China domestic airlines

RetiredFL

We are flying from Beijing to Xian and back as part of our pre-cruise package.

We would like to leave our main baggage at the hotel and just take a carry-on.

Does anyone know what the policies are for such flights as to liquids? Are they the same as US domestic and general interational (1 qt plastic bag and liquids less than 3 oz).

If we have to check bags what is anyones experience as to lost baggage?

Thanks.

Beginning this past March, China began to follow most other countries in banning liquids aboard their domestic flights. Their restrictions are very much the same now as the rest of the world.

We have flown a number of domestic Chinese air routes and have never had a baggage problem, so I can't answer your other concern.

We flew with 5 different airlines internally in China just before the Olympics began and security was very tight but variable in them all. Yes they certainly restrict liquid in hand luggage but at one airport they even confiscated bottles from luggage which was to be checked in. However all were efficient and nothing was lost. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

What type of liquids were taken from checked luggage.

Was it things like mouthwash or things like wine.

We are going to try and leave our main luggage at the Beijing hotel and just take a carry on for the one night we will be in Xian.

It was Whisky! This airport (I think it was Kashgar) scanned every bag at the door to the airport before we even began to check in. However this was unusual. They all checked our hand baggage very thoroughly and checked us with a "pat down" of the most thorough kind and I even had to account for one jelly sweet in my pocket. However I suspect they were far more thorough than usual as this was only days before the Olympics began. If you are careful to keep liquids and gels etc in tiny containers separate from your hand luggage as in all other countries I am sure you will have no problems. Have a great trip.

It was Whisky! This airport (I think it was Kashgar) scanned every bag at the door to the airport before we even began to check in. However this was unusual. They all checked our hand baggage very thoroughly and checked us with a "pat down" of the most thorough kind and I even had to account for one jelly sweet in my pocket. However I suspect they were far more thorough than usual as this was only days before the Olympics began. If you are careful to keep liquids and gels etc in tiny containers separate from your hand luggage as in all other countries I am sure you will have no problems. Have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got home Thursday from a 20 day trip. We flew to/from Xian (as well as many others). They were all very strict - absolutely no liquids/gels of any kind in hand luggage (toothpaste, shampoo, anything, no matter how small would be thrown away). Some airports even had signs saying no liquids in your CHECKED luggage, which blew us away - how are you supposed to travel like that? We never had anything taken away from our checked luggage (I did have to go behind screening and pull out my curling iron to show them what that was), however, during a search of checked luggage, my parents had a tube or cream taken away from them. Good luck.

Tammy

Interesting.

Luckily we can leave our main baggage at the hotel we will be returning to so our main "supply" of liquids such as mouthwash, shampoo, etc will stay there.

However we are flying to Xian on Hainan airlines and their web site says:

"1) Passengers are required to carry liquids (including fluids, gels and aerosols, similarly hereinafter) in containers with a capacity of not more than 100ml each. No containers with a capacity of more than 100 ml are allowed to be consigned and carried-on even though they are only partially filled;

2) It is required that containers are placed and fit comfortably in a transparent re-sealing bag with a maximum capacity not exceeding 1 liter, which are completely closed. Each passenger is allowed to carry only one transparent plastic bag and any bag (s) in excess thereof should be committed to consignment;

3) Plastic bags holding liquids are to be presented separately for examination at the security screening point."

Guess we will try sample bottles of such things as shaving cream, shampoo, etc and see what happens. If they confiscate them we will just have to be "grubby" and unshaven in Xian!

I presume the western style hotel we are staying will supply soap, shampoo, etc. The only problem we will have is with shaving cream and perhaps we can buy it at the hotel shop.

Traveling is always an adventure

Just trying to be helpfull. I would definately leave any expensive perfumes, etc. back with your main luggage. I will say this, every hotel we stayed in had extensive personal supplies out for us in the bathrooms, including shaving kits with small tubes of shaving cream. We had a great time and I'm sure you will too. Our national guide said that the airports were being very strict as we were also travelling around during the national holliday. People in our group even had a small flying saucer toy (reverse magnetics) confiscated and were told that the magnetics would mess with the plane, come to think of it, they were the same ones who had toothpaste taken out of the hand baggage at another airport. Enjoy your trip - our mantra was just go with the flow.

Tammy

Archived