can be said that my cruise begins well before the ship sails. As each cruise approaches I load expected waypoints and routes by rhumb lines into the eMap, noting where the cruise crosses tropic zones. And since the next cruise is a 14-nighter to Hawaii, that suite case now includes a laptop--which is also handy for downloading digital camera pictures--and contains PDF copies of Bowditch, the Mariners Guide to Los Angeles Harbor, the LA/LB VTS User's manual, the complete United States Coast Pilot, and Navigator software with a starfinder. All of those, except Navigator, are free for the effort of Googling and downloading. In the suite case, there is also a handheld broadband receiver, with which to monitor marine radio and listen for Morse Code beacons and time signals while at sea. And, oh boy, I can't wait to use them!

Out upon pax with mere GPS! Wedgies to mere geocachers! By Gates, I'm a GEEK! Now taking my tongue out of my cheek and looking for my Armani pocket protector--I don't leave home without it and my wife will kill me if I don't find it! ;)

Wow Steve, I've gotta hand it to you. I am a girl geek, I'm ham-licensed as well (from a whole family of hams), I just got back from a sci-fi convention, I am a gamer of many kinds...but you have got me beat. You are the nav geek extraordinaire!

I finally got a GPS unit of my own, a little eTrex Legend for my birthday last month. I'm having fun with it.

I didn't think anybody learned or used Morse Code any more. As a Coast Guard helicopter pilot many years ago I learn just enough Morse to recognize when someone was trying to indicated they were in trouble: dit-dit-dit da-da-da dit-dit-dit. :eek:

My dad was a Ham Operator back in the 70's. I remember him getting post cards from people he'd talked to and then tacking them up all over his walls. Do people still do this? ;)

My dad was a Ham Operator back in the 70's. I remember him getting post cards from people he'd talked to and then tacking them up all over his walls. Do people still do this? ;)

My father-in-law does it (DX'ing) big time, but his QSL cards go into an album rather than on the walls. :)

I got interested in ham radio when I saw my grandfather's station at a very early age, but it took me many years to get licensed. And it took me 12 years to get comfortable with using code. But now, my favorite operations are Morse contests. I hardly ever use the microphone, except on VHF.

The rumors of Morse's death are highly exaggerated. But you have to know where to listen to hear it. It is the second most popular mode of communication on Amateur allocations. And though it is no longer used commercially--USCG Comm Sta's transmited the last Morse traffic on April 1, 1995--the FCC recently issued a new license to a west coast commercial Morse station at Point Reyes, Ca. Regular operations have yet to commence, but will be announced soon. And yes, they will handle ship/shore Morse traffic. Also, traditional commercial coastal stations still use Morse to provide aural identification for their ASCII and SITOR beacons. Between their cricket chirps, you'll still hear the old dot dash 3 or 4 times a minute. And business and public service repeater systems still ID in Morse. And there are still airport NDBs that use Morse. If you ever drive close to Cleveland Hopkins airprort, you can sometimes hear CLE overwhelm AM broadcast radio signals. So Morse isn't quite dead, but it is very much like Latin--fewer people learning and speaking it.

See? I'm such a GEEK I'm not even embarrassed to admit I know that stuff! I think I started becoming a real nav geek when I started getting into radio direction finding. But I haven't yet made the jump to geocahing, though my wife and I have discussed it. Maybe, while we're in Hilo, since we haven't booked any shore tours there. That would be something fun to do.

And, Etoile, not a thing wrong with science fiction. I've read Bradbury, Heinlein, Clarke, Brown, etc, but it's not my favorite genre. And I understand how some folks can get a very wrong impression of

science fiction fans. That's what happens when a group of Klingons show up--at a Rennaissance festival! I saw that with my own eyes, one time. Spooked a horse mid-joust.

Okay Steve, I'm convenience, you are definately a GEEK. ;)

When I was flying for a living we identified the NAV Aids by their Morse Code ID (NDBs and VORs). That how we insured we had the right navaid tuned.

If you are thinking about taking up GeoCaching while on your cruise in Hawaii, check the GeoCaching Cruise Web site. (Google GeoCaching Cruises). You might find some helpful tips about caches to visit.

Here's a link to a web site with Morse Code recording you might be interested in. I'm not trying to scare prior to your cruise. http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/

Okay Steve, I'm convenience, you are definately a GEEK. ;)

When I was flying for a living we identified the NAV Aids by their Morse Code ID (NDBs and VORs). That how we insured we had the right navaid tuned.

If you are thinking about taking up GeoCaching while on your cruise in Hawaii, check the GeoCaching Cruise Web site. (Google GeoCaching Cruises). You might find some helpful tips about caches to visit.

Here's a link to a web site with Morse Code recording you might be interested in. I'm not trying to scare prior to your cruise. http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/

Thanks for the link. That call sign sounds very familiar to me. I think N1EA is somewhere in one of my logs, but it would take some searching to find it. I used to listen a lot to NMN/NAM/NAR weather forecasts--excellent code practice. I still miss hearing those NUKOs after 11 years.

Every July, KPH, mentioned in the link, is the key station in an event called "Night of Nights." For several hours on that night, Morse is used in 2 way comms with ships. There are still a few "Sparkies" afloat, though now called TCOs or some such acronym.

And I will check the geocaching site. Looking for caches should make our first Hawaiian landfall quite interesting.

Sorry this post will be SLIGHTLY astray but within the boundries of techie toys. I will be taking my 7230 Blackberry (t-mobile) with me on our upcoming cruise on Celebrity Summit, I will be getting international service for the device. IF I have the wireless turned on while on the ship (at sea) will I be charged that insane $4.95 a minute cell phone charge for any DATA that would come in on the device. I would ask T-Mobile but this question I believe might confuse those who have no knowledge of service while on a ship. Thanks in advance!!!

Wow!

I can't believe you guys pay that much for intl data!

I have Cingular- I know it isn't that much, and there are inclusive plans. I thought you were confusing satellite (which was $4.95 a minute on my last cruise) with wireless GSM data. We put data and international roaming on a plain old GSM cell phone when the BF went to Poland last year. He used it to do internet, sent text messages, and such. But he liked to use it to read news on web browser when he couldn't get the hotel datalink working with his linux laptop. We didn't pay anywhere near that much (I'd have to pull out the bills)

And BTW, I think it is RCCL- AT&T Wireless put cellular service on 3 ships. This was before their merger with Cingular and before they sold off most of their Caribbean properties. i have no idea how they did it (I would be interested in knowing- I would guess it HAS to be via satellite) or even which ships.

Back on the original topic- Yes we are geeks. We ALWAYS bring our GPS on cruises. Of course you are in a big iron tub, so may have to move around, or go on a top deck depending on where you are in the world or which way you are facing.

BTW, Funny story- Christmas 2004 we were on a cruise on Holland America's Westerdam. We had a deluxe verandah suite (yes, we really couldn't afford it, but it was such a great deal we couldn't pass it up!) which had a glass topped coffee table. As we were nearing Grand Cayman very, VERY early in the morning (probably still 50 miles out) after being far from land for a couple of days, we were woken by this horrible grinding racket. I thought we'd run aground or something. It was my Blackberry, set to vibrate, on that glass topped table, getting signal and catching up on several day's worth of emails! Got up early that morning! <G>

Karie- Yes I am a geek!

I am uniquely qualified to claim such title for myself. My premiere qualification is an Amateur Radio license. I don't mean a simple, practical VHF line of sight and repeater license. I mean a full fledged and privileged, Morse Code as a second language radio freak! I'm the kind of fellow who, when he's not riding ocean waves, surfs Continuous Waves.

Wow, Steve!

Have I got the web page for you!

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/wireless.html

Take a gander at the radio room from the Queen Mary as it was orignally configured, and later, and now

Make sure you click on the link for her last farewell out of New York City- her last time going down the Hudson- warning- even on broadband it loads r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w! Considering it is CW! (and that ain't no 5wpm!)

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/morse1.mp3

And don't forget to check out her last farewell- It brought tears to my eyes.

http://www.jacksjoint.com/queen.htm

a Morse sound effect playing under the background noise of the scene. The only person who could understand such an erroneous joke is your "full fledged and privleged, Morse Code as a second language radio freak,"

Nah- pick up a Nokia phone some day- go through the tones for SMS (text message)notification. Check out "Loud and Long" I <LOL>'d the first time I heard it! It starts out Dah-di-dah-dit (Oneof the easiest morse code letters IMHO to a ham- because of how many times you hear it!) When you translate it, try looking up some of Nokia's mottos, or whatever you call them! Some engineer had a sense of humor!

I have accumulated a full electronic suite case, not to be confused with a suitcase.

Got ya on that one. On our last cruise, Customs and security must've had a hissy! We brought along an extra suitcase full of electronics... including, of course,the GPS, satellite radio, and a printer! Yep- you head right. A printer! - okay, a photo printer- but were people really freaked when we gave them prints of themselves (Including the Captain- er Commodore) Yeah, we be geeks! And my sweetie? I call him my mega-geek!

Enjoy those pages. (At least I leave my aviation tranceiver home now. Along with the air charts- but do bring a map of the Carib, if not marine charts!<G>) Oh yeah= not to mention the three laptops, Blackberry, five or six cell phones, a GSM wireless modem card, several wireless LAN cards, and more gizmos- Well, plus the craft stuff for making our costumes for various functions- And yes, we DID bring along a soldering iron (I think) tools and a glue gun!

Karie

Geek and proud of it!

Archived