Island Star First Time Cruisers Much Needed Help

bgd

Has anybody been on the Star recently and can give any tips,advice to a complete novice when it comes to cruising for the first time.(Caribbean 09)

e.g. What type of plugs do we need

Are the shore trips value for money

Trips to avoid

Recommended restaurants on the ship

Where do the smokers gather

When does the muster take place

How strict are they when it comes to taking a bottle on board

(mrs likes a drink before we go to dinner)

Best time to go for dinner

Entertainment on board

and anything else you could think of would be great.

Wullie :confused:

Hi,

A good few questions which I'll try and answer as best I can!

1. Types of plugs? You will need a 2 pin adaptor (110/220 volts)

2. Shore trips - value for money? Its impossible to say for the Caribbean cruises as Island Cruises have never done that region before. Generally, excursions are more expensive than doing it yourself. It all depends on how adventurios you are and how comfortable you will feel in taking taxi's in this region? We will be going in mid December and will go on a couple of excursions but I am trying to check out the best beaches and how to get to them to see if we can do it ourselves.

3. Trips to avoid? As above, can't comment yet.

4. Recommended restaurants on board? - Again matter of choice and over the 2 weeks you'll have your own favourite. Speaking personally, we have our breakfast & evening meal in the Island Restaurant - seems a bit more civilised than the Beachcomber on the top deck. On a 7 day cruise we usually go to the Steakhouse once or twice, this is where you pay a supplement of approx £15 each but the food and service is very good. Never visited the Oasis restaurant but have heard it is very goos as well - again you pay a supplement there. During the day, for any snacks we used the Beachcomber and Grill on the top deck.

5. Where do smokers gather? On the pool deck, one side is allocated for the smokers - I get mixed up with my Port & Starboard so can't remember which one it is! The Pub also has an area for smokers.

6. When does the muster take place? If they follow the schedule as on their Med Cruises then it will be on the 1st day which is usually the "at sea" day usually around 10am.

7. How strict are they on bringing drinks on board? Don't know the answer to that I'm afraid.

8. Best time to go to dinner? When you are hungry :D . As with us, it generally depended on what evening show we wanted to see but generally we used to go the Island restaurant at around 7 to 7:30 and most times we didn't queue for more than 5 minutes.

9. Entertainment on board? As I say, it is the 1st time in the Caribbean so don't know what they have planned but on the Med cruises they have a show in the Theatre (Normally 8pm and 10pm) which feature the Island Star show team on about 3 or 4 nights and also visiting vocalists/comedians etc. The show team, in my opinion are extremely good. Other entertainment you will find in the Pub - usually a quiz each evening plus the resident vocalist's - usually a couple who alternate all evening. The Bounty Club usually have game show type entertainment in the evening and then late night music to dance to if you so wish. I don't know if Jongleurs comedians are doing the Caribbean trips but in the Med they were doing about 3 shows during the week.

Anyway, hope that has helped a little! Feel free to ask any other questions and I'll try and give you an answer. But, you will enjoy the experience on the Star so happy sailing!

Steve

hey steve - you are just up the road from us ! we are near Tenterden !:)

I am gonna see if I can sneak a bottle of gin onboard in a water bottle ! ;) worst that can happen is that it is confiscated !

Our TA told us to book the excursions on board and not to prebook online - did you both get told the same ?

Wullie - what ages are you and your partner - we are mid forties and first cruise as well!

ange

Hi Wullie,

Tried to answer yesterday but site kept on crashing on me!

Anyway, it is the flat type pins.

I of course will write a review once I'm back from my cruise but I think I'm doing a different itinery.

Feel free to ask anything else if/when you think of anything.

Cheers....Steve

Hi Ange,

Yeah, not too far! To be honest I don't think they check too much as they didn't stop people at Palma bringing on loads of cans of Fanta etc. That would cut into Island Cruises profits as much as the odd bottle of spirit!

As for excursions, we booked direct with Island (we got a good deal when we on board a previous cruise). The one thing I would say is if you think one or two of the excursions could be very popular then I would book before hand, but generally yes, I wouldn't book up before hand.

Happy cruising!

Steve

We were on the Star in July an denjoyed the Island restaurant for dinner. They are still self service but the have white linen table clothes and serve you with tea or coffee at the end of your meal which I thought ws a nice touch. I don't think Jongleurs are on board in the Caribbean according to the brochure which is a pity as they were excellent. We've been to the Caribbean 3 times with various lines and the only advice I can give is that if there is a particular trip you want to go on book it from the UK particularly if its one where there would be limited space. eg when we went to Mayreau we went on a catarmaran trip around the Tobago Cays so once the boat was full that was it. Also if you wanted to go on the St kitts trains its limited as it depends how many ships are in port that day. But if its say a tour of the island you don't need to worry so much as they will always put another coach or minibus on if there's the demand. The islands are fairly small and as you get of there's always loads of taxis waiting. Sometimes we've just walked off and joined others on the quayside for a trip around the island to share the cost. Some of the taxis hold 15 or so so several groups can go. Most of the trips will only last 1/2 a day. They will work out cheaper but just remember the ship will only wait for those who are on trips organised by the ship!

Hope that helps

Jane

Archived