Tampa Port

cjankowski

HI

Could you tell me info on the Tampa port. Is it easy to get to, ect. We are thinking of taken a cruise from there and driving into it from Michigan.

Or is one of the other FL ports better to go out of?

Thanks for the great help you always give.

I live in Tampa (so maybe I am biased) but it is very easy to get to and park. There are several hotels nearby, and the area has stuff to walk to and enjoy while you are here.

The port is located at Channelside and has shopping, places to eat, movies (even IMAX), the Florida Aquarium and the Waterside Marriott.

If you time it right, you can watch the Tampa Bay Lightning play next door. The Customs folks are quick and professional.

I have sailed from FTL, MIA and Port Canaveral, and although I've never had a problem at any port, the Tampa port is located in the downtown and has advantages (to me). It is also VERY cool to go under the Skyway Bridge.

If your coming from Michigan, I would assume you are coming down I-75, so Tampa would be the easiest.

If you want to go to Port Canaveral, you can cut over to I-95. It is a very easy port to go out of.

I am not an overly big fan of Port Everglades. I felt like i was going through an old warehouse when we got on/off, but to get on a cruise ship, I would do it in a heartbeat :D

Miami was a little tricky, but I'm from a small town.

HI

Could you tell me info on the Tampa port. Is it easy to get to, ect. We are thinking of taken a cruise from there and driving into it from Michigan.

CJ

We live about 10 miles south of you on I-75. We have sailed out of Tampa, Ft Lauderdale, and Miami. I like sailing out of Tampa best. If you are driving, it makes the most sense. Right down I-75 to Tampa. If flying in, Ft Lauderdale is the easiest, but not as much fun, and more expensive than Tampa. The port is right downtown, with hotels and restaurants closeby. Ybor City is not too far away, and there is Busch Gardens if you have your car.

Check these links.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor.asp

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/about/maps/index.htm

http://www.channelside.us/

http://www.ybor.org/

KreinKrunker,

That is way to funny. I work about 10 miles south (Bay City) and Husband works in (Midland). Thank you for the great websites and the info.

Thank you all for the great advice.

We were thinking of driving, as it will take longer, but will cost less. My husbands grandma has a home in Zepherhills, so we could hang out there before hand and is not very far away.

We will look into all options as we would love to take our son on a cruise.

It is easy to get to and you can also stay at the holiday inn express on rocky point. They have a package that includes your room, parking your car and transporation to and from the port at a reasonable price. Give them a call 813-287-8585.

Hi! The Tampa Port is easy! Did you know that if you stay at the holiday inn express in tampa on rocky point drive they can take you? They have a package that includes transporation to and from port and you can leave your car on property. Very reasonable prices as well. Here is their website hiextampa.com. Good Luck!!

mmba95, your info on the holiday inn express is just what I was looking for when I found this forum. I'll be sailing out of Tampa in Feb. '09, driving in the day before, and hoping to find a place to leave the car if I stay there the night before. Is the hotel in a nice area, where the car would be safe?

mmba95, your info on the holiday inn express is just what I was looking for when I found this forum. I'll be sailing out of Tampa in Feb. '09, driving in the day before, and hoping to find a place to leave the car if I stay there the night before. Is the hotel in a nice area, where the car would be safe?

Hope you are not sailing the first of Feb - Tampa is hosting the Super Bowl, and rooms will be expensive and difficult to find.

There are some areas to avoid (like near Busch Gardens), but there are a lot of threads and recommendations for other lodging.

Agree that it is a nice easy port. I drive, and for anyone else who does, I just read on another thread that parking is going up from $12 to $14 per day.

A question for all of you Tampa people...

We are sailing into Tampa on a repositioning cruise in November. We will need to get from the port to the airport.

Are there taxis? Any idea what they would charge?

What other options are available?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We just returned from Tampa from a cruise....when you are checking in at the ship, they will have a table with a guy selling "return transfers" for the day you leave the ship to go to the airport....they were $9.00 per person....when you get your luggage and leave the building, turn to your left and cross the street and you will see lots of vans....show them your receipt and they will direct you to the right van....have a porter help you if you have more than two pieces of luggage, because you have to walk across the street and sometimes a little ways down if there are a lot of vans....we have done this several times without a problem.....or taxis are very plentiful as you leave the area with your luggage and a taxi ride to the airport is about $25.00. Hope this info helps.

Someone else asked about hotels.....we stayed at the Embassy Suites Westshore....free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, complimentary happy hour from 5:30-7:30pm with drinks and snacks, hot breakfast buffet the next morning and only $10 per person for the shuttle ride to the airport....that worked out $40-50 cheaper than booking the "cruise package" rate that included the shuttle to the airport - so check out both options. We did not know about the $10 shuttle as they said they did not have cruise port transportation unless you booked the "package"....we called a taxi.....they said they would be there in 15 minutes.....we waited 30 minutes and they did not arrive....called again and they said they would be there shortly.....waited another 20 minutes and they still had not arrived....at that time, the vans for those with the "cruise package" were arriving and they said if you don't have the cruise package the cost is $10 per person....so we paid for the shuttle and went that way....by the time the vans loaded everyone up and left, the taxi still had not arrived. The hotel was nice, across the street from a mall and restaurants, and a convenience store a block away and a Walgreens several blocks from there walking toward the mall but on the same side of the hotel.

A question for all of you Tampa people...

We are sailing into Tampa on a repositioning cruise in November. We will need to get from the port to the airport.

Are there taxis? Any idea what they would charge?

What other options are available?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cabs will be readily available, lined up in the loop right by the exit. Cab fare from the port to the airport is $25 (per vehicle, not per person, doesn't matter if you're in a car model or a minivan model).

There are various other shuttle services, limo services, etc. Their typical rate is per person, I think around $10 or $11 apiece. So if you're alone, you can save about $15; if there are 2 of you, you save a few bucks. But the tradeoff is you either have to make your way from the terminal to where they are located (or tip a porter to get your luggage there), and maybe have to wait until the shuttle fills up before you depart (whereas with the cab, you hop in & take off).

If I was with another person, I'd take the cab. A couple of dollars is worth it to me for the convenience.

Archived