Western Med Cruise

Mr. Baloo

Hi all, I do a lot of lurking here but I have a question as we have never been to Europ/Med before.

Is it worth the extra $1500 for a outside room or even more for a balcony room for the Western Med cruises? to me, you are 50/50 of seeing all water or more preferable the coastline... ????

I am thinking since you are in port most days, and only dressing / sleeping in your rooms, the inside room is fine. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

If you check out the prices and book early, it does not have be that much of a price difference. I booked RCCL 7 day Med cruise last October for this October and looked at all the different departure dates. It was $200 difference from and inside to a balcony! I paid $1099 for the week...

It really just depends on what you're looking for.

We did the 12 night W. med cruise on Brilliance a couple of years ago and, at times the scenery off the balcony was worth the price. In some ports like Civitavechia (sp?) and Livorno they were industrial ports and the view was, IMO, ugly.

I always enjoy sitting on the balcony with a cup of tea or coffee and relaxing. You are correct that the W. med cruise is more port intensive. For us we'd spend the day in port and in the evening pretty much passed out. It was all we could do to show up for dinner. In fact, this was the cruise that taught us the alternatives to the main dining room were very good.

IMO, a outside or balcony cabin isn't necessary on this itenerary. My wife is slightly claustrophobic so we'll always have a cabin with at least a window. Still, if I can swing the cost, I much prefer the balcony. Not just for the scenery but as a place to relax, get some fresh air and have a little privacy rather than standing up on deck with all the other people.

Two of the most beautiful coastlines you will ever see are the French Riviera and the Amalfi Coast. To be able to see these as the sunsets and you sail away takes your breath away. Also, I don't know if Malta is still on the Western Med itinierary, but the walled city of Valleta is also breathtaking as the ship sails in.

Peter

Hi all, I do a lot of lurking here but I have a question as we have never been to Europ/Med before.

Is it worth the extra $1500 for a outside room or even more for a balcony room for the Western Med cruises? to me, you are 50/50 of seeing all water or more preferable the coastline... ????

I am thinking since you are in port most days, and only dressing / sleeping in your rooms, the inside room is fine. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Depends on the time of the year you are sailing.

I've done inside and balcony cabins in the Med. If you can afford the balcony, go for it. But if it means that you'll have to skimp on shore excursions and souvenirs then do the inside, so you don't have to stress about spending during your vacation.

IMO I don't think the outside is worth the extra money. You get sunshine, but I think looking out will only make you want to go outside so you can REALLY see what's out there.

If you do the inside cabin then just be sure to book one that's readily accessible to an outside deck.

We just sailed to the Western Med on Independence, and I loved sitting out on the balcony as we were sailing in and out of the ports. It was also a nice, quiet place to retreat to on sea days.

Archived