Bermuda

Deb1113

When is the best time to go to Bermuda? I've heard that the weather there is similar to N. Carolina so it's best to go in the summer. Any earlier than June and it's too cold. Is this true?

We went in mid May and the water was a little to cool for us to stay in long. St. George was the only port I have been where I felt safe enough to go out on my own for a long run.

How did everyone like the rum punch at the Swizzle Inn.:D

We went in mid May and the water was a little to cool for us to stay in long. St. George was the only port I have been where I felt safe enough to go out on my own for a long run.

How did everyone like the rum punch at the Swizzle Inn.:D

Not sure about the rum punch, but the Bermuda Swizzlers were great!:D

swizzle3.JPG

Carnival goes to Bermuda once a year in April. It is a 6 day cruise that docks at the Naval Wharf, arriving on Saturday afternoon. My husband and I took this cruise in 2007. We arrived too late to take a ferry or cab to Hamilton. On Sunday all the stores in Hamilton are closed. Georgetown is quite a ways away too. I would love it if Carnival docked in Hamilton or Georgetown as there is not much to do at the Naval Wharf. We did take the ferry to Hamilton on the Sunday just to walk around and took the bus back. Why does Carnival have to arrive late on a Saturday? Also we spent a day in Newport Rhode Island. It was okay but I would rather have spent the time in Bermuda. I want to see more of Bermuda but so far it can't be on Carnival. We are platinum and would hate to use another line when Carnival gives us so much!!

I would LOVE to see Carnival run a ship to Bermuda or ANYWHERE warm out of Boston. Sure would make cruising easier for us!!:rolleyes:

I will second that :D !

We have been on the NCL Majesty to Bermuda 2 times out of Boston and the CTN on the NCL Dream. Then we went to NYC to go on the NCL Spirit and the NCL Dawn (2 times). We went on the Miracle this year out of NYC and loved it.

We always cruise in the summer and if Carnival went to Bermuda out of Boston or NYC in the summer we would certainly be on board. We are booked for the NCL Spirit, Boston to Bermuda, next August.

The ship needs to be pretty small to get into St. George. There are issues with the length and depth to dock in St. George. We have started to like Kings Wharf more since we have been there 2 times now. It is easier to get to Horseshoe Bay from there than St. George so that is a good thing.

When is the best time to go to Bermuda? I've heard that the weather there is similar to N. Carolina so it's best to go in the summer. Any earlier than June and it's too cold. Is this true?

Bermuda low 65 high 85+

We have found that August early September is awesome in Bermuda.. But I am so biased, and love Bermuda so much I would go anytime!

One time we went on a cruise..that I think sailed out of NYC May 2 and we 'froze" the first day out.. But Bermuda was glorious.. probably about 75 degrees maybe a bit warmer.. we went to the beaches and it was fine..:)

Been there in August and now just returned on 9/27. Weather was great - hot, but not unbearable - and the water was great.

Would anyone else like to have a Carnival ship going either from NYC or Philly to Bermuda from April to November. Surely, they could take one of their ships from the Caribbean to do this?

In the past the Bermudian government has not wanted Carnival ships to call regularly. They turned Carnival down for years because Bermuda has an image of being an upscale destination and they did not think Carnival or it's passenger demographic fit that image so they only allowed Carnival to make a few calls there a year.

In the past the Bermudian government has not wanted Carnival ships to call regularly. They turned Carnival down for years because Bermuda has an image of being an upscale destination and they did not think Carnival or it's passenger demographic fit that image so they only allowed Carnival to make a few calls there a year.

Would you have something to support this "fact"? :rolleyes:

I'd love to see a Carnival ship do 7-day April - October/November cruises to Bermuda, preferably out of NY, but Boston or Baltimore would be OK too. Just no flying!!

My first 2 cruises, on the old Home Lines Atlantic, were to Bermuda & we docked at Front St., Hamilton...which was great. Then a couple of times on the Horizon which did both Hamilton and St.George...wow going through the cut was like threading a needle!!

We'll be back in Bermuda next week on the Dawn, but will be at the Dockyard...same as when we were there on the Meridian...and I didn't care for it too much at that time, but have read/heard that it's improved.

I'm more than happy to cruise HAL to Bermuda...but would prefer Carnival. We just have a terrific time on our Carnival cruises. Carnival are you reading this? :D.

Should Carnival decide to do this they would either have to use one of their small ships in order to dock in Hamilton/St. George or they'd have to line up for dock priveleges at Kings Wharf if they use one of their big ships.

Would you have something to support this "fact"? :rolleyes:

Sure. Carnival has never had a ship doing regular sailings to Bermuda.....

Celebrity, Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean and several other cruise lines have had regular sailings. Carnival has never. The reason is they were turned down. They wanted to do Bermuda sailings.

Sure. Carnival has never had a ship doing regular sailings to Bermuda.....

Celebrity, Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean and several other cruise lines have had regular sailings. Carnival has never. The reason is they were turned down.

....the reason being.....? :confused:

Back in 2002, the Bermuda Ministry of Tourism was heavily lobbied by the cruise line competitors to keep Carnival out. They were able to convince the ministry that Carnival was too downward a market for the Island. Many Bermudians expressed their concern about allowing these mega ships by Carnival in, they were too large and not keeping with the image of the island. The other concern by allowing in the large "fun ships" was that they had a reputation for carrying "low spending passengers". Those are not my words....just quoting. So that was six years ago, has the attitude changed......I don't think so. As late as this spring the idea was still the same, that cruise ships passengers do not spend as much $$$ as land based vacationers and why should we allow mega party ships in that do not fit with the "feel of the island". Can't say that I blame them.

....the reason being.....? :confused:

As I mentioned in my first post they have perceived the Carnival passenger demographic as not fitting with the kind of visitors they desire. Carnival has had a reputation as a party cruise line. Bermuda tends to be somewhat staid and conservative. They want an upscale demographic. And there is something of an elitist attitude on the island.

As I mentioned in my first post they have perceived the Carnival passenger demographic as not fitting with the kind of visitors they desire. Carnival has had a reputation as a party cruise line. Bermuda tends to be somewhat staid and conservative. They want an upscale demographic. And there is something of an elitist attitude on the island.

I think the Carnival passengers sailing from NYC are entirely different than the passengers from Florida (or San Juan).

Well, I'm from NYC and I've sailed on Carnival cruises departing NYC, and viewing Charles4515 statement I wonder if Bermuda would be really be more anxious to receive Carnival passengers from NYC rather than Florida or San Juan :D

Archived