Where to stay in NJ?

magic&buddy

Hi All........Need some direction / suggestions. We will be taking a cruise out of Manhattan in April 2009. I have read on these boards that some people stay in NJ before cruising out of. Where should we be looking in New Jersey (sorry, not from around these parts :o ) - any suggestions on places to stay? Also, how long does it take to get from NJ to the Manhattan pier?

click the link below to go to my blog about NJ/NY area stuff...

should take about an hour or so to get in to the city......(maybe less, maybe more depending on traffic.)

Not sure of the cost...you should check a car service as opposed to a cab though as NJ cabbies can't pick up a fare in NYC (unless it is to EWR airport i think) and vice versa.....

i am sure some more locals will pop on here with ideas about that.

it really depends on what you want to do and where you are in NJ. Jersey City is closer to Manhattan than, say the Newark airport area so it will take less time....if you plan on spending any time in NYC, some of the hotels in Jersey CIty are near the PATH trains (www.panynj.com_) and you can zoom into town quickly!

good luck!

Where to stay in New Jersey? Nowhere....

We were there in June and had booked rooms in Jersey pre and post cruise. Most of the hotels in New Jersey that are close to the piers are in the middle of industrial areas that have little if anything to do. Cab or limo fares into the city and back run about $100 each way. So you actually end up breaking even on the money if you pay more for a room and stay in NYC and you have more activities.

We ended up switching our post cruise room to the Holiday Inn in NYC (on 54th or 55th I think)

Have a great time on your cruise........

Magic & Buddy

Could you provide more details about your plans? Then we can give better advice that is tailored to your needs.

How are you coming to NY - car, plane, train, other?

Is doing NYC an objective?

What pier are you leaving from in NY?

Where are you from? Are you considering public transportation or just cabs?

What are your budget considerations?

There are several hotels on NJ side that are close to NY Pier. You can take a ferry across the Hudson River. The ferry takes approx. 6 minutes to get across.

Sheration Suites in Weehawken

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1177

Homewood Suites by Hilton in Edgewater

http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en_US/hw/hotel/EWREWHW-Homewood-Suites-by-Hilton-Edgewater-NYC-Area-New-Jersey/index.do

I believe both hotels offer shuttle service to NY Waterway which will take you into NYC. It is a very short trip and will probably take about 30 minutes to get to Pier in NYC.

There are several hotels on NJ side that are close to NY Pier. You can take a ferry across the Hudson River. The ferry takes approx. 6 minutes to get across.

Sheration Suites in Weehawken

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1177

Homewood Suites by Hilton in Edgewater

http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en_US/hw/hotel/EWREWHW-Homewood-Suites-by-Hilton-Edgewater-NYC-Area-New-Jersey/index.do

I believe both hotels offer shuttle service to NY Waterway which will take you into NYC. It is a very short trip and will probably take about 30 minutes to get to Pier in NYC.

Hpw long wold it take to drive to the peir?

Archived