Staying on Ship and not doing Excursions

t2digital

It's excellent. I do it at least one port day on every cruise. It is the only time I can/will sit close to the pool. Sea days by the pool are too crowded and too much commotion. As others mentioned - the ship overall is less crowded and it makes for a very relaxing day.

What is it like to stay on the ship and not do a shore excursion? Our next cruise has so many ports of call that I thought it might be nice to stay on the ship for a couple of the calls.

I never do shore excursions and fully enjoy staying onboard. It's quiet, peaceful and you can actually enjoy laying out on a lounge chair without all the noise!!!!

If there is something I want to do or see ashore, I'll grab a taxi or walk or rent a car.

I find no pleasure being loaded into an over-crowded bus or van and hauled around only to arrive at a place with hundreds of people trying to do the same thing I am-in a "canned" environment.

That's just me, however. I cruise not for the ports but, rather, for the ship and the sea.

The ship IS less crowded and there ARE spa specials and such, but we've found it's really a waste if you don't get off the ship and at least see something of the port you're visiting. At worst, we take a Frommer's walking Tour, if available, or take one of the van/taki "island tours" and try to eat lunch in a locals resteraunt. ken

What is it like to stay on the ship and not do a shore excursion? Our next cruise has so many ports of call that I thought it might be nice to stay on the ship for a couple of the calls.

Its great to have the ship to yourself, no lines at the buffet either.

Fred

When we went to Cozumel last year we didnt stay on the ship the whole time. My parents had been there twice in the past, it was my first time, but there went really any appealing excursions. We slept in a little bit and ate a late breakfast so everybody could scramble to get off the ship, without us having to be stuck in the stairwells waiting to go down one step every 5 minutes. Then we got off and just got a cab in town for 5 bucks went to the main plaza and did some shopping, went to panchos and got a drink. We were off the ship maybe 10-12. We got back on the ship and went to Johnny Rockets and didnt have to wait forever in line. Then we went swimming and had most of the ship to ourselves. Still spending the morning on land, the ship was pretty empty, it was wonderful.

I would stay on the ship the whole time in cozumel this time, except it is my friends first cruise. However we have decided it is cheaper to not do shore excursions. We're going to Progreso and Cozumel and I think we're just going to be on our own without paying a crowded shuttle to take us to a beach. In Grand Cayman we ended up paying 15 bucks to take a cab back to the ship because the shuttle wasnt going to come back for 6 hours and that was just way too long. We went in with another couple and it ended up being not that bad. The excursion wasnt anything what we expected. My opinion on beach and shopping excursions is if you do your research you can spend the same if not less by going on your own, however you must do your research, and make sure you make it back to the ship on time using your brain and common sense. As far as some of the other excursions, i think they can be a lot of fun, and you wouldnt always be able to venture off on your own to snorkel, or ride an atv, etc.

I have medical issues and can't do any of the all terrain type stuff or things on unlevel ground. I prefer the beach and shopping, I"m there to relax.

We always book aft balcony cabins, so if there is a port that we have 'done so many times' or just can't decide what to do, we just sit on the balcony and enjoy...:) Bucket or two of beer and a few 'foo-drinks' usually saves us a bundle of $$$, and also makes for a relaxing day...:p

Spa is normally expensive, so if you can save 20% during a port day, and they have something you want to try, a port day is the time to do it!:D

We did a three day cruise to the Bahamas, then a 7 day cruise to "elsewhere". We stayed on the ship in the bahamas cuz we were just plain tired!! It was really nice while we were doing it, but now I feel alittle bit sad about missing the port. So my advice is to make SURE you won't regret your decision later.

Archived