Dress Code 2nd Seating Dinner?

AlanAD62

What is it about cruise ship dining rooms that they are in a time warp? I enjoy going to some of the finer restaurants at Disney World, and shorts are certainly welcome. That's how most of the guests are dressed. Never felt out of place--I'm on vacation after all.

Disney's top restaurant has a dress code... http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_GB/dining/diningDetail?id=VictoriaandAlbertsDiningPage

Disney is ultra-relaxed, in my opinion: outside of Florida, not that many fine dining restaurants allow shorts. You would get thrown out of a fine dining restaurant in London or Dubai if you wore them.

I think that it is so much more pleasant when people change for dinner: it encourages people to shower or at least put fresh clothes on. If there was no dress policy, then 90% of people would probably not shower and would wear what they have been wearing all day (including sweaty gym clothes, swimsuits with cover-ups etc). Some people would still "change for dinner" (into a nice pair of shorts and clean top), but an awful lot wouldn't... that would add a new aroma to the dining room :)

I am sure that the day will come (and shorts will be allowed) and probably in 25 years time people will be moaning "why can't I wear my speedos/bikini in the dining room - this dress policy is in such a time warp?". In the mean time, I enjoy dinner without having to inhale too many people's day old sweat or seeing too many hairy legs on display (and that is just the women! :o ;) ).... :)

Boo

Archived