Transferring Group Booking to TA

cyberfilly

I am coordinating a group cruise for November 2009 but haven't selected a TA yet. Can/should I book the group with group sales at Princess to lock in the group space, then transfer the group reservation to a TA later? The total number of staterooms is TBD as I have only just begun promoting it to friends and family.

(Anyone want to join us?? :p )

Thanks to all.

The question is do you have the time and Patience it will take to be both the organizer and Travel Agent for this group? Keep in mind that if you open a group to more than just your close friends and relatives the people will look to you to answer all the dumb questions, and take care of all the minor details for them. Think about this carefully and consider letting a professional Travel Agent take the heat for you.

With RCI, it's an easy transfer to a TA. With Princess, I've not had anyone ever do this after the group was started, so I'm not sure how easily this is done.

Keep in mind that the pricing you get for the group could be different from what a TA could get and of course, the discount you get from the TA will vary greatly depending on who you use.

Check out a few TAs before committing your group. Find out what the TA's cancellation fees are (if any). Make sure you'll not only get the best deal, but most importantly, you'll get the best customer service. Sometimes a TA that answers e-mails & phone calls quickly is invaluable. ;)

I do plan to use a TA, I just haven't selected one yet. And I know the prices are better with a TA. I was just asking if a group reservation could be easily transferred from Princess to a TA, much like you can with an individual reservation.

Not all the time. Agencies are only allowed to have one group per sailing. If you booked your space direct with PCL.. and then found an agent you loved, only to find out they already had a group on that date.. you'd be back to square one.

The best thing to do, find an agent first. The Princess I-Excel agencies can open group space for you and hold it open with any money from you. As cabins are sold, the occupants can call their credit card numbers directly into the agent. Less trouble for you.

You need to have at least 8 cabins with 16 berths to qualify as a group.

Unless your TA uses GAP points to "buy" down that rate to 12 passengers for 1 free cruise fare. It all depends on what the GAP points are for your particular sailing and if the TA can use them freely or if her corp. office controls it.

Princess does not handle group cruises. You have to use a TA that specializes in group cruises.

Are you sure? A few years ago, I organized a group directly through Princess. Everything went smooth. When I called them in Aug 07 for an Oct 08 cruise I asked about getting a few perks, like OBC, upgrade, etc. At that time they told me the only way to get these was to go through a TA. I did, and got some extras AND slightly better pricing. I couldn't figure why Princess would recommend this since they have to pay commission to TA's? Maybe things have changed since then though.

Are you sure? A few years ago, I organized a group directly through Princess. Everything went smooth. When I called them in Aug 07 for an Oct 08 cruise I asked about getting a few perks, like OBC, upgrade, etc. At that time they told me the only way to get these was to go through a TA. I did, and got some extras AND slightly better pricing. I couldn't figure why Princess would recommend this since they have to pay commission to TA's? Maybe things have changed since then though.

Yes - I am sure! I am in the middle of organizing a cruise for 2010 and called Princess. As of Late Aug - Princess made changes in Group Cruises. Instead of 8 bookings you now need 16 or more. The Rep also advised me to contact a TA that handles group cruises. Princess no longer handles them. I guess it's because of the work involved.

Another advantage of a TA is that they can work with you to create marketing materials and send fliers, postcards, emails or whatever you choose to anyone you request.

Princess Commodores have extensive Princess training and can be of great assistance.

Yes - I am sure! I am in the middle of organizing a cruise for 2010 and called Princess. As of Late Aug - Princess made changes in Group Cruises. Instead of 8 bookings you now need 16 or more. The Rep also advised me to contact a TA that handles group cruises. Princess no longer handles them. I guess it's because of the work involved.

It does look like things have changed since I last contacted them. Thanks for the info.

Not sure why would you have trouble believing that???? The agent was being honest & Princess truly does not care how you do the booking. If you want the obc etc go through the ta...if you want the control over the many bookings do it yourself......I would do whatever you are most happy with.

Yes - I am sure! I am in the middle of organizing a cruise for 2010 and called Princess. As of Late Aug - Princess made changes in Group Cruises. Instead of 8 bookings you now need 16 or more. The Rep also advised me to contact a TA that handles group cruises. Princess no longer handles them. I guess it's because of the work involved.[/quote

When was it 8 berths? It was 16 berths over a year ago, are you sure you are not confusing cabins with berths?:o

Archived