Aqua dive optx flexible mask magnifiers

Katiekakes

My husband and I will be taking a cruise around French Polynesia and plan to do a lot of snorkeling. We both wear glasses and were wondering if anyone has used the optx flexible magnifiers. I have read good reviews on divers using them for reading gauges, but wonder if they work for snorkelers just viewing fish, coral, etc.

My husband and I will be taking a cruise around French Polynesia and plan to do a lot of snorkeling. We both wear glasses and were wondering if anyone has used the optx flexible magnifiers. I have read good reviews on divers using them for reading gauges, but wonder if they work for snorkelers just viewing fish, coral, etc.

I take it you have not been snorkelling before. If I were going to Polynesia I would go ahead and get a mask that accepts prescription lenses. They are @ $25 u.s. for each lens.Or is this something you have already investigated?

I take it you have not been snorkelling before. If I were going to Polynesia I would go ahead and get a mask that accepts prescription lenses. They are @ $25 u.s. for each lens. Or is this something you have already investigated?

Can you be specific as to WHERE they are $25 a lens?

Hi,

I've used these before (getting old and have had to resort to reading glasses for close up work). They really aren't meant for general vision. They're about 1" in diameter and they apply to the bottom of your mask to create a small bi-focal effect (regular viewing straight, magnified looking down). You wouldn't want to look through them while snorkeling (you'd only have a small area of visiblity). Like the other poster pointed out, perscription lenses are the best solution if you're looking for a good option.

Randall

Can you be specific as to WHERE they are $25 a lens?

They come in diopter strenghts in .5 increments.I've purchased by mail and from local shops even one down from Pro bass in Orlando.You will not get an exact... but you do not need one due to the mag. of the water.Used them in over 2000 dives.Long as your vision does not change much they will outlast several masks.

DH uses the stick on thin plastic lenses (don't know the brand) inside his dive mask available at Walmart. On dry land he wears 1.75 reading glasses, no distance correction. The lenses give him the ability to read his guages and camera settings. Other than that he would not use them. I wouldn't think they would be needed for snorkeling only.

If you have a great deal of distance correction in your glasses try either contacts or the prescription lenses.

http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

Archived