Just Returned from Playa Uvas

munchkin4

We just returned a couple of days ago from our Ecstasy cruise and we spent our day in Cozumel at Play Uvas. I know there have been several questions about it, so wanted to give my view.

First we docked about 10 am at the International Pier. Walked toward the street to find a taxi and passed many vendors and souvenior shops.. They were not overly pushy and I'm sure if I'd been in the shopping mood, I could have found things to my liking. Taxi's were plentiful just as they are at Punta Lagusta. There was a sign that had several destinations and the cost. It was $10 to Uvas. Taxi was nice and air conditioned. When we arrived, I handed driver $10 plus tip and that was that. We were greeted at the entrance by Carmen and she is just as nice as everyone said. The massage rooms are now located just beyond the check-in area. We rented a locker. $9 but you get $5 back when you return the key. We had to wait on a group that was finishing kayaking before we could join them to snorkel so went ahead with our massages. We paid $60 each for an hour and it was wonderful. The girl that gave mine asked what kind I wanted and I told her relaxing but that I had a little trouble with my right shoulder, so she very kindly did a little extra work on that.

We still had a little time so staked out lounge chairs and went to play in the water a little. The sand is white but is not fine. Now it is not course either. You can definintely walk barefoot with out any problems. It is just a medium grade sand. However at the shoreline, it is very rocky. We had purchased $5 water shoes from Wal-Mart and had no trouble at all.

To snorkel that have you walk aways down the beach and then you snorkel back. Water shoes came in handy here as the sand was hot. We all put our shoes in a black trash bags and then the worker who had the boat with us while snorkeling picked them up. Jorge gave snorkel instructions and then took us out. He was very good and kept looking for special things for us to see and then would holler at everyone to look. He really tried to make sure we all saw some neat stuff. We saw sting ray, octopus and many starfish. I'm sure there is better snorkeling elsewhere but this more than satisfied our needs. Thought it was absolutely wonderful. When we arrived back on shore, our lunch was waiting. Waiter was extremely attentive and food was good. We had the fajitas. The guacamole was so good that I ordered an extra bowl, which I had to pay $6 for. Well worth it.

We were tired after this. We had been there for about 4 hours total, so we packed up and headed home. The one thing I need to mention is that you need plenty of tip money. Takes $1 and/or $5. We tipped the taxi, the massages, the waiter and the snorkel guides (they asked for it). They all did fantastic jobs so we didn't mind the tipping at all.

All in all, I would recommend Uvas to anyone. It was quiet, not crowded (about 30 that day) and strangely no kids. We had a wonderful day and enjoyed it thouroughly. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

We had a great time at Playa Uvas, also! We did the clear kayaks - it was my first time, and I had a blast. It was a little rough on the water that day, so we didn't get to go as far as they usually go, but we still got to see quite a few fish underneath us. DH had the fajitas for lunch and I had the delicious fish. If you're looking for something different to do, I highly recommend the clear kayaks!!

Archived