Review of Progresso--Just returned

munchkin4

We were in Progresson on Tuesday, Sept. 23 during our Ecstasy cruise. As we got off the ship it was extremely hot and we almost turned around and got back on the ship. I'm so glad we did not. We walked through the "market place" to wait for the busses that would take us down the pier. These are free by the way. The line seemed long at first but it really didn't take too much time. We were let off at the open air market in town. Sitting right in front was the double decker bus I'd heard about so we hopped right on and went to the top. Our thinking was that more air would circulate up there. The bus ride was really neat and enjoyable. I must warn you---be prepared to DUCK! Many of their highline wires hung down to the point that they will hit you in the head if you are on top. Just pay attention and be careful. After the bus, we walked throught the market for a bit. I did not haggle for prices because the item I purchased was less than what I could have bought it for in the states. I thought it was a fair price so just paid it. They have to make a living, too.

We then walked 3-4 block to the beach and then started walking along it. We hadn't gotten far and 2 young girls asked if we wanted massages. I asked how much and she said $10 for 40 minutes. We jumped on that bargain. I tipped a little extra because that just didn't seem right. They were very good and it was cool to be able to hear the waves.

As we sat along the wall to put our shoes on, a nice American gentleman came up and told us to get out of the sun and go sit over there and the waiters would take care of us. Actually, he was from Buddy's which is what we were looking for and planning on anyways. He helped us find a place with some shade and soon a waiter was bringing us Coronas. We sat next to a young family from Lake Charles and really enjoyed visiting with them. We ordered plain nachos (cheese & beans) and cheese quesadillas and guacamole (chips/salsa come with it) and 6 Coronas and the bill was $33. That included a 5%gratuity. I gave them $40 and was very pleased with the service and the atmosphere.

It was so relaxing to just sit on the beach and do nothing. We had a very enjoyable day and were certainly glad we did not turn around when we first got off the ship. I look forward to another relaxing day in Progresso. I will be more than happy to answer any questons.

When we were there we wandered around on our own. I had us back on some of the side roads, no other tourists around, and did not feel too comfortable. We went through a true "open air market" (food) not a straw market trying to get back up to the main road. I remember many, young, children on the streets selling things and I felt so bad for them.

I thought this was one of the nastiest ports I've ever been to. I hope to never go back there. Be safe on your trip and have fun. :)

• 2 weeks later...
BEWARE!!! This place is over run with vendors on the beach in the public areas. The beach & water itself isn't all that nice either, but I know that's from being part of the gulf and not the Caribbean Sea.

I have to agree with you about the vendors and the beach. The vendors will keeping coming by over and over.A simple "no thank you" and they move on. This does become a little annoying. The beach itself and water are also not the prettiest if you have been to some other ports. This being said, I still find this one of the most enjoyable stops I have been to .You can get access to a beach that you don't have to pay a cab fare to get to. The chair rentals were resonable and you get served on the beach.These are things I look for when vacationing with family. Cab fares,beach access, chair rentals,etc... all add up when you have four people. I also felt very safe at this port.

There are those folks that when visiting a foreign country/culture, especially when there is a degree of poverty, that become a bit paranoid with a feeling that someone strange is going to "get" them. Not saying that about any specific poster. The people of the Yucatan State are very warm and friendly, when given the chance and the state is very safe. Vendors? Yes. Just trying to provide for their families. Most times a polite and courteous "gracias no" will do the trick.

There are those folks that when visiting a foreign country/culture, especially when there is a degree of poverty, that become a bit paranoid with a feeling that someone strange is going to "get" them. Not saying that about any specific poster. The people of the Yucatan State are very warm and friendly, when given the chance and the state is very safe. Vendors? Yes. Just trying to provide for their families. Most times a polite and courteous "gracias no" will do the trick.

DITTO! Very well said H.

Archived