Wheelchairs on QE2 - Any Tips?

Toffeegirl68

Any particular hints and tips re. wheel-chairing about on the QE2?

(Parentals are on the round Britain trip)

Which parts of the ship are not easily accessible? My mum is able to walk - but not very far / for very long. (Their cabin is located aft, deck 5).

Much appreciated.

J

The two top outdoor decks will be hard to get too. Boat and Sport. There may be ramps to go on Boat deck, But I know Sports deck aft is off limits.

No wheel chair access.

Most of the Public rooms are all on One and Quarter deck. Elevators on QE2 are small and quirky. I am sure others will have some tips also.

I think you can get to the one outdoor pool. I hope this is helpful.

While QE2 is charming and unique, she was built before people really thought about wheel chair access...

Tom in Long Beach..

Just read this thread. I was travelling with my Father last year on the QE2 & he had occasion to use a wheelchair. It was far from easy - as said above, the QE2 was built prior to the consideration of wheelchair access, sadly. It is worth taking a trip around the ship on your own to acquaint yourself with the layout first if you can - there were areas where the chair simply couldn't go & I was aware that my Father found this embarrassing, particularly if we held people up when trying to retrace our steps. Unfortnately I am struggling to recall quite where they were. I do remember however that deck access was difficult - seem to recall only one ramp / door out onto the deck. There are places where ramps have been added, but are often steep & narrow. Check out the lifts as well - again I have memory that on leaving some lifts, we were faced with stairs. Also, the lifts are small, often with limited landing space outside them - also a difficulty. Sorry I can't be more specifically helpful, but would definitely recommend doing a recce as soon as you arrive.

Recently we had a lady with a wheelchair on our table. She said that the only door to get outside on boatdeck is the one next to the board room.

On upper and quarter deck you can access all areas but there are ramps always only on one side of the ship yet not consistently on the same. It is best to familiarize youself with the layout.

If you dine in Caronia, Princess or Britannia Grill you can use a side entrance to the right of the stairs leading to the Caronia.

I hope they have a great time. Um.... what is 'the other site' :confused: I have heard mention before, but am clearly too dim to get it!

GG (also saving for 2010)!

You are not too dim. Can't tell you the website name... I'll get banned.....

Rather than being a general critic of cruise, the site is just for being a critic of cunard.

Archived