Puerto Amador - evening excursions

hewoallan

Going on Island Princess in december. One stop is Puerto Amador from 5pm to 10pm after going through the canal east to west. How close are we to the old city and/or Panama Canal? What is the easiest way to get around and do we have enough time to walk around on our own?

Thanks,

Allan

Puerto Amador is a small (very small) island that is connected by a causeway. You can see Panama City across the bay from there. I, myself, wouldn't venture out in the evening unless on an interesting tour. The island has tourist shops, restaurants and a marina. Definitely not walkable to Panama City. If adventurous, a car might be an option.

Hi,

Is it Panama City or Puerto Amador that you suggest not venturing into in the evening?

We will be in Puerto Amador as well....from approx. 5 - 9 PM. We are on the Island Princess, r/t from LA on Sept. 25.

We have to tender to Puerto Amador and I was hoping we could at least take the tender over and set foot on Panama. Is there anywhere right near where the tender docks that we could just walk around a little and/or sit and enjoy the sights and still feel safe?

Thanks!

Puerto Amador is a small (very small) island that is connected by a causeway. You can see Panama City across the bay from there. I, myself, wouldn't venture out in the evening unless on an interesting tour. The island has tourist shops, restaurants and a marina. Definitely not walkable to Panama City. If adventurous, a car might be an option.

It's gets dark at 6:30PM and the Casco Viejo isn't really a place to wander around at night. There is restoration going on, and clubs and restaurants starting to spring up, but . . . you're leaving at 10PM and BOB is probably 9:30PM. You'll find lots of people walking, jogging, and sitting along the walk on the Causeway with fantastic views across the Bay of Panama City at night. The way to get around is by taxi, and there will be taxis available and taxis are relatively cheap in Panama City . . . should be less than $5 on Amador with surcharges for night time, etc.

My advice would be walk around, watch the ships in the Canal from the Causeway, enjoy the view of Panama City, find a little restaurant and get some fish and wine . . . and enjoy. For more see http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/qa-for-cruisers/

Regards, Richard

Archived