Glory Review - Eastern Caribbean 9/13/08

gtalum

We sailed on Carnival Glory on an Eastern Caribbean cruise departing Port Canaveral on 9/13/08. The ports of call were Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten.

In a nutshell, it was a fantastic cruise. Butch Begovich is hands down the best cruise director we've ever had. I see why John Heald took an interest in him and pushed him along in his career at such a young age. He is fun, full of energy, and seemingly everywhere at once, but he has time to chat any time you see him.

Embarkation:

After leaving home in Bradenton at 8:30 we arrived at Port Canaveral around 11:00 AM There was no line of cars yet, so we pulled right in to drop luggage with the porters, and then I parked the car (on level 3, mindful of what Ike just did to Galveston!). There weren't a lot of guests around yet, so it was a very smooth process into the terminal, through check-in, and into the waiting chairs, which they both filled and boarded in rows. We stepped aboard Glory before noon, and headed to the Lido for our lunch. Luggage was all delivered before muster drill. The lifeboat drill is the lifeboat drill, what can I say. It was hot as heck, but we managed to find a place to stand next to a vent blowing cool air. It happened promptly at 3:45 and sailaway followed shortly after, at 4.

The ship:

Glory is a beautiful ship, the theme being Colors. It also seems to have a taste of British Empire, though that's not officially in the theme. The crew was magnificent, likely a reflection upon the cruise director. Everyone was extremely friendly, and many of the crew remembered our names and they all had a friendly smile and wave for our two-year-old daughter. Glory was very clean, and had received a perfect 100 in each of its last two health department inspections. This was our first sail aboard a Conquest-class vessel, and I have to say we really enjoyed the layout, activities, and amenities aboard. Some seem to think these ships are hard to navigate, but we never had a problem.

Camp Carnival:

Our daughter turned 2 just 12 days before our trip. She loved Camp Carnival. All of the ladies working in the camp did a wonderful job helping her to feel comfortable, but one in particular took a special interest in her and really shined. Our daughter cried the first few times we dropped her off, but only for a moment, and nearly every time she didn't want to leave when we picked her up. The activities were varied, from crafts to sing-alongs, to exercises and more. Evening babysitting was handled very well. They put on a movie, spread otu a big blanket and lots of small blankets and pillows, and kids just fell asleep as they got tired, while the older kids watched the movie. Each night our daughter was sound asleep when we picked her up.

After orientation the first night, they gave us a beeper, but we never were paged because our daughter had such a wonderful time. Important to note is that Carnival will take 2-year-olds and changes diapers. You just have to provide diapers and wipes.

Sea Days:

We enjoyed relaxation and tea-time each sea day. Butch has lots and lots of activities planned. We participated in a few dance classes and a lot of sun time, as well as nap time for the baby.

Ports:

Nassau: Nassau is Nassau. My favorite activity here is to eat fresh conch salad and drink beer at Arawak Cay, but an early port call on Sunday is not conducive to that. We debarked at leisure after breakfast, and strolled about town. We went up the Queen's Staircase, looked down upon the harbor from Fort Fincastle, then retreated to the straw market and lunch at (GASP!) Senor Frog's. :)

St. Thomas: This was our favorite of the ports. We rented a car, and toured the island. We first drove all around while the baby slept in her car seat. We then stopped at Magen's Bay, where we spent the early afternoon sunning and swimming. Our daughter loved the calm, warm water with the flat sandy bottom. It's honestly the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. We ate lunch from the counter, and had a couple of drinks throughout the day from the bar. We returned to the ship about 4 to return the car and refresh ourselves, then took a cab back to Charlotte Amalie to stroll and for dinner. We ate at Glady's Cafe, a little hole in the wall with fantastic food, then made our way slowly back to the ship through rush hour traffic.

St. Maarten: Maybe we didn't hit the right places, but this island was a bit of a disappointment. Again we rented a car. This time we headed to Orient Beach for a few hours of sun. The beach was nice, but not as nice as Magen's Bay. It was full of people hawking their goods. We drove around the island, seeing Marigot and Maho Bay, where we stopped for lunch to watch the Air France A340 arrive around 1:20. That at least was amazing, being so close. :)

Then we went back to the ship and returned the car. We shopped a bit at the port to buy some souvenirs for friends and family, then boarded for the trip home.

Debarkation:

This went smoothly, but it's always such a jarring event to go back to reality. We left our cabin when our group was called at about 8:15, and we were through immigration and customs, picked up our bags, had a porter help us to our car, and were on the highway again by 9:00 AM. Not bad overall.

Overall, as I noted, it was a fantastic trip, the favorite of our 4 Carnival cruises so far. People keep trying to convince me to try other lines, but we're so happy with Carnival that I can't be bothered to spend more to sail someone else.

I cannot stress how wonderful Butch was as a cruise director. If anyone from Carnival is reading, this guy is a great asset to your company.

Please feel free to ask any questions for further details that I left out.

I am still trying to figure out what we'll do in Nassau. I take it Senor Frogs is pretty good?

Nassau's a toughie on the Glory cruise because it's such a short port call. Is the Valor the same way? Glory also calls on a Sunday, meaning much is closed.

Senor Frog's can be a lot of fun. It's a tourist trap, but you can have a good time there. Generally I prefer locals' hangouts though.

As I said in another post regarding Glory-I am LOVING what I am reading about her and truly can't wait!!

Thanks again!

Cindra

We're on the same sailing as you. I love reading all the positive reviews about this ship. December 6th just can't get here soon enough!!!! :D

Enjoyed your review and your praise of Magen's Bay Beach. We also love swimming there.

Some have mentioned the short stay in Nassau. The British Colonial Hilton is within walking distance of the pier and for $20 cruisers can use their pool and beach and non-motorized water toys.

Archived