Vancouver car rental

We are on the Sapphire Princess repositioning cruise 5/09. Since flying is such a hassle these days I'm thinking of renting a car in Vancouver and taking a leisurely road trip home. Any thoughts on car rentals? I know there is (was?) a car rental booth at Canada place, but I don't remember the agency. I've tried Alamo, but no luck, unless I want to rent from the airport. I'd then need a taxi to YVR....any ideas on the cost for that? Thank you.

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jan

National Car rental & Alamo (same company up here) does have a counter & cars right at the Canada Place cruise terminal.. the other car rental companies shuttle you offsite to where they have cars.. with National, sometimes they have american vehicles that need to go back to the states anyway & you wouldn't be hit with a big drop charge.

Your taxi fare from Canada Place to YVR will run about $35. In addition to National, Avis and Budget both have kiosks at Canada Place. All of the other biggies like Hertz, Thrifty's and Enterprise have downtown locations and they will pick you up and shuttle you. There is a pretty good stream of rental cars coming and going from Seattle each day but the trick would be one that is plated in CA to avoid a big drop charge.

We rented from Alamo/National (booked through the Alamo website) and picked up from Canada Place about a month ago. I thought the rate was pretty reasonable considering we were dropping off in Seattle (fyi, the drop-off in downtown Seattle for Alamo is at the Hilton).

Archived