Formal Nights?

inai

Just booked a 7 day Canada/New England leaving this Sunday 9/14 :eek: !Haven't travelled on NCL for over a year. Do they still have formal nights? And what should my husband and I pack? Dark suit, sport jacket, gown, cocktail dress???? We enjoy dressing up for dinner, but don't want to look out of place. Please help. Thank you.

Just booked a 7 day Canada/New England leaving this Sunday 9/14 :eek: !Haven't travelled on NCL for over a year. Do they still have formal nights? And what should my husband and I pack? Dark suit, sport jacket, gown, cocktail dress???? We enjoy dressing up for dinner, but don't want to look out of place. Please help. Thank you.

Off the Spirit on August 31st, I noticed that some people dress like they could care less, while others will get dressed up for a formal night just like on any other cruise line. There are formal nights, I was on the 8 day Eastern Caribbean and there were 2 "formal" nights, and I believe that a 7 day will have 2 as well. It will say on the Freestyle Daily whether it's an optional formal night or not. You won't look out of place no matter what you wear. You don't even have to dress up at all if you don't want to. Like I said, some people dress like they don't care, while others will wear a fancy dress. Either way, you will fit in just fine. I hope you have an awesome time!

Thank you very much for your quick reply. From what you have said, I think that my husband will bring his dark suit(s) and sport jackets and I will bring at least one gown and a cocktail dress. I hope this will work.

if you want to and you have the room in your luggage...go and enjoy. for many of us, formal night dress code is resort casual...the same as the other nights. there will be pictures being taken and other will be dressed up...more in after 5, then formal. but a few will be in formal attire.

shorts are not suppose to be allowed...

we had a case of an older man who ONLY packed shorts and gave the crew fits because he DEMANDED entry into the dining rooms. he was not a nice guy...

i wear black slacks and a nice blouse (the photo in my avatar was the last formal night) i sat next to people in after 5, didn't bother me and didn't seem to bother them. in the dining room, at the same time, you will see formal gown and tux, after 5 and suits, kahkis and polo shirts with summer dress (or pant suits or ?) to dress jeans. after all, NCL quit calling it "formal nights" a couple of years ago...its "dress up if you want to" night.

All formal nights on all NCL ships are optional. In fact they are not called formal nights, but "Dress as you Want" nights. About 50% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from a few tuxes down to shirt/tie. The other 50% will be in resort casual. (polo shirts, Kahkis and tennis shoes or sandals.) There will even be jeans since jeans are allowed in all dining venues on all nights with the exception of one of the two main restaurants which will be the "no jeans" restaurant.

But regardless of all that.... the choice of how you dress is up to you on NCL. If you want to dress up... then go for it and you won't be out of place. If you want to simply dress resort casual and not take the fancy clothes, then go for it and you won't be out of place. Whichever way that YOU choose, just remember to ENJOY yourself!

We leave in a week and we're one of the ones that loves to dress up. My DH is taking his tux and I have a couple of fancy dresses. Well actually I have a lot of fancy dresses! LOL It's all a matter of what you want to do, not what you have to do. That's the beauty of NCL. Enjoy your cruise.

Kristy

But exactly WHAT nights are "formal"? Meaning, the first, second etc? And isn't there a specific restaurant allocated for people dressed up? That is what I heard. We want to reserve restaurants based around this, you see. I am also planning my dresses!!!;)

Usually, the first sea day is a formal (optional) night. No, they do not designate any particular dining room as formal only. In general, however, those who dine in the specialty restaurants tend to be better dressed than the main dining rooms.

one, of the main dining rooms, will have a sign: no jeans. otherwise, the dress codes are the same for each dining room. in any of the dining venues, you will see very dressed up to semi-dressed up to resort casual.

"dress up as you want" nights are (usually) the 1st sea day (normally that's the 1st actual sailing day) and the last sea day. but it depends on the route for your ship..they have been know to more those nights around to fit the route.

the main thing is that it's those nights that you see the "lobster" on the menu and the photo set-ups in the main lobby.

the photo in my avatar is last "formal" night i went to..black slacks and a blouse..that's as formal as i get:D, DH did wear a nicer golf/polo shirt (thank goodness)

Usually, the first sea day is a formal (optional) night. No, they do not designate any particular dining room as formal only. In general, however, those who dine in the specialty restaurants tend to be better dressed than the main dining rooms.

When do you find out exactly? How do they tell people?? Thanks.:o

When do you find out exactly? How do they tell people?? Thanks.:o

you ask at the reservations desk or read the daily every night....or just plan on dressing up every night:D

no where is it going to saw "formal night", since NCL doesn't do that...the night lobster is on the menu..dress up!

one, of the main dining rooms, will have a sign: no jeans. otherwise, the dress codes are the same for each dining room. in any of the dining venues, you will see very dressed up to semi-dressed up to resort casual.

"dress up as you want" nights are (usually) the 1st sea day (normally that's the 1st actual sailing day) and the last sea day. but it depends on the route for your ship..they have been know to more those nights around to fit the route.

the main thing is that it's those nights that you see the "lobster" on the menu and the photo set-ups in the main lobby.

the photo in my avatar is last "formal" night i went to..black slacks and a blouse..that's as formal as i get:D, DH did wear a nicer golf/polo shirt (thank goodness)

I think what you wore is ok. I have a beef with those that want to insist on shorts/tank tops etc. You look like you at least made an effort in that picture. That is all I ask of people.:)

i made more of an effort 20 years ago, now i relax and enjoy.

every cruise there is one:

last dec, i 1st saw this guy at the reservations desk, with his wife. he as over 60...and rude!! every time his wife tried to make a reservations where SHE wanted to, the problem came up..this guy ONLY packed his cargo shorts. every night we saw him, cargo shorts (ugly ones), his fishing shirt and his pocketed vest. he had the seating hostess in a fit!!!

i know they let him in the main dining rooms, didn't want to but he created such a hissy fit. i did hear the reservations desk refuse to make reservations for the specialities, saying that a dress code would be enforced. his wife was MAD, i hope at him.

but..every cruise there is one!

i made more of an effort 20 years ago, now i relax and enjoy.

every cruise there is one:

last dec, i 1st saw this guy at the reservations desk, with his wife. he as over 60...and rude!! every time his wife tried to make a reservations where SHE wanted to, the problem came up..this guy ONLY packed his cargo shorts. every night we saw him, cargo shorts (ugly ones), his fishing shirt and his pocketed vest. he had the seating hostess in a fit!!!

i know they let him in the main dining rooms, didn't want to but he created such a hissy fit. i did hear the reservations desk refuse to make reservations for the specialities, saying that a dress code would be enforced. his wife was MAD, i hope at him.

but..every cruise there is one!

Thank God I got a good one!!;) Whay do women put up with guys like that?:confused: The thing is, I pack for my hubby anyway and he wears whatever I pick but even if I didn't, he would still pack nice clothes for dinner- NOT shorts! And a fishing shirt? I didn't think we could throw a rod off the side of the ship!:D I say we make him walk the plank..:p

when i saw him...all red in the face, yelling at the girl at the reservations desk...i was READY to toss him over-board! she tried to be nice, but he was just plain rude. i did interrupt them to ask her a question and give her time calm down. while she was answering me, he walked away. (i didn't really have a question)

my DH lives in shorts...only wearing long pants when he has to. some nights he changes back to shorts, after dinner. poor guy gets over-heated easily.

the cruise before that, a women showed up..on lobster night...in the main dining room in a old warm-up suit. but they seated her over on the far side, out of the way from the dressier people.

when i saw him...all red in the face, yelling at the girl at the reservations desk...i was READY to toss him over-board! she tried to be nice, but he was just plain rude. i did interrupt them to ask her a question and give her time calm down. while she was answering me, he walked away. (i didn't really have a question)

my DH lives in shorts...only wearing long pants when he has to. some nights he changes back to shorts, after dinner. poor guy gets over-heated easily.

the cruise before that, a women showed up..on lobster night...in the main dining room in a old warm-up suit. but they seated her over on the far side, out of the way from the dressier people.

I would have said (and I am serious) ma'am, I'm sorry- the fitness center is on the next floor...:D and that guy? I have worked around people for so long and endured it all. I could never treat a hostess like that. I had a lady grab me when I worked on a ship briefly (10 days). She was acting psycho and eventually I had enough so then I said something and she leaned forward, screaming "what is your name" and ripped at my nametag with her claws, ripping me and my shirt towards her. I am actually getting an office job next as I cannot work with the public anymore. I am so social, outgoing, love to make guests happy and so friendly to all but I have had enough.:( Anyway, can't wait to cruise- yay!!!!:p

Archived