Cozumel - which of these 3 places to snorkel?

honkanen

It is open and more windy by on a fairly calm day the snorkeling is gorgeous! We've snorkeled in Coz pre-hurricane (which ever one was a few years ago) and it was very decent on the west side, but since the hurricane, the last time we were there, the reef was destroyed and was terrible snorkeling (at least in my opinion). The next time we were there, we did the Dune Buggy excursion which took us to a beach on the east side of the island. While it was a fairly long boring swim (nothing but sand) out to the reef, the reef itself was AWESOME!! The water was about 30'deep and the reef came right up to the surface which made for almost "buildings" of coral that you could swim between and around. Around every turn was another gorgeous tall reef. We snorkeled for about an hour and there were plenty of divers that were below us swimming through the tunnels and all around in the reef. It was some of the best snorkeling we'd done in a long time. The water clarity was superb even though we were very near where the waves were. I guess it being so deep there it helped not stir up the bottom. I would highly recommend the East side, but with a guide to show you where to go.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Cozumel about 3 times since Hurricane Wilma remodeled the reef on the west side of the island. The first time was right after the hurricane, in fact we were their the day the port opened, we had to use tenders since the piers were destroyed. While we were there we snorkeled all three times, yes the reef was damaged, especially the first time. But the water was still super clear, and the fish were still hanging around. It was like snorkeling on a wreck as there were all sorts of things that ended up on the reef after Wilma. The next two times we went back you could notice the change as the reef started to rebuild itself. Granted it is not back to pre-storm level, but it is still a great snorkel, especially if you like fish spotting. And the water is calm and there is almost no current. If you do one of the boat based snorkeling tours they will take you to the least damanged part of the reef.

The East Side of the island is similar to the reef in Belize which is awesome as well. But it is further from where the ships dock.

It is open and more windy by on a fairly calm day the snorkeling is gorgeous! We've snorkeled in Coz pre-hurricane (which ever one was a few years ago) and it was very decent on the west side, but since the hurricane, the last time we were there, the reef was destroyed and was terrible snorkeling (at least in my opinion). The next time we were there, we did the Dune Buggy excursion which took us to a beach on the east side of the island. While it was a fairly long boring swim (nothing but sand) out to the reef, the reef itself was AWESOME!! The water was about 30'deep and the reef came right up to the surface which made for almost "buildings" of coral that you could swim between and around. Around every turn was another gorgeous tall reef. We snorkeled for about an hour and there were plenty of divers that were below us swimming through the tunnels and all around in the reef. It was some of the best snorkeling we'd done in a long time. The water clarity was superb even though we were very near where the waves were. I guess it being so deep there it helped not stir up the bottom. I would highly recommend the East side, but with a guide to show you where to go.

mrsfuzzmo - do you know what this reef or area was called. I'm interested for my next visit to Cozumel.

honkanen - We have been to Cozumel several times and snorkeled on our own most of the times. I have not been to Punta Sur but I have been to the other 2.

Chankanaab - I was there many years ago but did not experience good snorkeling, too many people, a lot of damage.

Dzul Ha - (where the money bar is now) We've snorkeled here several times pre- and post hurricane. It used to be a great place to snorkel pre-hurricane. When we were there this past March it was very damaged and not a lot to see. The water clarity is very good and there is some structure to the left as you face the water with lost of fish. If you go there, walk up to the rock area on the right side and swim out, you will eventually drift down to the left. You will definitely have a nice time there but it's definitely not what it used to be.

Have you tried Eagle Ray Divers - they are highly recommended on this site. we booked an excursion with them once in Cozumel and had a nice time. Hope that helps.

Jessie

Help ..We're in Cozumel in May on RCCL's LOS . We have a few snorkellers and one novice but recently certified diver. We 'd like to find a tour where everyone can have a good time... DH really wants to diver but wants to spend time with her BF who's still new to snorkelling and not ready to tackle scuba. Any thoughts? Do you know of a blended type of tour?

Help ..We're in Cozumel in May on RCCL's LOS . We have a few snorkellers and one novice but recently certified diver. We 'd like to find a tour where everyone can have a good time... DH really wants to diver but wants to spend time with her BF who's still new to snorkelling and not ready to tackle scuba. Any thoughts? Do you know of a blended type of tour?

If you have enough people, you can always book a private charter. We had 7 people (myself as a diver, and 6 snorkelers) and booked with Blue Angels. That was 2 years ago, and it worked out very well. At the end of our trip we (asked to) were dropped off at Paradise Beach. We had lunch there and enjoyed the beach a while, before heading back to ship.

BrooklinNorth - Have you checked out Eagle Ray Divers? We are snorklers and booked with them a couple years ago, they are highly recommended on this site. They had snorklers and divers on the same tour and seperate guides for each. They boat dropped of the divers, then the snorkelers and basically traveled back and forth between us. It was a great tour and a lot of personalized attention as there were less than 10 of total on the tour (most of us snorkelers). Antonio and Chellie were great! Hope that helps! :)

Jessie

East side can be EXTREMELY dangerous for swimming and snorkeling.

The 3 you list are the 3 best for shore snorkeling these days, with Chank and Punta Sur being state parks.

I've been all 3 post-Wilma and Punta Sur is probably my favorite, but it is a long way from the cruise ships. I've haven't been to Dzul Ha since the reef balls were added, which should have improved its appeal.

We had a great time last year with Eagle Ray divers. The guides were great with the inexperienced. I finally learned how to dive down to see stuff. Really fun day even though it rained the whole time. We were wet anyway so it didn't really matter. Took us to 3 different locations.

Which of the following places would you prefer for snorkeling?

Chankanaab

Dzul Ha

Punta Sur

Chankanaab and Dzul Ha are both near shore reefs which were badly damaged by Hurricane Wilma. The coral is dead, but the fish have returned. Many half day trips, including Eagle Ray's, just go to Dzul Ha.

Most full day boat snorkel/dive trips visit the outer reefs, usually Columbia and Palancar. Both are first rate. Lots of live coral and fish and the occasional Manta Ray.

My last trip with Eagle Ray we continued down to Punta Sur. It is terrific!

The outer reefs suffered only minor damage.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

http://cozumelinsider.com/

Like the other posters said, if you want to snorkel, I would definitely try a tour, otherwise you may be disappointed. I have been to Dzul Ha since the reef balls were added, it has helped, but a lot of the fish have not returned. I still like to go there, the water is very clear and the money bar is a nice place to hang out for the day, but the reef has really suffered and there's really not to much to see in my opinion.

Jessie

Archived