Disney Wonder - Hand sanitary wipes GALORE!

Hybrid93Hatch

We just returned from the 4 night Disney Wonder voyage. We all had a great time. This was my first cruise and my brother's family 8th. They were shocked with the amount and availability of hand sanitary wipes. The wipes were given to everyone as you entered the dining area to eat.

The last time my brother sailed Disney there were no wipes and you even had to purchase a soda card if you wanted other beverages besides juice and water.

Are the wipes standard on all DCL ships? How long have the wipes been available?

BTW > We were very pleased with the cruise, land visits, staff, and over all service! I will be going back to Disney in the future!!

Can you refresh my memory. Are the soft drinks free in the dining room as well? I know that one of the decks (9 maybe) has machines you can use at anytime. I know this answer, but it is buried in my mind somewhere. :confused:

I have heard about the wipes too. Not sure how long they have been there though. Good idea, but I heard you get tired of it after a bit. LOL!

Are you going to do a trip report, with pictures???? I hope so. I love trip reports!

Hand wipes are on both ships. Gosh I think its been around 3 years they have been doing this, or close to it. They are just trying to help prevent all the germs that get spread so easily when you have so many people that close together.

One day we saw the kids club going outside and all the kids of course were holding the hand rails on the stairs. I thought it looked kind of cute because the first counselor was wiping the railing as she went down and the last counselor was also wiping down the railing behind all the kids which we touching their faces and mouths along the way too.

So they are serious on tyring to help prevent illness on the cruise.

Sodas are free on deck 9, drink station and in all dining rooms and the buffet. But if you order it from a waiter or bar anywhere on the ship you will be charged for it , plus a gratuity.

mom x4,grandma x4

Can you refresh my memory. Are the soft drinks free in the dining room as well? I know that one of the decks (9 maybe) has machines you can use at anytime. I know this answer, but it is buried in my mind somewhere. :confused:

Yes, all drinks from the dining and deck #9 were free.

Are you going to do a trip report, with pictures???? I hope so. I love trip reports!

I did snap over 1,800 pictures from beginning to end. I definitely plan to post many. I am not to familiar with the C.C. forums, so I will look around and see the best place to post them.

I did snap over 1,800 pictures from beginning to end. I definitely plan to post many. I am not to familiar with the C.C. forums, so I will look around and see the best place to post them.

You can upload them to photobucket (which is free) and then copy the IMG link and paste here.

We travelled on HAL before and they have dispensers of sanitizer gel everywhere, especially at restaurant entrances.

I also take a little bottle with me everywhere and keep washing my hands with it when cruising. The Nova type illnesses can spread so easily and quickly on a cruise ship, where everyone is in such a confined space. xx

DCL started the sani wipes in 2006. In 2005 they placed them at the entrance, but in 2006, started handing them out. It was because the GI outbreaks started increasing on the ship and they thought of this as a way to decrease them. The soda became INCLUDED in 2005 I want to say. I know in 2004 there was the soda package you purchased and either late 2005 or early 2006 they placed the drink station. DCL said it was because they were getting too many complaints because sooo many people traveled with young kids that it was such a waste. The parents did not feel the kids dranked enough soda for the package and when purchased seperate, the kids would waste sooooo much. So this was DCLs way of dealing with that problem. (GREAT idea). Soda has ALWAYS been included with dinner without charge on DCL.;)

I was last on Disney in 2004 and I do not remember such a thing. On Celebrity(2007), Royal Caribbean(2008) and Norwegian(2008), they did have hand sanitizer dispensers all around the ship. Especially on NLC, they pushed you to use it, and even put it on your hands for you when getting off and back on the ship. This is to protect everyone from the norovirus I'm assuming?

DCL added the wipes after 2004. I was on DCL in 2002 and RCCL in 2005 and neither had wipes or sanitizers then--I'm glad they've added them.

Actually on RCCL I found several restrooms without paper towels at one point or another during the cruise, and I don't think I've ever seen so many people not washing their hands after using the bathroom in my life. I was pretty grossed out by it--it's no wonder so many people get sick.

Cruise Critic has a cruise photo section:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/

DCL added the wipes after 2004. I was on DCL in 2002 and RCCL in 2005 and neither had wipes or sanitizers then--I'm glad they've added them.

Actually on RCCL I found several restrooms without paper towels at one point or another during the cruise, and I don't think I've ever seen so many people not washing their hands after using the bathroom in my life. I was pretty grossed out by it--it's no wonder so many people get sick.

Try the techniques that they taught us working in a hospital. After you wash your hands, leave the water running, dry your hands then turn the water off with the paper towel. (think about it, people touch the faucets before they wash their hands). Use the same paper towel to pull the door open then drop it in the nearest wastecan. If the door is a push open, use your elbow away from the "push pad".

Never touch anything in a restroom with your hands after you wash them, especially the doors and faucets.

Try the techniques that they taught us working in a hospital. After you wash your hands, leave the water running, dry your hands then turn the water off with the paper towel. (think about it, people touch the faucets before they wash their hands). Use the same paper towel to pull the door open then drop it in the nearest wastecan. If the door is a push open, use your elbow away from the "push pad".

Never touch anything in a restroom with your hands after you wash them, especially the doors and faucets.

Well, it wouldn't have always worked on RCCL, because there weren't always paper towels...

I try to not touch doors and faucets after washing my hands. If there are no paper towels I'll use the back of my hand on the faucets and push the door open with an elbow. I'm pretty fastidious about it. I wish others were as well...

Cruise Critic has a cruise photo section:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/

Thank you. I have started a thread in the photo section for the pics.

Or drop it behind the door. If enough people drop the towels behind the door the facility will place a can back there :rolleyes: I do this as I do not like to hold on to the napkin any longer than I have to.

Well, it wouldn't have always worked on RCCL, because there weren't always paper towels...

I try to not touch doors and faucets after washing my hands. If there are no paper towels I'll use the back of my hand on the faucets and push the door open with an elbow. I'm pretty fastidious about it. I wish others were as well...

That is why I have got into the habit of grabbing a napkin from the car glove box to open the door to a restaurant. Once inside I grab a few napkins before entering the bathroom because the above has happened to me more than a few times :(

We just returned from the 4 night Disney Wonder voyage. We all had a great time. This was my first cruise and my brother's family 8th. They were shocked with the amount and availability of hand sanitary wipes. The wipes were given to everyone as you entered the dining area to eat.

The last time my brother sailed Disney there were no wipes and you even had to purchase a soda card if you wanted other beverages besides juice and water.

Are the wipes standard on all DCL ships? How long have the wipes been available?

BTW > We were very pleased with the cruise, land visits, staff, and over all service! I will be going back to Disney in the future!!

They were giving out wipes March of 2007 when we were on the Wonder last time. I remember a very bad virus going around on the ship before we were on the cruise. FloridaTink

Are you not allowed to post pictures in this section? Even with trip reports?

Sure you can. Members do it all of the time. Just be considerate and don't put dozens of photos in the same thread. Some people have slow connections and it takes a while to load them.

The cruise photo section is more organized.

I was on my first Princess cruise in April and the hand sanitizer was everywhere. There was no way you were entering the dining area without using it! That was my first exsp with it. Certainly a great idea with all the people inboard and the outbreaks of bacteria that cruiseships have had.

Take lots of hand lotion as your hands will be dry as a bone from the alcohol in the sanitizer

Archived