Tell me about the Monarch of the Seas!

TwoWeebles

I want to hear from anyone who has sailed on the Monarch of the Seas. We are booking a trip on this ship tomorrow and my hubby is worried because the ship is "old". I have heard that the ship has been renovated, but what does this really mean? Also, good friends of ours are going with us on this trip and it will be their first time cruising, so I want them to have a good experience. Have you sailed on Monarch recently? Tell me all about your experience on the Monarch please!

Go to the Royal Caribbean threads and find "All Things Monarch of the Seas." That will tell you a lot.

I'm about to take my 24th trip on Monarch, so I guess you could say I like the old gal (who still isn't old enough to vote, by the way, as she's 17 years old or so). The cabins are tiny by today's standards, but they are well laid-out. the ship lacks the bells and whistles of the newer RCI ships - you won't find a Solarium, Flowrider or Royal Promenade.

But what you will find is the best crew in the fleet (assuming they don't all transfer to other ships or leave the fleet :() that is eager to give you a wonderful cruising experience.

Monarch is perfect for a "getaway" as opposed to a "real" cruise. On the weekend it can get a little crazy with all the activities crammed in, but you don't have to do all of them, or any of them, for that matter.

The ship was remodelled in 2004, and is scheduled for some spiffing up (no major changes) after she goes through the Panama Canal. But I wouldn't anticipate major changes, maybe just some common area repairs.

Have cruised on the Monarch a couple of times, and would do it again if the cruises were longer. I am sure the ship has been upgraded so far as new carpeting, furniture, etc. We have been on fourteen cruises, mostly RCL, and the very best waiter we ever had was on the Monarch!!

Archived