Rumor or fact?

morecruise4me

I posted this in the Belize forum and got 119 looks but no responses.

Shark attacks increased in Blue Hole area? Has anyone heard of there being increased...or even any...problems with sharks while diving or snorkeling in this area? I told a friend of mine that we were planning to go snorkeling in Belize and she said she had seen a TV program a few months ago about a problem because of a meat processing plant dumping into the waters and causing the sharks to be more aggressive. I googled it and couldn't find anything on the subject, so I'm thinking there must be a mistake. Anyone have first hand info? I want to put this to rest once and for all! :confused:

The Blue Hole looks amazing in pictures. I imagine you would have to use some caution in any body of water - especially the ocean.

I Googled and couldn't really find anything. If you go, be safe and have fun. *cheers*

Shark attacks increased in Blue Hole area? Has anyone heard of there being increased...or even any...problems with sharks while diving or snorkeling in this area? I told a friend of mine that we were planning to go snorkeling in Belize and she said she had seen a TV program a few months ago about a problem because of a meat processing plant dumping into the waters and causing the sharks to be more aggressive. I googled it and couldn't find anything on the subject, so I'm thinking there must be a mistake. Anyone have first hand info? I want to put this to rest once and for all! :confused:

The issue with sharks may be an issue around the beach near the plant, but I've been to the Blue Hole and dove for a week around the various reefs on a live-aboard 7 day scuba excursion and didn't even see a shark. Remember that the reefs in Belize are a good 2 hour boat ride from the shore. Anything dumped in the ocean would be disipated well before reaching the reef. Think this is story that goes in with big foot sightings. Do the reefs in Belize, they're some of the most prestine reefs in the Caribbean. You'll really enjoy yourself!

Randall

I believe the concern was in Brazil not Belize. Here's a link to the story I think she's referring to...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4111175.stm

The sharks in Belize are mostly nurse sharks, like overgrown catfish. They won't bother you.

Shark attacks increased in Blue Hole area?

Not that this answers your question, but you are not going to dive the Blue Hole from a cruise as it is way too far away from where the ship anchors.

Perhaps this is a little off subject. I flew over the blue hole a few days ago

and did see sharks in the water. I don't know what kind of sharks. We

went to shark ray alley off the coast of San Pedro, and yes we did see many

sweet natured Nurce Sharks, rays, and wonderful coral. The cost was $10

USA each snorkler for the park fee only. I recommend this trip.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the responses. Looks like another rumor gone wild! I am not actually planning to dive at Blue Hole (Bruce) but wanted the info to set my friend's mind at ease about Belize in general. We plan to snorkel closer in. We've seen Nurse sharks in other places and are not too worried about those either. Thanks again for all the help. We are looking forward to a great time. :D

Archived