Booking Group With Cruise Line, Then Transferring to TA

cyberfilly

I am thinking about coordinating a group cruise for November 2009 but haven't selected a TA yet. Can I go ahead and initiate the group with group sales at the cruise line to lock in the group space and then transfer it to a TA later? The total number of staterooms is still TBD as I have only just begun promoting it to friends and family.

(Anyone want to join us?? :p )

Thanks to all.

Every cruise line has different group policies - some require money up front, different minimum number of cabins, some limit the number groups in a month an agency can hold, etc. If you have a specific cruise line and departure in mind call that cruise line and see if they will let you set up your own group.

You would probably have better luck working with a “store front” agent. Call a few in your area. The cruise line can recommend ones that they do a lot of business with. Give the agent you cruise information and ask if they will give you the tour conductor credit (free berth) and if they have a fee. A good agent will give you the free berth and not charge a fee.

I’ve arranged several family reunion cruises on Holland America and they’ve all been easy to do and memorable for all the family.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘8

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

I am thinking about coordinating a group cruise for November 2009 but haven't selected a TA yet. Can I go ahead and initiate the group with group sales at the cruise line to lock in the group space and then transfer it to a TA later? The total number of staterooms is still TBD as I have only just begun promoting it to friends and family.

(Anyone want to join us?? :p )

Thanks to all.

I think that is a good idea as you can get everything organized and transfer prior to final payment. Note many agencies charge for every change nowadays including errors regarding names. so, it might be less headache to go through the cruise line and then transfer.

Archived