DRF and Beach--The Best Way to Do It

moondoggie

My DS and I had a FABULOUS time at Dunns River Falls, and here is how we did it:

1. Buy your water shoes at Target for $5.00 before you go. Much better than sneakers or Tevas. Wear your swimsuit and possibly a pareo or T-shirt. Bring a WATERPROOF disposable camera.

2. Get off the boat as early as possible, and catch a cab on your own. If you are early enough, you will have the place to yourself before all of the tour groups arrive.

3. After arrival, rent a locker and stow your stuff.

4. Collect a guide and tell him you want him JUST FOR YOUR PARTY--do not join one of those big slow snaking groups. It is dangerous for all involved because of the slipping that is possible. With just two people the guide can show you exactly where to place your feet, and, he will take terrific photos with your camera. Tip him $10 up front, with a promise of more after the climb. We ended up paying ours $30 for the two of us--and it was SOOO worth every penny. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND our guide, Joe Rose, who has been guiding 15 years, and who knows all of the flora and fauna, the best 'photo ops', and the stories about the falls.

5. For my sis and I (fifty somethings in pretty good shape) it was a strenuous climb, and we would have been LOST without our guide. If you aren't in good shape, you definitely need a very small group and a good guide.

6. If you don't want to climb the falls, there are plenty of entries into the flat pool areas along the trail. You could spend the whole day just soaking in the pools.

7. When you have finished your climb, get what you need for beaching and take the steps back down to the beach. There is a nice quiet area right near the falls; we spent several hours floating in the ocean and relaxing on our blow-up floaties (we brought 'em).

8. Shower briefly, dry in the sun, and catch a cab (or a boat) back to the ship.

9. And finally, when you return to the ship, head for the T-Pool and ease your body into that warm water!

Really enjoyed reading your tip on Dunns River Falls. This is exactly what my sister and want to do. She is mid 40's and I am early 50's and also in good shape. We did plan on using the water shoes. I assume you took a cab from the ship which appears to be approx $13. Did u share a cab?

You recommended going early, what is early and are the guides all right there waiting for you to ask them to guide you?

You mentioned you went to the beach after, we were concerned about going to a beach as it is just the 2 of us. Were there enough people there that you felt safe enough?

Stupid question but is the water warm? Look forward to your thoughts.

jane

Jane, I spent a week in Ocho Rios in September. I think what Moondoggie means by early, is get off the ship as early as you can, get a cab, and you can beat the groups who have to assemble on their buses. I'm not sure about the cost from the pier, but I can recommend a reliable driver who can pick you up there and make sure you are well taken care of. He actually played river guide for us (not quite as knowledgable about the flora, etc), but there are guides at the beginning of the falls.

The beach there is very safe. You will have no problems. The water is warm, clear and beautiful.

When are you going? Let me know if you would like my drivers contact information. You can set it up so he meets you right at the ship.

Have fun!

Yes, by early, I mean go to breakfast, and then get off the ship as early as possible, i.e. hopefully 30-60 minutes before the official ship excursions start. This will get you a way from the crowds. We got a cab just for the two of us, because it was not crowded. If you have lots of ships in port it is even more important to go early.

I definitely liked the guides there, because of their extensive knowledge of the area, and the growing stuff there. Plus, they took the best photos of us with our camera--where the cool spots are.

The beach is right at the bottom of the falls, very safe, warm water. It is not huge, but it was perfect after climbing the falls.

Someone we met there had arranged to have Peat pick them up at the pier, took them to DRF, and then were picking them up at a prearranged time. My DS and I didn't want to be held to specifics, so we just headed back when we chose to. You can catch a cab, and possibly join up with others returning back to the ship; we negotiated for a small speedboat to take us back after our beaching--but that's a whole 'nother story!

Regardless, it's a nice 3-6 hour trip without crowds--you will love it!

Archived