Ecstasy - 9/11 cruise!

want2cruiseagain

We had a great time - 4 day turned in to an 8 day cruise. Crew did a great job considering the circumstances. Goose - great cruise director, fielded questions from angry group with grace.

Met some great folks on the cruise. We took all circumstances in stride. Only 460 of us left from New Orleans to new port in Houston.

Some felt that Carnival gave little option to cancel this cruise. I have to agree. But all in all it was good cruise and will go with Carnival another time.

Food- only the evening, good food in the dining room. Buffet - have had better with NCL and Princess,

Ecstasy is a great ship, but due for dry dock, that is all I can say.

Will respond to any questions asked...

Did you leave your car at Galveston?

We knew the port area would flood. Friends that we went with, we took his son's old pickup and parked it at another friends condo closer to the seawall. He said if it is ruined, it is not worth anything, so no problem. We spoke to a cab driver and he told us we should have parked at the hospital or one of the bank parking garages which has levels of parking.

Some of the passengers were pretty angry when they found out after sailaway, that most likely they would have flooded vehicles. Some took it in stride.

Two of the musicians onboard were angry with Carnival, because they would not let them off the ship so they could tend to their vehicles. He said he was ten minutes away, if they would just let him go find higher ground, but they would not.

We knew the port area would flood. Friends that we went with, we took his son's old pickup and parked it at another friends condo closer to the seawall. He said if it is ruined, it is not worth anything, so no problem. We spoke to a cab driver and he told us we should have parked at the hospital or one of the bank parking garages which has levels of parking.

Some of the passengers were pretty angry when they found out after sailaway, that most likely they would have flooded vehicles. Some took it in stride.

Two of the musicians onboard were angry with Carnival, because they would not let them off the ship so they could tend to their vehicles. He said he was ten minutes away, if they would just let him go find higher ground, but they would not.

Wow, I feel for the musicians. That would definitely leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

As for the pax, though, they drove their car to Galveston when a mandatory evacuation was in effect and a huge hurricane was heading straight towards the island. They could've found a way to make other arrangements.

Glad to hear you had a good time, and that you were able to not lose your car! :) Speaking of which, do you know how did the truck did?

Speaking of which, do you know how did the truck did?

Our friend will go down there as soon as he is able to check on it. He is a pilot and has been flying since we got back, so has not had a chance, plus they are just now letting people go back in.

Alot of pax said that Carnival did not give them the option of backing out of this cruise and giving money back, even half. They felt they were forced to go. I was nervous about it at first, but then when I found out we were heading south ahead of the storm, I was OK with it.

We were on main deck, and they had our window covered. At the Captain's party Friday evening, he explained why they were covered, which was understandable. Then he said he would keep the covers on because we may encounter rough seas later in the cruise and I got upset about it. We were in calm waters by then and there was a beautiful sunset. Woke up in the wee hours of Saturday and was getting claustrophobic. When we docked, I went to the pursor's desk and asked if there was anyway we could move to another room that was not blocked, even if it cost more. Told her I would have booked an inside if I did not want a view and I felt disoriented not know what time of day it was. She said they would have to ask corporate. We headed back to our cabin, and low and behold, they were removing the covers. Did not need them the rest of the cruise, as the waters were smooth from then on. Perhaps they got lots of complaints about this, who knows?

We did not cruise out on this cruise, but when we did leave out of Galveston in April, we rented a car to drive from the DFW area to Galveston. We rented through Priceline, and took out the insurance just in case of storms. (Thunderstorms with hail, not hurricane)

I think we will do that again.

Archived