Toddler meals on Princess

tania7424

We sail on Sunday on the Golden Princess. DS is 8 months, and primarily eats table food, as opposed to jarred food. I understand there is a children's menu, but it is it traditional kids menu type stuff like chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, etc? I don't want that. He eats more along the lines of meat, veggies, starch, dairy, etc. Would I be better off feeding him off of our plates and just shredding/cutting up his portion on to a side plate then? I understand I can request pretty much anything, and he does have a large appetite. He eats about 1.5 cups at dinner. :eek: So, maybe, ordering appetizer portions of an entree then? He has no issues with herbs, and most spices, provided there's not too much heat. ;)

And along the lines of I can order anything, for example could I order a grilled chicken breast or 4oz steak cooked medium well, with a side of steamed veggies and mashed potatoes? Feeding him part of that, with fresh fruit for dessert would be the perfect meal for him.

I would think that you could speak with your head waiter and place a standing order with him for your child for meals. just let him know what you are looking for.

If all else fails, just order an entree and feed your child from it.

Let's not forget....your baby is a paying customer. Dont feel bad that you might be "wasting" food.

I'm sure that you will find that your head waiter/staff will accommodate you nicely. You may even be able to swing a standing order of food for room service for breakfast and lunch, if you desire.

Just don't forget to tip!

The kids menu is the traditional "kid" food found in chain restaurants. On my babies' first cruise, we never ordered off the kids menu. There are always plenty of soups, pasta (amazing fetuccini alfredo), fish, tender meat, veggies etc., etc. to choose from and I really enjoyed getting to have my girls try all kinds of new things that I couldn't have afforded to feed them in a restaurant - like shrimp and salmon!)

I don't like wasting food, but the way the kitchen works is everything is plated the same way for time-saving purposes, so even when I asked for a small side plate of something, I'd get the whole serving. I got in the habit of just ordering one item from each course for myself and if there was something that the babies' really liked, I'd order another. Otherwise it was nice for all of us to have a little of everything.

Unfortunately, now my toddlers have learned the heaven of junky kid food, they'd love to eat nuggets and fried for every meal. We have a rule on a cruise that they can have junk for lunch, but no kid food at dinner.

We LOVED the Golden. You'll all have a great time.

Best,

Mia

Does shrimp and crab count in the no shellfish before age 1 rule?

I would think so. I'm not sure about because I didn't follow those guidelines - once on table foods my girls ate everything their nanny fed them, and she fed them the way they do in El Salvador: shellfish, spicy foods, etc. But this brings up a good point - lots of people advise NOT to feed your child new foods while on vacation. I didn't follow that, obviously, but it's something to keep in mind. Sounds like your guy is an adventurous eater though!

Best,

Mia

I would think so. I'm not sure about because I didn't follow those guidelines - once on table foods my girls ate everything their nanny fed them' date=' and she fed them the way they do in El Salvador: shellfish, spicy foods, etc. But this brings up a good point - lots of people advise NOT to feed your child new foods while on vacation. I didn't follow that, obviously, but it's something to keep in mind. Sounds like your guy is an adventurous eater though!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

He really is. There's not much he won't eat. The only real rules I'm sticking to is no nuts, shellfish, or egg white until 1 year. Otherwise, it's all fair game. Once we got through introducing first and second stage foods with absolutely no issues, I stopped doing the wait 3-4 days thing. It was actually on the advice of our pediatrician and a dietician that he be fed table food, rather than jarred food, starting at around 7 months, as it would expand his tastes more, and make him more readily accepting of stronger flavours. It's only in North America where we make everything bland and smooth for babies. Everywhere else, they just eat what everyone else is eating.

My kids never order from the kids menu. They are not babies, but I don't think it matters.

Our waiter was always able to give our kids sauces on the side just in case they did not care for them and was able to substitute plain pasta, rice or potatoes if the kids asked.

My husband always orders the volcano from the kids menu for dessert. Try it.

Archived