Xcaret or Playa del Carmen?

gkrnjlr

I have a LONG way to go until we have our next cruise but I was thinking today about what we'll do in Cozumel this next trip.

Do you think Xcaret would be a good excursion with a 5, 4, and 1 year old?

Another thing that crossed our minds was taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen. I have yet to research ANYTHING there.....so it's just a passing thought in my head as of now.

We're not beachy people though, so the idea of going to a beach for the day is not really one that we want.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We took a taxi from the pier in Calica to the downtown/beach area of Playa called Fifth Avenue. We knew we didn't want to stay off the ship long so this seemed like a good option at the time.

First of all, we did not enjoy the beach there. We loved to snorkel with the kids but that was impossible because the water is so cloudy. The ocean floor is definitely sandy, but all that sand is swirling around making the water seem mirky. Even worse, there was a TON of garbage on the beach and washing up on shore. There were life guards, but it appeared picking up garbage is what they had to spend most of their time doing. (FYI this beach is exactly where the ferry from Cozumel docks.)

As for the shopping in the Fifth Avenue district, it reminded me of what Nassua used to be like many years ago. Can't explain exactly why it reminded me of that. There were some gift shops, jewelry shops and also some major brand stores that always seem oddly out of place to me on the islands. They even had a McDonald's.

When we got back to ship, dh and I decided we didn't love it. Next time we would probaby book an excursion or gain an extra sea day. Others may love it, it just wasn't great for us.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm....so it sounds like PDC isn't at the top of the "must see" list, huh? Is there anything there that's worth it? Or should we just stick with Cozumel or something else?

Thanks!

I would check out the excursions that are available. There might be something great there.

I believe the ferry ride to cozumel is about an hour from PDC so that is always an option too. We love Cozumel ~ Mr. Sancho's specifically. The ocean is A~M~A~Z~I~N~G!!!

I am looking at this excurions too (Xcaret) but I have some questions for those who did it, how BAD is the ferry ride???? I remember a little while back someone reporting that everyone on the boat was violently ill because the ride was so bad. And I see that RCCL has a warning on this excursion now.

So I want to know, is the ferry ride that bad?

I would really love to go there but getting sick at the start of it is not something I want to do. ;)

So right now it's between Xcaret and Chankanaab. And the reviews on Chankanaab say that it is the perfect beach for YOUNG children

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CozumelChankanaab.htm

Where exactly is Passion Island? Is that in Cozumel?

Hubby and I were talking and just shooting ideas out we thought that we'd head to Chankanaab.....but now you've peaked my interest in Passion Island! Tell me more, please! LOL

Where exactly is Passion Island? Is that in Cozumel?

Hubby and I were talking and just shooting ideas out we thought that we'd head to Chankanaab.....but now you've peaked my interest in Passion Island! Tell me more, please! LOL

There is a thread running since 2004 about Passion Island....it is a private beach for cruiseship passengers ONLY. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=55918

These are the reviews from Trip Advisor...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d154082-Reviews-Isla_de_Pasion-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Let me check out the thread you just sent....thanks!

Since my last post I have been researching Passion Island and the only thing that concerns me is how far away you have to go to get to it. I'd be worried that we wouldn't make it back to the ship on time.

Let me go check out your links though.

Thanks!

o.k. we have been to Xcaret, but not Chankanaab. (you can google both parks). I understand Chankanaab is close to the pier (ten or fifteen min.), but the ferry ride to Xcaret is long. When we went to Xcaret it was stormy, but soon cleared. It was a rough ride, but no one got sick. When you debark you take a bus to the park about ten minutes away. It is expensive, but truly worth it. So much to see and do. Either park, it will be very hot, so dress light with plenty of sunscreen.

I just read on Carnival's website that the minimum age for Passion Island is 7. That leaves us out. :rolleyes:

That's okay though, that means we can go there another year.

I am leaning towards Chankanaab park. I didn't realize it was close to the pier, thanks!

Curious....we were there less than two weeks ago and were at the Punta Langosta pier. We got off the ship and had a shopping day. We turned left once we got out there. I didn't even think to go right. What's in the opposite direction? (Turning right after you get off of the pier)

I've been to Playa del Carmen several times, and I enjoyed the beach a lot. I don't remember ever seeing garbage in the water or cloudy water, so maybe that was the result of one of the hurricanes. If you don't want to spend the day on the beach, you probably wouldn't enjoy it too much. I've enjoyed shopping on Fifth Avenue there, but Kid usually don't enjoy shopping for long. It just isn't a kid-type place, in my opinion. Xcaret is fantastic, and it has something for everyone....a nice beach, an underground river you can swim in, a horse show, musical shows, swim with the dolphins, exotic birds and animals, nice shady areas for relaxation and a nap, a small museum, an aquarium, etc. I agree that it would be safer to go on an excursion with your cruise ship, because it is a distance from the port. There also is a fantastic night show if you have time to stay that late.

I just read on Carnival's website that the minimum age for Passion Island is 7. That leaves us out. :rolleyes:

Not on RCCL....there are no age minimums for Passion Island. So I will come back and tell you how it went.

And since it's a cruiseline excursion, we won't be missing any ship. :D

The reason Carnival has an age minimum is that they take the high speed boat out to Passion Island. The boat is called the TWISTER...eeek. lol So no Twister for me and no age minimum :)

I only took the return trip on the ferry once. It was raining and windy but I don't remember it being rough at all. It was a short lived storm though. I can't speak on what's available to do at Chankanaab but it looks essentially like a beach to me ?? Like susan123 said there's so much to see and do at Xcaret. I'm sure you'd be able to find stuff to do with your children other than just sit on the beach they have there. The underground river is amazing, though I'm not sure if you could do that with the little one or not, the 4 and 5 year olds could probably do it. They supply life jackets for the trip. Maybe one of those little floaty rafts for babies would work for your 1 year old. I highly recommend this park.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the ferry on the day a storm hit. It was rough, but only one person in our group who was prone to sea sickness was really bothered. We've been to Xcaret twice. Once in the rain,a nd prior to that when weather was great. Fantastic place (mostly when sunny). Lagoon area is great for toddler swimming. Animals and shows for kids. As an alternative to ship excursion, take the ferry across yourself and grab a taxi to the park, Not very expensive and quick. You can find discount coupons on line soemtimes. You need to bring biodegradeable sunscreen for kids. Enforcement is spotty, but they often check.

The underground river is amazing, though I'm not sure if you could do that with the little one or not

Just want to point out that the underground river is very cold. We went in December and the temperature of the water was 15 C.

To me the best part of Xcaret is the evening show - but chances are if you are on a boat you have to rush back before the show start. So I am not sure if worth the hassle/money/time to go to Xcaret from Cozumel.

(we stayed at an AI when were were in Maya Riveria so had all the time we needed)

PDC is nothing too excited IMO - overpriced brand name stores and local stores that you can find anywhere in Mexico.

I would just stay in Cozumel.

Ah....thanks!

Okay - what about Chankanaab? (sp?)

Worth a trip there with kids? My mother has even said that maybe she'll go do a dolphin encounter and I noticed that they have that there, too.

Thanks again!

If it were me, and I had 3 kids in tow, 5,4 & 1, I would do the least amount of extra traveling to get to my destination. Taking the ferry over can add way to much stress for a vacation day, so I would suggest going to Chankanaab park and let the kids enjoy it. Very close and convenient to the ships docks. You can even do it on your own, just take a taxi, would be less than the ship excursion, and you could leave early or stay later than the ships excursion.

Since you said you didn't prefer the beach scene, I would think Passion Island would also be out.

Archived