Are we wrong to feel this way? Opinions, please.

CruiserVette

I was on the three day Ecstasy Cruise to no where. We booked for the 5 day cruise last September immediately after we returned from our first cruise on the Ecstasy. Right now, I feel that we were all extremely lucky as I watch the progress of Ike and wonder what will remain of Galveston after tomorrow. Kind of puts it all in perspective, at least for me.

Right now, I'm not sure I will book in the middle of Hurricane season again. If I were on the ship today, I don't know what or where I would be returning to. And that would pretty much spoil the whole thing wondering.

We did have a good time ....didn't we. That was our first "cruise to nowhere" and nowhere was FUN!!!

Yes, people are dying. Every day. Everywhere. Yes, the hurricane that caused this poor poster's troubles also killed people. What on earth does that have to do with a fair assessment of how Carnival handled the situation? You're dragging a completely unrelated issue into a thread that doesn't need it. Donate to those victims, if you're upset about it. But don't try to make them the focus of every frickin' hurricane-related question that shows here. Reading that sort of post is a WASTE of everyone's time, as it helps no one, and adds nothing to the discussion.

/end rant

;)

Totally agree here!

While understandable, your complaints about human nature have no place in a discussion of Carnival's ethics of pricing and handling of situations. If people come here looking for info, and instead are told they are a less-than-stellar human being because of their (very simple) questions, then who is being helped? No one. Not one person feels better, or knows more because of your judgment of their character. The whole point of CC is to help others, and those type of posts do nothing other than (perhaps) make YOU feel like you've "morally educated" us somehow. It's not true, it's not necessary, and it certainly isn't your place to say.

No one here is saying that we should trample victims of a storm in our hurry to fix our precious vacations. Therefore, no one here deserves the criticism you just described. What people are trying to discuss is whether Carnival's policies re: price adjustment for a hurricane-shortened cruise are fair. The problems of the people in the T&Cs, the Sudan, China, or Timbuktu have nothing to do with it.

Very Well Said! Thank You....

I am sorry that you had to wait so long and pretty much waisted your first day. I would have probably been disappointed as well. Now, look at the bright side. We are blessed that we can take vacations when there a lots of people that are struggling to make it on today's economy. I feel that CCL gave you guys a pretty good deal. Maybe a couple of bar coupons could have filled the gap and made you feel better.

You are entitled to feel however you want and to complaint to CCL if you want to. I suggest sending them a letter.

Some of the folks in here will defend CCL blindly and will jump on you if you dare to mention anything negative about Carnival. Don't pay attention to them, their lives revolve around this board and nothing else.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Keep in mind...that your very first question/topic of post was, "are we wrong to feel this way?" In effect, then aren't you asking for some type of moral compass...some general consensus from others?!?! You didn't say, "Only respond if you agree with us!"

Aside from that...my 2 cents is YES...not only do you gamble during hurrican season...but so do the cruise lines as well. So, there should be some give and take from both directions...as a previous poster noted.

Exactly what and how much that entails...I don't think there's a direct formula...however, inside of Carnival...that's probably exactly how it works...they probably have a formula they use...based on original cruise duration, ports of call missed, number of passengers impacted, etc. etc.

I do feel for you guys though...I know how it is...you plan it, you book it, you anticipate it, you look sooooo forward to the trip...and then something completely outside of your control goes wrong. I would hate that too!!! And I think the best thing in the end...is some give and take from both sides.

I understand how you feel and think it is perfectly reasonable to write Carnival expecting a little more compensation. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you some OBC or drink coupons. I'm happy to hear that you that you had a great time and didn't make a fool of yourselves by finding some third rate lawyer and starting a protest in the atrium.;) I too book during hurricane season and expect to have to roll with the punches. Keep us posted.

Hope to see you at sea sometimes and good luck.

I've only been reading this forum for a short time and I think it's a great source for information, but I've noticed that criticism or dissatisfaction of Carnival is generally met with a lot of skepticism, if not downright hostility. Honestly, I think you may get a better reception writing to Carnival than here! :o

*LOL* That is probably true!

I've been on a haywire Carnival cruise. Ship hit an iceberg on the previous cruise but loaded passengers without notifying us of the damage. We then proceeded to limp out to sea, ultimately skipping one port and our glacier sailing. In fact, we limped along the entire 7 days. Carnival was kind enough to return the missed port charge, but not a penny more. Calls and letters made no difference.

My only recourse is to share my story and divert potential passengers to another cruise line if possible, especially in Alaska. It just isn't a good itinerary if glaciers are a priority. I have cruised Carnival since then for short Caribbean jaunts, and am contemplating another (that's why I'm even on the Carnival board) but only for cheap cruises where the itinerary isn't important. So far I've personally kept about 12 people from cruising Carnival, not even a drop in the bucket, but it does give me some satisfaction.

Had Carnival offered us 25% return and 25% discount on a cruise which did include glaciers in the Alaska sailing, you can bet I'd be singing their praises instead of still feeling a bit sick when I think about it.

I am not meaning to sound flippant, I really mean it when I say you are very lucky to have that compensation. Enjoy your discounted cruise!!:)

I just found out my All inclusive vacation in Turks and Cacois has been dramatcally changed due to Ike. I could whine and cry but my first statement to the people at Sandals/Beaches was " I hope all of your family/friends/employees in T&C are doing fine." We then proceeded to work out alternative options. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to visit T&C but dang, my problems aren't anything compared to the people of T&C.

I think that is basically what the OP is trying to do...."WORK OUT" an alternative option. It appears that the OP is still working on it.

While I'm sorry the OP didn't get to board until almost 9:30pm, an important piece of information is missing here....what time did the ship return to port? If it didn't get there until 6 or 7 pm, then I think the 9:30 boarding time is very reasonable. :) No one was holding you hostage in the terminal, I'm sure you could have gone and explored the area while you waited:) I personally wouldn't have been able to sit on those hard seats for 9 hours or more:eek: I hope your next cruise is much more enjoyable;)

Vette,

You got 25% off a 5 day for a 4 day,[5% in your favor] AND 25% off a future cruise [another 25% in your favor]. That you accepted. That case is closed.

Now you want more compensation for a 9 hour wait. Understandable, but worth how much? Since it is not and should not be part of the first [DONE] deal.

Have you offered an amount? Like 5% more or 10% more. Or like $100. OBC on your next cruise? Maybe if they had an idea of your ball park they might give a little. The louder and longer you bother them [in a nice way] the better chance of getting something. But keep in mind, its only the 9 hours that are in question.

Dan

No, I don't think you got enough.

Everyone knows it's all Carnival's darned fault. They said 6:00PM and dammit, they should keep to the schedule. They did it all on purpose, I heard. They kept the returning ship at sea for a few more hours just so they could get more money from the passengers onboard--and putted along extra slow to save money on their fuel. Oh, and, they wanted all those waiting to board to be really, really angry and frustrated. They just LOVE that......so, those sneaky little devils planned the whole thing. It's a conspiracy.

You know darned well that if you were waiting 9 hours for a delayed flight, they'd refund half your money, give you tickets for free meals, a huge discount off your next trip and spend the entire flight worrying about how mad you are.

Absolutely, write your letter.....give'em heck!!!!! 1930.gif

You got your rant, now here's mine..

I sick and tired of listening to people whine and cry over a few uncomforatble hours waiting or 25% discount wasn't enough or XXX passenger paid $5 less than me or my vaction was ruined because it rained or whatever else somebody can cry about. Time is so short in this world, for the life of me I cannot understand the me me me attitude of so many people.

We are blessed that we can afford and have the opportunity to take such luxurious vacations.

I just found out my All inclusive vacation in Turks and Cacois has been dramatcally changed due to Ike. I could whine and cry but my first statement to the people at Sandals/Beaches was " I hope all of your family/friends/employees in T&C are doing fine." We then proceeded to work out alternative options. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to visit T&C but dang, my problems aren't anything compared to the people of T&C.

I'd like to see people be just a little bit more reasonable, remember that we are very blessed to have the small problems that we have and just roll with the punches that occasionally come our way.

Very well said, but has nothing to do with sitting at the port all day.

To actually answer the OPs question... yes I probably would feel the same way.. I would write a letter to guest relations (call and get a name of someone)..

write the letter.. let it roll and whatever happens happens.. You will at the very least feel better..

I think you are probably more upset that your drive was 7hrs and then you sat another 9.. I understand the frustration..

But your comp was good.. not great but good..

Enjoy

I think the OP should be applauded. How many time do we see "we got shafted by Carnival and I'll never cruise with them again" attitude. When weather occurs, EVERYONE is affected. We got a 7 day turned into a 9 day cruise on 2004 on Caribbean Princess. We loved it because we were on a longer vacation after the cruise. Most pax on our ship were pissed because it disrupted their travel plans. The next group getting on the ship were really pissed. They got a 5 day cruise and had to wait for the Port of Miami to open for 2 days. You had to see their faces boarding. We were sad for them. Princess gets screwed because of the lost revenue. One of our waiter's in the disco was so upset because he gets to talk to his wife and son once a week and that went down the tubes. The OP didn't go off ranting. I truly believe you HAVE to take serious consideration when booking this time of year. The cruise line puts that disclaimer in there for a reason. It's a risk. I honestly think if you book during hurricane season you HAVE to live with the consequences. Compensation is totally a subjective viewpoint. Everyone will have an opinion on what is too little or too much which is fine. I say just be prepared and live with it. Almost everyone will be unsatisfied.........

As one who books cruises every year in October and/or November (the only time of year our group can get together), I've experienced late arriving ships and missed ports. I knew the possibilities when I made my reservations and have no problem with them. I've been compensated $25, in the form a cabin credit, for a missed port, which was more than I expected. I've been stuck in airports for hours and days (no fault of the cruiseline) just weather and circumstance. The cruise line is perfectly within their rights not to offer any compensation and I have no problem with that either (just read the contract). I make sure I have travel insurance and trip delay insurance. As long as the cruiseline makes every effort to keep me safe I'm fine. I think the original poster was compensated and that is enough.

I will never understand why cruisers (some not all) have such an incredible sense of entitlement and tend to whine about every little thing. I stop in to these boards every now and then just to see if there's any new, useful information, usually there's not. It's just the same old things being rehashed over and over again. When I'm on vacation (whether land or sea) I prefer to roll with the punches and try not to let anything ruin my time. Once the trip is over, it's over and I don't stress myself about it.

So you are saying that if you show up at the terminal for your cruise, (any port) and then they made you sit in the terminal for 9 hours (not onboard) before boarding you would say that's cool, No issue at all,

1. I don't smoke.

2. Never cruise the Carribbean from June 1st - December 31st, so in this case I wouldn't be waiting 9 hours in a hot terminal.

3. During Carribbean hurricane season I cruise the Pacific down to Mexico Sept - Nov.

4. See number 1.

Fred

Why do I keep seeing this mentality all over the CC Carnival board? What on earth do those "poor people" have to do with business ethics and cruise pricing?

EVERY DAY that we cruise, lives are in turmoil and ending, all around the globe. There is not a poster on this board that does not understand how lucky they are to be worried about a cruise, and not about death and destruction. When you guys post things like, "Well, you should feel lucky you XXXXX, because there are people out there who are DYING!", you're not making any point at all.

Yes, people are dying. Every day. Everywhere. Yes, the hurricane that caused this poor poster's troubles also killed people. What on earth does that have to do with a fair assessment of how Carnival handled the situation? You're dragging a completely unrelated issue into a thread that doesn't need it. Donate to those victims, if you're upset about it. But don't try to make them the focus of every frickin' hurricane-related question that shows here. Reading that sort of post is a WASTE of everyone's time, as it helps no one, and adds nothing to the discussion.

/end rant

;)

Very well said! Thank you :)

Archived