Freakin' Me Out...

bb-62driver

We have sailed on over 60 cruises. Our last several, with a couple of exceptions, have been on RCI. To us, most of the complaints are from people who think cruises are all-inclusive. They haven't ever been in my cruising experience. They are looking for excuses to complain about costs that they "feel" should be included, but are extra on most cruise lines.

The gripes about the $15 steak, taking away chocolate, fewer choices on the menu---they are important to some people and to others, ie, the steak, are just additional choices. It's as those the cruise lines should give everything for next to nothing. If the prices were raised to keep everything as they were in the past, the charges would be double or triple what they are today. Compare things to what they were in the 80's and see how much things have gone up, while the cost of cruising has gone down in most cases. Let's see how people would complain about that!!!!!!!!!.

Royal Caribbean has a good product. Granted, some things have changed and that isn't all bad. The thing I find most amusing is that there have been so many people saying they would rather pay a little more for better food. Now that they can do that on a couple of ships, there is so much bit--ing. There is no satisfying some people.

Enjoy.

I was talking to my MIL the other day about a cruise she took in the late 1960's... It was a 5 day Caribbean cruise out of Miami. They had an ocenview cabin and it was $3400 for 2 people not including airfare.

Now $3400 doesn't sound like a lot but remember the average wage back then was about $100/week, cars were $1995, and you could buy a huge house for $10,000

So the fact that 40 years later I can get the same cruise at the same price tells me that cruising is a pretty darn good value. Their costs have gone up and in order to offer a cruise at that rate they have to build bigger ships and get more people onboard and upcharge for the expensive stuff.

I was watching Discovery Channel about ResidenSea cruises and it's $2500 for 2 people PER DAY. Everything is included so keep that in mind the next time folks complain about $14.95 for an organic steak or $100 for a mud wrap.

My wife and I are booked on Serenade of the Seas in Feb. 2009. The more posts I read about RCCL (this will be our first with them), the more I'm feeling like I made a bad choice for our cruise. Are they really that bad, where everything will be a constant battle and a bad experience; or are these just the exceptions to the rule. This cruise combined with the airfare and an overnight in San Juan prior to sailing is costing me a few $$$. I'd like to think I've invested wisely. Please let me know.

We've sailed a few lines (RCCL, Celebrity, NCL, HAL) and RCCL is our favourite.

You will LOVE that class of ship, they are stunning!

Take what you read on this board with a grain of salt!

Mike

I LITERALLY just got off of the Explorer and it was just awesome! The staff are really friendly and the ship is just beautiful. Sure, there are always going to be a few things here or there but Royal is a nice line. I was actually speaking to a few people that had been on NCL and Carnival and they said that they noticed the better quality the minute they stepped on board. The only thing that annoyed me on this cruise were the passengers whose vocabulary failed to include the words please or thank you!

We love Royal Caribbean even after taking the "maiden voyage" on the Rhapsody from Singapore to Hong Kong last January.....to say they were not prepared yet for the Asian ports would be an understatement but even with the snafu's it was a fabulous experience and we laugh about the bad parts now. Sometimes too perfect doesn't leave as many memories, or that's how I choose to view it.

We're very exicted for the upcoming Panama Canal cruise on the Monarch even with the posts we've seen complaining about slightly worn carpets etc. Relax, laugh, don't let the little stuff bug you and you'll have a fabulous time.

We did the Seranade to Alaska with family ranging from 88 to 6 and it was a wonderful experience for all.

Quiltsalad

I will be leaving soon on my 5th RCCL trip (had 1 on Carnival years ago)

I love RCCL. Even though we paid more to have the cruise line take care of our airfare, transfers, hotel the night before etc, to me it is worth the $$$ to be well taken care of.

Enjoy your trip! (In 11 days, Bahamas here I come)

Myra

Archived