Carnival Glory vs RCCL Freedom class

sunrise&set

I am finally planning our next cruise. It will be me and DH, our 2 year DS and my parents. We are considering taking my 20 yo DD as well - not sure yet. I have been doing lots of research on itineraries and ships, as well as reading lots of info on the boards, but I still can't decide.

We're looking at Carnival Glory either Feb 28 or Mar 14. And on RCL, I love the Independence 8 night Eastern - many dates to choose from.

Here's my dilemma:

1. Son turns 2 on Feb 15. I know he can go to Camp Carnival after that date and that RCCL starts at age 3 so the sail date won't matter.

2. RCCL Freedom Class has the H20 Zone - isn't that the splash park DS would be able to play around in even with swim diapers? I think I would prefer this to sending him to Camp. We are taking him so we can spend time with him!!

3. We can get a Carnival Suite for less than a Category D1 on Royal. We do love the suites but not sure if a bigger room is worth this decision. Here's one of my questions: Is there a curtain dividing the beds from the sitting area in this category on Royal? It shows one in the pics but I want to be sure. I'd be willing to give up a little space if we can divide the room for DS. He will fall asleep easier that way. It doesn't look like Carnival suites have any type of divider. Also, if you have experience both categories on Carnival and Royal, would you say you'd much rather have one over the other to the point it would be a deciding factor??

With all that being said, I know my parents don't care whichever cruiseline. We are looking for an Eastern Carib Itinerary (parents' preference) although I wouldn't mind Western LOL! We went on NCL Dawn last March when he was 13 months and we had a blast!!!! He was so good and I will never forget it. I know this upcoming cruise may not be the same though, you just never know. We chose NCL for the freestyle dining but we missed having the same waitstaff every night. Their suites were also reasonably priced and had great amenities. There's not much to choose from with their ships in the Carib so we're not considering them this time.

Oh, and it looks like the Junior Suites on Royal are sold out on Independence of the Seas 8 night itineraries in Jan and Feb, but I think that would be too much of a price difference for us anyway!

Thanks so much for any input. I plan to talk to DH tonight because it's driving me crazy not to have a cruise booked!

Let's see if I can help you about Indy.

The H20 zone, yes, he can go in the "Baby Zone" area wearing a swim diaper.

FOScopy.jpg

I won't be in a D1 on Indy for a few more months yet (on Freedom we did a GS), but on the 360 degree tour for Freedom (assuming Indy is the exact same, which as far as I know, it is)...then yes there is a divider between the couch bed and the main bed. You can see it at the RCCL site, click on Freedom, then the balcony cabin 360 tour.

Yes I've had Penthouse (Cat12) on Carnival, but when it comes down to it, more room does not make up for the rest of the ship. ;) Now if it was more room and suite perks, then yes maybe...but the only perks that Carnival give its suite guests is VIP embarkation.

Thanks Michele, I knew you'd have the answers LOL!!! DH loved the suite perks on NCL and I didn't think there were any on Carnival. I plan to talk to him tonight about Indy - it's a little more for a D1 than Categ 11 on Glory, but it's also one more night! :)

I didn't notice that you will be going on Indy - I'm looking seriously at the Feb 7 sailing, so right after you!

Thanks Michele, I knew you'd have the answers LOL!!! DH loved the suite perks on NCL and I didn't think there were any on Carnival. I plan to talk to him tonight about Indy - it's a little more for a D1 than Categ 11 on Glory, but it's also one more night! :)

I didn't notice that you will be going on Indy - I'm looking seriously at the Feb 7 sailing, so right after you!

Aww, come on our sailing. It is the SUPER BOWL sailing. :D :D :D

I didn't know that until after I booked, but now we are trying to make plans to have a super bowl party onboard with other CCers. ;)

Yes, the suites on NCL seem awesome. I would love to try those one day.

We stayed in a Cat 11 Suite on the Glory in April with an 11 month old. I personally didn't like the Glory and didn't feel the suite upgrade was worth the money. We arrived to the port about 1:30 in the afternoon, and there were no lines. Besides the cute little beach ball they gave DS, VIP check in didn't help us. At the end of the cruise, we were some of the first to get off the ship. I can't confirm this, but it seemed like most of the CAT 11's were given early departure tickets.

We're planning another cruise for May 2009 and looking at Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Legend. Since we really liked the Miracle (legend is in the same class) we're having to weigh our pros and cons like you. However, if my choice was other boats or the Glory, even as tempting as it is to use Camp Carnival and get a suite, I would not choose the Glory.

I can't confirm this, but it seemed like most of the CAT 11's were given early departure tickets.

They go by deck. I have no idea what order they use. But I can tell you that in the Cat 12, we were the LAST to get off the ship. I was sooo mad. I was hearing Deck 3 being called before us. :eek:

I think the best thing about the suites, besides for the bigger space are the suite attendants. They seem MUCH more accomodating and friendly then regular cabin attendants. I guess we can assume that they promote the best attendants up to the suites. :D

They go by deck. But I can tell you that in the Cat 12, we were the LAST to get off the ship. I was sooo mad. I was hearing Deck 3 being called before us. :eek:

I think the best thing about the suites, besides for the bigger space are the suite attendants. They seem MUCH more accomodating and friendly then regular cabin attendants. I guess we can assume that they promote the best attendants up to the suites. :D

It doesn't seem fair that you pay so much more and are still the last to get off the boat!!! I guess we lucked out that day.

I agree...our suite attendand was the best we've had on a cruise so far.

I think my problem with the Glory is I expected too much out of it. Everyone I talked to said how great the Glory is, and I didn't find it as glorious as others apparently did.

Well, although I'd LOVE to try out RCCL, it's not going to happen this time. My parents are coming too and I am so excited about that, but when I priced the cabins for them, it's about a $900 difference between the balcony on RCCL and the 9A Wrap Around on Glory.

Now it's between Glory on 2/28 or Valor on 2/22. We've been on Valor before but don't mind going again. It's the same exact itinerary and we're leaning toward the Valor because we can get our cabins on the same deck (Categ 11 and 9A). Now I'm going to check airfare to see if there's a significant difference with those dates.

Thanks again for your help. Maybe we'll try RCCL in 2010!

Archived