cruise with 3 year old, 14 days

sweetbasilcanada

Hello, we are first time cruisers and need some help! We are planning a 14 day cruise on the Med this fall on the Celebrity Summit. I am very nervous that this is maybe too long with a 3 year old. As we have never cruised before we have no idea what to expect. We like the looks the Celebrity line and have chosen it over RCI. The only other option would be a NCL on the Gem for 7 days. Which we would do if we decide the 14 would be too long. But we are hoping that we can do the Celebrity one. Has anyone done a long cruise with a under 5 year old. Any experiences with a young one on the Summit? Did you use the Fun Factory for port visits (I am a nervous parent and leaving him on the ship makes me stressed!)? Can the kids walk out on their own from the Fun Factory...or is it secure? Any help would be appreciatted!

For a child that young, they will NOT allow him to leave on his own! Older kids can get permission to do so, but you won't give that permission!

That is a long time...you may want to try a shorter cruise and see how it goes! But--most kids are happy if their parents are, so...you know your kid best!

Just my humble opinion..... we have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter and we love to travel with her. She will be going on her 3rd cruise with us this coming week.

We have also taken a 12 med cruise a couple of years ago (before baby) and it is very port intensive. In order to enjoy each country we got up very early and came back to the ship late afternoon. We only had a few hours in each port and we want to enjoy every minute of it.

Well, I think a 14 night cruise is pretty long for a little one. It is not impossible, it just take some patient, planning, and a reality check that you won't be able to visit everything with the baby. Since this is your very first cruise, think about which places you want to visit the most and don't try to do a lot in one day. We cruised w/ Celebrity a couple of years ago and we had an outstanding cruise. I don't know about their children's program, but I know that all the children's program in any cruise line are open for a certain time during the day, they are very secure, they give you a pager, wrist band and no one is allowed to take your child out without your permission. Compare Celebrity and NCL activities for your little one search this board before making a final decision. A med cruise is pretty special you can have a lot of fun on a 7 night cruise instead of 14 night.

When my husband did this a couple of years ago it was exhausting but fun. But I don't think it is for little ones.

Good luck in your decision!

Neya

Archived