Miami Traffic?

Valor2005

We're spending a few days in Ft. Myers before our Jan. cruise, but are thinking of spending the night before departure in Miami. We're not big fans of really heavy traffic so does anyone have an idea when Friday traffic is the lightest? We're pretty flexible on times, but don't want to get into town too late at night or really early in the morning. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

We're spending a few days in Ft. Myers before our Jan. cruise, but are thinking of spending the night before departure in Miami. We're not big fans of really heavy traffic so does anyone have an idea when Friday traffic is the lightest? We're pretty flexible on times, but don't want to get into town too late at night or really early in the morning. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

I believe I answer this question on another thread.

On a Friday (workday) traffic is pretty heavy up until 10 a.m. and then it slows down quite a bit until about 3 p.m. Then traffic slows down again around 7 p.m. (after rush hour).

Your best bet is to leave Ft. Myers between 9 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., drive down I-75 South (Naples) and then it becomes I-75 East (Miami), the whole drive to the Miami-Dade County line should take you aprox. 1.5 to 2 hours. Once you are in Miami-Dade County, depending on where your hotel is, you can hop on a expressway that will take you to the area where your hotel is.

I thought I had posted on the wrong board originally. Thanks again for your help! :o

Quick suggestion,

Why don't you also check for hotels in West Miami Dade County?

There are several in the Doral Area, which is a good area in Miami, and the hotels should be less expensive than Downtown Miami.

There is a La Quinta right off 87 Avenue and 27th Street NW, there is also a Hampton Inn, a Baymont, a Hyatt, a Marriott and several other ones, all in good areas with quite a few restaurants around and two very large malls within a few miles.

Good idea. I'll check into it. We stayed at the Hampton Inn-Coconut Grove last year thinking it would be a good place to find our way around. But it was the day of the Miami Marathon and the cab had to take sort of a roundabout way to get to the port. Not the best way to get the lay of the land!! Thanks again for all your help.

Archived