Kids Money Issues

Maria65

Last time out we didn't give our kids charging priviledges on their seapass cards. Now we're bringing my daughter's friend along and her parents want to giver her money for the trip for incidentals. Is it possible to put a certain amount of money on the kids cards or is it just tied into the overall room account? Now with Johnny Rockets charging as well, I'd like the kids to be able to use their seapass cards for that.

I'd rather not give them carte blanche though, just a reasonable amount. I trust them not to go crazy but I'm worried they might misplace their cards.

Also, does anyone know if kids can use traveler's checks? She's 13 and has a passport. Her parents want to give her a sense that she's paying for things rather than just giving us the money because this is money she's earned babysitting.

You can tie each of their seapass cards to cash. My brother in law does this, and I think he puts down $200 to start the account and then re-loads the card if necessary. With kids, this would mean they can spend money and have a little independence, but they can't spend an unlimited amount. This should be a great solution for a 13 year old, who might want to buy souvenirs, pictures, Johnny Rockets, virgin "cocktails" etc. without having to bring mom and dad along to pay. Especially if the girls are used to having their own spending money on shore, I can't imagine depriving them of that on board.

You could buy a pre-paid VISA card for each child. They're available in any dollar figure, and they work just like a debit card. If you buy a $100 card and they spend $75, they can take the remaining $25 home and spend it anywhere.

Archived