Glory Passenger drowns while Cave Tubing in Belize

CruiseCentric

There's a new thread on the Carnival board stating that they're changing the regulations regarding cave tubing, including the guide-to-passenger ratio (1-8, which is what the private groups already have) as well as taking other steps to increase safety.

I don't like to think that some of the private tour operators were already using these safety precautions while others were not, and that the cruiselines contract with those who do not (probably because they're cheaper and they can put more money in their pockets).

But so many people will only do ship excursions for fear of being left behind.

So, which would you prefer? To miss the ship or to die?

I'll still book with the reputable independent operators, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I am also interested in finding that info out (who the tour operator was) as we were looking into doing this excursion next Dec. After posting, I saw from another thread that it seemed to be a Carnival excursion. Interesting, as I had heard they were "overly cautious", and canceled this excursion at the drop of a hat if conditions weren't perfect. My thoughts and prayers to that family on their horrible loss.

Hi, I went to 7NewsBelize.com and found the details to date on this unfortunate incident at http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=12259&frmsrch=1. According to Laura Esquivel, Director of Product Development regarding Tourism, "the park (located in Cave's Branch River) is actually managed by the Institute of Archaeology and they actually have guidelines which they follow for closure of the park or keeping it open and from what I have been told, because I spoke to them, is that the river levels were all within the levels they would see acceptable however they did give warnings to the operators who did choose to operate yesterday, that they should use caution and I must mention it is not only one operator that decided to still have tours, it was more than one.”

The tour company was Bel-Cruise. The company declined comment and promised to send a release, but, according to 7NewsBelize up to news time, that was not forthcoming.

The site doesn't mention if the company was affiliated with any cruise line. I'm scheduled to go cave-tubing but with cave-tubing.com in Belize in Nov this year and am a little concerned. But on the other hand cave tubing occurs most days of the year and I've only heard good things about this company from other CC boards. In any event I guess I'll still be giving this some more thought. Just thought I'd throw some info out there and hope it helps.

Interesting. The original link states that "most" tours were cancelled that day, but it appears the dot com still made the trip. Does anyone know if Major Tom had cancelled?

I don't believe Carnival is to blame for this other than they contracted with the independent tour company. It has to be the tour company who makes the decisions as to whether any given excursion should be undertaken. I've been on sailings where snorkeling or parasailing booked through the ship were cancelled due to weather conditions, but you could disembark and immediately sign up to do the same thing with an independent guide.

Seems to me that it's the tour operators who were understaffed, and not requiring people to wear their life jackets.

Why would I not go zip lining yet I'd go cave tubing again?

Because I doubt I'd survive a 40' drop whereas if I were cave tubing in a group, wearing my life vest, surrounded by competent guides, I think chances of survival would be pretty good.

I'm aware of the risks. If the others on my Roll Call want to do it, I'll do it. If not, I'll probably do a different excursion, since I like to see new places and do new things each time I visit a port.

I believe I understand your point but don't you think it's the cruise lines responsibility to make sure that the excursion company it contracts adheres to the required rules? The first rule already mentioned is that there should be 2 guides for every 8 guests (not every 39). Another rule is to ensure that the weather, water levels, etc are Ok, if not ideal, for the related excursion. The cruise lines have this information at their disposal daily. I believe it is the responsibility of ANY cruise line to make sure the rules are followed and, if not, then they should not contract their services to protect the safety of their guest first and their bottom line second.

Archived