RCI Mariner/7-day Western Caribbean w/ a 1yr old questions

ladycop79

A couple of questions!

I am interested in excursion options for Ochos Rios, Georgetown, and Cozumel with a 1 year old. We are going to bring an umbrella stroller but we also have a carrier so that we can go places that strollers cannot. We (as a baby-less couple) lean towards the exercise/activity oriented excursions but don't know how much we need to stay away from those with the baby...

Also, we REALLY dont want to bring the car seat on the ship. Is it possible to do excursions without a car seat? Or is a neccessity? (I am a police officer and am very aware of the need for car seat safety BUT am just worried that a convertible car seat will be a PITA to bring along!)

Thanks!:)

Heather

Traveling 10/19/08

You know, when we grew up, there were no such thing as "car seats"--at least, for babies as a safety feature--and guess what? We are still here and alive and fine!

I know that everyone thinks if they don't have a baby seat, they MUST be horrendous parents...but that's not the case. The ODDS (yes, it's a gamble) of something bad happening on vacation are small...so think about it and weigh the pros and cons of lugging it with you!

You know, when we grew up, there were no such thing as "car seats"--at least, for babies as a safety feature--and guess what? We are still here and alive and fine!

I know that everyone thinks if they don't have a baby seat, they MUST be horrendous parents...but that's not the case. The ODDS (yes, it's a gamble) of something bad happening on vacation are small...so think about it and weigh the pros and cons of lugging it with you!

;) LOL...I know what you mean. I am a certified car seat technician at work, practice extended rear facing and all that car safety jazz. But we are driving to the boat, don't intend on riding in any cabs and the only transportation that we will be potentially riding in is buses. We don't use a car seat on public bus transportation (it is actually statistically just as safe to do that...) so I am not really seeing the difference. But if we are going to miss good excursions, etc. because we don't have a safe way of getting there, I would rather take it. I am just worried about having it at beaches, not being able to lock it up, etc. But I also know all to well, sadly, that risking it for just a little while is not good either...I don't know what to do!:confused:

A couple of questions!

I am interested in excursion options for Ochos Rios, Georgetown, and Cozumel with a 1 year old. We are going to bring an umbrella stroller but we also have a carrier so that we can go places that strollers cannot.

We had a mei tei carrier that was wonderful when my son was that age. We traveled all over using it and it was much more convenient than a stroller. However, our macclaren has also gone all over the world and it makes a great cart for our car seat. Yes, we do lug the huge britax all over the world with us.

We (as a baby-less couple) lean towards the exercise/activity oriented excursions but don't know how much we need to stay away from those with the baby...

Well, let's see -- in Ocho Rios most those sans baby usually like to do Dunn's River Falls. IMHO, I would NOT recommend that -- it is a long day and too dangerous for a one year old. Frankly, Jamaica is kind of an overwhelming place -- and while my DH and I have been all over the world -- including Columbia and the middle East, I skipped Jamaica all together with my child in tow. YMWV.

In Grand Caymen the biggest attraction is Sting Ray City. We did this before we had our son -- and it was great. We used Captain Marvin's, which is located very close to the pier. It is a boat ride out in open water -- where in the shallows you swim with the stingrays. They are friendly, velvety and it's a great time. Of course, a baby couldn't do this. However, perhaps you can see if you can take the baby on the boat (depending on her temperment) with appropriate life jacket and take turns with your DH actually swimming. Other than Sting Ray City -- there are plenty of shops and beaches in Georgetown. I think a lot of people also recommend the turtle farm -- something that would probably be a lot more enjoyable for a toddler.

In Cozumel the big draw is Tulum -- which is a beautiful Mayan ruin next to the sea. It is really something to see -- but it is also very hot depending on the time of year. It also requires a bus trip - though not very long. We also did this before having a baby -- but again, depending on your child's temperment, it would be possible with a good sun hat, sun screen and water packed. On our last trip to Cozumel with our son, we did a beach day with several members of our family doing the dolphin swim at Chankaanab Marine Park. If either of you want to do the dolphin swim Chankaanab park is a great option. Be sure to book in advance through the park itself -- not the ship-- because it give you more time with the dolphins in a smaller group. Members in our group did the royal swim -- and video (you can haggle the price) and pictures are awesome! There are beach ammenities as well as a pool available -- and there is a bar and food, too. We were able to secure a VAN CAB to transport our entire party (13) together -- and if you have reservations at Chankanaub they will pay for your taxi ride there. For those not doing the dolphin swim it was around $12 per person admission -- I think the babies were free. When you are ready to leave, they will call another cab for you -- there were actually several options waiting there -- so there was no wait. We all had a very nice day. However, all that being said, if neither of you want to do the dolphin swim, I would probably choose a different option. Paradise beach is a nice alternative.

Finally, and in all honesty, I have found that in general beach days are really the most enjoyable with a baby/toddler. Even though my DH and I did much different things before baby -- it just isn't fun to drag a tired, hot and irritable toddler/baby on tours that really don't interest him. This isn't to say we haven't taken him on some -- but we are careful to try to avoid an entire bus load of other tourists possibly having to listen to my son wail on an hour busride. LOL. :rolleyes: We have been pretty lucky -- with reasonable expectations. You know your child better than anyone and what he/she can handle. :p

Also, we REALLY dont want to bring the car seat on the ship. Is it possible to do excursions without a car seat? Or is a neccessity? (I am a police officer and am very aware of the need for car seat safety BUT am just worried that a convertible car seat will be a PITA to bring along!)

There is no doubt that the car seat is a PIA. However, we have always brought our car seat on cruises, flights, -- all over the world. It really isn't difficult -- we use a bag to cover the seat. We have a big and heavy britax, too. A costco scena or a sunshine radian (considerably lighter with great safety ratings) would be even easier.

We have found the great majority of cabs/vans do have safety belts. We did have some trouble in Costa Rica -- but we just waited for a newer cab and lucked out. If we were unable to find a cab/van -- we would make an exception -- same with buses since they never have safety belts -- but if available we use the seat. On the beach, we just rent an extra beach chair in leave it in the chair! We have even put sunglasses and a hat on it. LOL.

It is possible to do excursions without a car seat -- especially if you plan to only be in buses. We never use a car seat in a bus.

Do what makes you comfortable.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! :D

Archived