changing cabin

stringo

My partner and I booked our cruise on the Millenium for Jan 09 eighteen months ago. We were allocated our cabin - inside 2180. Our cruise club TA contacted us two days ago to say that Celebrity would like us to change cabin - to another cabin of the same category and offered us £200 refund. We accepted this offer but when I later asked my TA if she could now tell me our new cabin number she stated that we would probably not find out until our tickets arrived! I found this a bit strange and I wondered if anybody else had found themselves in a similar situation. My booking on Celebrity website now shows booking as Z - inside stateroom - 12,guarantee. Deck not available. Not sure what this means!:confused:

It looks like you have a guarantee cabin assignment,which means that you will have the best available cabin available, it could mean an upgrade to an outside, however you should check what the price is for that category of cabin to see if the £200 offered was reasonable.

Personally I would have asked for a balcony guarantee with no refund.

My partner and I booked our cruise on the Millenium for Jan 09 eighteen months ago. We were allocated our cabin - inside 2180. Our cruise club TA contacted us two days ago to say that Celebrity would like us to change cabin - to another cabin of the same category and offered us £200 refund. We accepted this offer but when I later asked my TA if she could now tell me our new cabin number she stated that we would probably not find out until our tickets arrived! I found this a bit strange and I wondered if anybody else had found themselves in a similar situation. My booking on Celebrity website now shows booking as Z - inside stateroom - 12,guarantee. Deck not available. Not sure what this means!:confused:

Looks like you were asked to move because your original cabin may have been one where a group booking all wanted to be together??? or another reason altogether ????

If your first cabin choice was a numbered cabin you picked yourself off the ship's plan then they had to give you a refund because a "guarantee" cabin means it would have been cheaper than an actual chosen numbered cabin when you contracted to sail .

Now you can be placed anywhere on the ship at the grade of cabin /any deck once they see what cabins are left after all the clients (who book with a cabin number ) have been allocated .

I think you have now contracted to be in a "guaranteed" inside (or could be upgraded if they see fit) on whatever deck they give you.That was the refund they gave you .....for giving up your numbered cabin .... you now no longer have an actual numbered cabin .Could work out in that you might be allocated to a higher deck ????

They should tell you on your docs. eventually or ask your T/Agent to persist in asking X where you are likely to be placed.

You got a great deal! Let's face it, an inside is an inside--now you have the possibility of getting upgraded and got a refund for the privilege!! Worst case scenario is you will end up in the same cabin category you started in but are paying way less for it. I have a hard time understanding why people would pay hundreds of dollars more just to know exactly what cabin they are going to be in ahead of time--I have saved $600/pp booking a balcony guarantee--as long as I am in a balcony and saving all this money I don't really care if I don't know my exact location until I get on the ship!

Good luck!

Cathy

It looks like you have a guarantee cabin assignment,which means that you will have the best available cabin available, it could mean an upgrade to an outside, however you should check what the price is for that category of cabin to see if the £200 offered was reasonable.

Personally I would have asked for a balcony guarantee with no refund.

I agree it sounds like you have a guarantee for an inside and that the deck your cabin is on is likely going to change. Unless there is a deck you would really not want to be on, it sounds like a win with the offer to reduce your costs.

It is probably unlikely there will be a jump from an inside to a balcony with this guarantee. Higher decks would be most likely the upgrade for the inside guarantee, not a certainty. Actual upgrades from cabin class to cabin class, that this guarantee does not provide for are changes from inside cabins to ocean view cabins, with the next upgrade range from an ocean view to a balcony cabin.

I think you are already off to a good start. Have a great time! :)

Archived