Destiny - Post Dry Dock? Pics/Updates...

boozecruise78

oh my gosh...the couple we are cruising with booked a spa deck oceanview for 409 and now they're in a balcony! They are going to flip when I tell them!

and here's the after.

spa-deck-after.gif

notice: the balconies in each room... the new color... and the 'carnival's seaside theatre' - these are current deck plans from carnival.com and partner sites.

gaylensgigi -

the pianoman made my cruise. i spent every night there, and had a blast.

the pianoman's name is martin kaye. he's a hoot! he gets up on the piano and dances around, ad libs with the audience, and knows a good number of songs. i don't remember what i wrote earlier in this thread, but some of the nightly favorites were: hotel california, rocketman, sweet caroline, leaving on a jetplane, candle in the wind, and a bunch of others.

my request was radiohead creep. he didn't know it, but like i said, he can get lyrics for anything if you ask nicely. and fyi, he hates singing pianoman (sometimes) lol, but we made him do it nightly.

here's a pic of him:

last-call.jpg

excuse my drinks... they said last call, i obliged. a hint on that note - they stop drink service in the piano bar earlier than they close the bar. we'd typically get him to sing to us until 2.30-3am, and the point after disco's bar across the hall is open later than drink service in the apollo (piano) bar. and hint number 2 - drink service in the apollo bar can sometimes be less than quick because there is no specific bar - so you can order the 'big glass' which holds 2 cocktails (see left most screwdriver) hehe.

this is martin's website:

http://www.martin-k.com/

he's got several of his own compositions on his website (i bought the cd, too - he was good):

http://www.martin-k.com/clips2

take a listen - i guarantee you he'll be wowed if you request one of his own songs - he does typically play a song or two of his own during the night.

and tell him mark & rob aka the jersey boys say hi. he'd announce every night when we walked in 'aalllright, my boys are here!'

we had some of our own fans and by the last night, people were asking to take pictures with US! soooo much fun.

and bring plenty of dollar bills to throw into the fish bowl. it's fun!

Thanks falkcor! I'm glad to hear that Martin's good. I will be sailing the Destiny 10/11 & 10/16 and love going to the Piano Bar. I will tell him that you said hi (it should be easy to remember since I'm also from Jersey).

-Mark

Sailed the Destiny on Oct 6- Oct 11. All I have to say is that this ship is in great shape! We sailed the 5 day cruise to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. It was fantastic! If you are a beach lover then this itinerary is for you!

My favorite part of the cruise besides the ports was supper. Every night it was as if we were dining at a 5 star restaurant and the menu selection had wonderful options every night. The dining room staff is one of a kind! They were quick, efficient, polite and yes I miss them already.

BIG TIP: Try the melting chocolate cake for dessert (I think thats what it's called....best dessert ever!)

We especially loved the cafe on Deck 5 where they served Cappucinos and Espressos....great coffee and it's a charming little place.

The big screen that was added at refurb was a great addition to the deck but during the day it was weird cause they had new music videos playing but they would never put the sound on....so you're watching Kanye West's latest video but listening to caribbean music (which is fine with me!) It would have been cool if they mixed it up a little, sometimes caribbean, sometimes new tunes which were playing on screen.

This was a great 5 day cruise and for anyone who is second guessing their choice because of the "not-so-good" reviews..DON'T WORRY, it's a great ship with lots to do. I would definitly recommed it.

If anyone has any questions ...please feel free to ask...I will post pics this weekend

Sailed the Destiny on Oct 6- Oct 11. All I have to say is that this ship is in great shape! We sailed the 5 day cruise to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. It was fantastic! If you are a beach lover then this itinerary is for you!

My favorite part of the cruise besides the ports was supper. Every night it was as if we were dining at a 5 star restaurant and the menu selection had wonderful options every night. The dining room staff is one of a kind! They were quick, efficient, polite and yes I miss them already.

BIG TIP: Try the melting chocolate cake for dessert (I think thats what it's called....best dessert ever!)

We especially loved the cafe on Deck 5 where they served Cappucinos and Espressos....great coffee and it's a charming little place.

The big screen that was added at refurb was a great addition to the deck but during the day it was weird cause they had new music videos playing but they would never put the sound on....so you're watching Kanye West's latest video but listening to caribbean music (which is fine with me!) It would have been cool if they mixed it up a little, sometimes caribbean, sometimes new tunes which were playing on screen.

This was a great 5 day cruise and for anyone who is second guessing their choice because of the "not-so-good" reviews..DON'T WORRY, it's a great ship with lots to do. I would definitly recommed it.

If anyone has any questions ...please feel free to ask...I will post pics this weekend

Great to hear you had fun..:) Which cabin # and category did you have and did you like it ? Thanks and welcome home..

We stayed on the Riviera deck, cabin #1187 which was located near the middle of the ship.

For anyone staying on Riviera deck, the good points about it is....

When you get back on the ship from a port, you just got to go up 1 flight of stairs to go back to your rooms while everyone else waits for the elevators.

Another good thing about it is that debarkation was a breeze! We chose the self assist debarkation option (you carry out your own luggages) and Riviera deck was the first one called for debarkation. We were one of the first ones of the ship and through customs in less than 10 minutes.

Oh and did I mention alot of more $$ to spend elsewhere :D

Oh, fantastic about the Riviera deck! I'm going on my first cruise ever on the Destiny, on 1/3/09, and I'm pretty sure I'm on the Riviera deck. Not having to wait for elevators sounds good to me, along with quick debarkation.

I don't care what anybody says about this ship, I know I'm going to have a good time. :-)

Archived