Cave Tubing ---what to wear?

peggisue

:cool: Okay -- I know that this sounds really silly, but what do people wear when cave tubing? We are booked on cave-tubing dot com and in their video, it looks like you have to wear the life jackets. So....are their life jackets in good condition (by that I mean clean), or should we wear shorts and tee shirts and then change once we get back to the van? I know that this is a crazy question, but we are leaving next weekend and I'm trying to make sure that I've got everything that I'll need packed. Thanks so much for the information!

:cool: Okay -- I know that this sounds really silly, but what do people wear when cave tubing? We are booked on cave-tubing dot com and in their video, it looks like you have to wear the life jackets. So....are their life jackets in good condition (by that I mean clean), or should we wear shorts and tee shirts and then change once we get back to the van? I know that this is a crazy question, but we are leaving next weekend and I'm trying to make sure that I've got everything that I'll need packed. Thanks so much for the information!

My life jacket was in good condition and clean. I wore a bathing suit, cover-up and crocs. Once we arrived at the rain forest I doused myself with bug spray before our walk to the river. I left the cover-up and all valuables on the bus.

Since there will be minimal hiking I would recommend something you don't mind getting a little wet and going on a short hike in. I wore Teva's/water sandals, mesh shorts (quick drying) and a tank top with a swimsuit underneath. You don't get too wet since you are in a tube and the water isn't too deep where you get in and out. I didn't think about bug spay and didn't get alot of bug bites.

This is what my tour operator suggested and proved to be the perfect answer to all my questions as what to bring......Take a change of footwear, clothing, fly repellant, sun block, and a towel (ship's towel will be fine). Sunshades are not necessary on the actual tour. Because you are in a rainforest, mostly under jungle canopy, there will be limited sunlight; a hat is totally optional, but some guests may still want to wear one. Wear tennis shoes, secured sandals, crocs, or beach booties. The park has shops, which rent footwear and sell a wide variety of handicraft. Tour vehicles are locked and guarded for security of your personal items. Nice bathrooms at the cave site, along with a couple small local handicraft shops. Life vests are issued to all. Each guest gets a special caving light and a floatation tube. As for the guests safety, our tour guide INSISTED that we wear our life vests at all times when in the water....I cannot preach enough how the safety of guests in our group took presidence over what I was seeing how other tour operators were hap hazardly taking safety of their guests with a grain of salt regarding safety instructions to screaming and yelling, slapping innertubes while in the caves, etc.....at times it was hard to hear the narration from our tour guides who seemed to get continually frustrated by other tour operators antics.

In closing, so you get the full Belizean experience, I strongly encourage anyone who takes this tour to purchase the lunch - rice and beans, stewed chicken, cole slaw, OJ or soda. Watch the habanero pepper sauce!!!

Have a blast at your cave tubing experience as I and my friends did !

I'm going to add make sure you wear something you don't care about getting dirty/stained. I wore a pink tank top over my bathing suit (I didn't wear shorts. I hate them clinging to me wet.) and because we were hooking feet it got mud all over it and the mud never came out. Of course, I probably should have rinsed it when we got back instead of leaving it for 5 days until I did laundry at home, but just wanted to throw that out there.

As for the guests safety, our tour guide INSISTED that we wear our life vests at all times when in the water....I cannot preach enough how the safety of guests in our group took presidence over what I was seeing how other tour operators were hap hazardly taking safety of their guests with a grain of salt regarding safety instructions to screaming and yelling, slapping innertubes while in the caves, etc.....at times it was hard to hear the narration from our tour guides who seemed to get continually frustrated by other tour operators antics.

Can I ask which tour guide you used?

As for the guests safety, our tour guide INSISTED that we wear our life vests at all times when in the water....I cannot preach enough how the safety of guests in our group took presidence over what I was seeing how other tour operators were hap hazardly taking safety of their guests with a grain of salt regarding safety instructions to screaming and yelling, slapping innertubes while in the caves, etc.....at times it was hard to hear the narration from our tour guides who seemed to get continually frustrated by other tour operators antics.

Can I ask which tour guide you used?

This thread is about what to wear for cave-tubing...you are off topic.

This thread is about what to wear for cave-tubing...you are off topic.

So the poster is not allowed to ask additional questions specifically about cave tubing ? If he had asked what lunch options were available would you of then approved of his post....or is that off topic too ? If I asked you who you booked your tour thru you would not reply ?

When did you all of a sudden become a board monitor ? :confused:

Archived