Explorer or Grandur

Mike45

Hello all,

My wife and i are looking to cruise next May and looking at going to Bermuda. I can gruise from Baltimore,( about an hour away) on Grandur or Explorer out of Cape Liberty, N.J.( 3 hours away. I have never cruised with RCC. Carnival once. Want your feedback. How was Bermuda?:rolleyes:

If I lived in York County, I'd go to Baltimore, just less hassle. I've been on Grandeur several times and also Mariner (same as Explorer) - just depends what you like in a ship. I'd pick Grandeur - if things are a bit cool in May you will have the covered Solarium pool on Grandeur, not Explorer.

Hello all,

My wife and i are looking to cruise next May and looking at going to Bermuda. I can gruise from Baltimore,( about an hour away) on Grandur or Explorer out of Cape Liberty, N.J.( 3 hours away. I have never cruised with RCC. Carnival once. Want your feedback. How was Bermuda?:rolleyes:

Bermuda is fabulous if you play your cards right! Lots of fantastic free public beaches, public transportation is available for a small fee ($24 for a 3 day pass) and will move you all around the island, clean, no crowds of people swarming for your tourist dollars. It depends on what you like to do and how much you want to spend. Food on the island is expensive because it is all imported but we went back and ate on the ship. There are several forts on the island you can explore (some are free), tons of small coves that seem like little private beaches, an aquarium (which Catherine Zeta Jones & her husband were visiting when we were on the island.) We went out of Philly in 06 and got lucky...amazing to see the Atlantic from the other side! Totally different than seeing it from the US. I'd say to go, go, go...we have the most fabulous photos also. I can tell you more about it if you had specific questions/concerns.

We've also sailed the Grandeur and the Mariner (one of Explorer's sister ships) and can attest that both classes of ship are fantastic! However, if you are basing your decision totally on the amenities on the ship, you'll need to decide what you can live without. The Mariner has the Royal Promenade, three specialty restaurants, mini-golf, an inline skating track on the sports deck and a fantastic ice show in Studio B, amongst other great stuff. However, the Grandeur is also a grand ship with a wonderful crew; Captain Rob is an incredible navigator and just a great guy! You can't go wrong with either ship. If the extra Voyager-class amenities don't matter to you, I'd base my selection on price, itinerary and convenience. Either way, you'll have an amazing cruise experience!

We've also sailed the Grandeur and the Mariner (one of Explorer's sister ships) and can attest that both classes of ship are fantastic! However, if you are basing your decision totally on the amenities on the ship, you'll need to decide what you can live without. The Mariner has the Royal Promenade, three specialty restaurants, mini-golf, an inline skating track on the sports deck and a fantastic ice show in Studio B, amongst other great stuff. However, the Grandeur is also a grand ship with a wonderful crew; Captain Rob is an incredible navigator and just a great guy! You can't go wrong with either ship. If the extra Voyager-class amenities don't matter to you, I'd base my selection on price, itinerary and convenience. Either way, you'll have an amazing cruise experience!

I agree, its all bout what you plan on doing on the ship, and if the extra things are worth it to you.... I have said on the voyager class and love it.. the biggest difference is the Promenade... They both are wonderful ships... I always wanted to go to bermuda and hope to nexin the next couple of years .....Have a great time

Penny

Penny

Also, please check the schedule for next year. I think the Grandeur is going out of Norfolk from mid April through June/July of 2009 then moving to Baltimore. This year (2008) they came to Baltimore in April then moved to Norfolk in June and just returned to Baltimore through the end of October.

I love cruising out of Baltimore and think the Grandeur is wonderful (just got off the Bermuda cruise today actually). Wouldn't drive to Norfolk though--Port of Baltimore has spoiled me.

I sure hope Grandeur is in Norfolk in May '09 because I was planning to board her to Bermuda then! :D She'll be sailing out of Baltimore in the fall, though. In fact, the Oct. 3rd cruise out of Baltimore is a 7-day as opposed to Grandeur's normal 5-day Bermuda runs.

To the OP...

I've sailed both classes of ships and have found in general that the ships like Grandeur tend to be a more relaxed cruise whereas the ships like Explorer tend to be very active cruises. Explorer is bigger and fancier with more activities, but Grandeur is classic and has an incredibly friendly crew. I don't think you will go wrong on either ship.

Our problem is we don't want to give Granduer to Norfolk or Tampa anytime. We'd love to have it out of Baltimore year round. If carnival can do it why can't Royal Caribean :)?

Haven't been on Explorerer but Granduer is a great ship. Crew is incredibly friendly, helpful, etc. We're not the type that is into the flow rider, specialty restaurants (don't usually even eat in the main dining room), etc. We love the elegnce and size of the Granduer.

Thanks everyone. I have never been on RC . The one thing i hear alot on the posts are the ships don't seem like they are running A/C. I like it cool when i sleep. RC seems a little more money, but to me less of a deposit. I do love the pics of the ships i've seen.

I just got off the Grandeur today. We went to Bermuda. It was really beautiful. I loved Horseshoe Bay beach. The people on the island are very friendly.

The only thing I didn't like about the ship was the food wasn't very good. The last day back was kind of cold and rainy. Thank goodness for the solarium. It was nice and toasty in there.

My friend went with me and she is in her twenties and was very board on the ship. After midnight there is nothing much to do. I retire early and wake early so I was fine.

Archived