Something fun to do in this port.

PACURN

We were not impressed when we found out we had to stop here instead of Grand Cayman ( a favourite stop of ours), but now I am glad we did go there. Merida is a lovely city and I wish I had had more time to spend there. There are beautiful buildings and architecture. The cathedral is very old. The Central Plaza is beautiful. It is the cleanest city I have ever seen in Mx. The people were nice.

We hired a taxi at the port for 120.00 dollars for the day.There were 8 of us. Four adults and 4 children ranging from 4-10. We toured thru Merida first and then went to Dzibilchaltun (sp?) afterwards. That was nice to. The diver stayed with us all day. After the ruins he drove us to the beach in Progresso and we all had luch together at Flamingo's. It overlooks the beach and we could see the cruise ship in the back ground. It was pretty there.

The ruins were nice and very hot and humid. Wear your bathing suit and you can swim in the cenote. It's a fresh water pond with beautiful lilypads growing in it. It was a blessing to jump in after walking aroung the ruins. It's not slimmy. There are little fish that nibble at your toes. They're funny. We had a great day and pleasant taxi driver. He didn't know much english but we all got by and had a great day. The kids loved the swimming.

Hope you have a wonderful day when you stop there. We did. No regrets.
Happy Sailing
Debbie

Sounds like a great day, just what I had in mind. Did you bargain with the driver or are there posted set rates? How did you arrange it?

One more question, do you think the ruins at Dzib... are interesting enough for two young teen boys? I've been to Chi Chenitza (SP?) and I know they are amazing, but it would be tooooo long a trip.

Elaine

Archived