Any must do's in Canada?

CarolNJ

What time of year is your cruise? In Quebec City the Old Town is a must - lovely shops, restaurants, cobble-stone streets and beautiful artisan works. In Halifax, the waterfront area is lively and fun in the summer months with Celtic music, outdoor bars and restaurants, interesting shops including one where you can watch them blowing glass.

Kathy:)

Thank you both so much for answering.

I am leaving October 9th.

My Mom has been sick and I have been running back and forth to NY. Normally by this time, I would have my itinerary all planned. I am so behind the 8 ball!

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

QueBec City - the colors should be pretty nice next week. Be on deck when coming down the St-Lawrence. Also, Qc has the big 400 Ceremonies. so there are special things in town. Old Qubec is easy to do on your own. You can take the " ecolobus" right at the pier. It is a free electic bus that will take you right uphill into the old town. So take the bus to the top, and then you can make your way downhill.

Or, you might want to go to Momorency Falls. That is nice too. But you will need to take a cab there. ( about 20 min out).

You're on the Explorer of the Seas, right? If so, you're docking berth in Quebec City is, alas, not the best: dock 103, or the furthest one from the Old City. I think that ships who dock here have a shuttle to take them closer to the action; if it turns out that there isn't a shuttle, you can walk out to the main road and take a city bus, the no. 1 (you'll be at the beginning of the bus route). More info on taking the bus in Quebec City can be found here: http://www.rtcquebec.ca/francais/new_customer_/a_new_customer.html

Quebec City is great for just walking around, doing a little shopping and the like. If it's a rainy day, check out the Musée de la civilisation (http://www.mcq.org/index_en.html), opposite the main cruise ship dock.

QueBec City - the colors should be pretty nice next week. Be on deck when coming down the St-Lawrence. Also, Qc has the big 400 Ceremonies. so there are special things in town. Old Qubec is easy to do on your own. You can take the " ecolobus" right at the pier. It is a free electic bus that will take you right uphill into the old town. So take the bus to the top, and then you can make your way downhill.

Or, you might want to go to Momorency Falls. That is nice too. But you will need to take a cab there. ( about 20 min out).

Just a note on the Ecolobus. It only goes as far as the main cruise ship piers (22&21). However, it is quite easy to transfer from the no. 1 bus to the Ecolobus, the advantage to this being that the Ecolobus, as mentioned by the previous poster, will take you to Upper Town without having to climb steep steps or streets (the no. 1 is strictly Lower Town). Both buses will take you directly to the main Espace 400e, which is beside the marina in Lower Town.

You're on the Explorer of the Seas, right? If so, you're docking berth in Quebec City is, alas, not the best: dock 103, or the furthest one from the Old City. I think that ships who dock here have a shuttle to take them closer to the action; if it turns out that there isn't a shuttle, you can walk out to the main road and take a city bus, the no. 1 (you'll be at the beginning of the bus route). More info on taking the bus in Quebec City can be found here: http://www.rtcquebec.ca/francais/new_customer_/a_new_customer.html

Quebec City is great for just walking around, doing a little shopping and the like. If it's a rainy day, check out the Musée de la civilisation (http://www.mcq.org/index_en.html), opposite the main cruise ship dock.

Help !!!

We are on the NCL Jewel and will be docking in Quebec on 10/21. Any idea on what docking locations ???? TNX !!!

Help !!!

We are on the NCL Jewel and will be docking in Quebec on 10/21. Any idea on what docking locations ???? TNX !!!

Check here for dock assignments in Quebec City: http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=97

Looks like the Jewel will also be using dock 103 (although it says it's supposed to arrive on the 23rd?)

Check here for dock assignments in Quebec City: http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=97

Looks like the Jewel will also be using dock 103 (although it says it's supposed to arrive on the 23rd?)

TNX for the info, Is dock 103 a condiserable distance to the main attractions ??

Yes, but it's still not terrible, maybe 5 minutes' drive away. See my posts a few up on this page re: buses.

According to Google map, Wharf 103 is in an industrial area. Hopefully they will have shuttles. Hard to imagine 2400 passengers being dumped into an area with cranes and warehousing. Quebec City does look beautiful.

Thank you both so much for answering.

I am leaving October 9th.

My Mom has been sick and I have been running back and forth to NY. Normally by this time, I would have my itinerary all planned. I am so behind the 8 ball!

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Sounds l ike you're going to be on my cruise, the Jewel? There is a meet-and-greet on the ship the morning before we get to Boston. Maybe if you join us (free, of course!) you can link up with some others who have activities planned.

You said, "..the Musee de la civilisation, opposite the main cruise ship dock"...

I am coming in on the NCL Jewel (on October 13)...I use a wheelchair. Would I be able (on my own) to get to the museum...and get in? Thanks for your help!

You said, "..the Musee de la civilisation, opposite the main cruise ship dock"...

I am coming in on the NCL Jewel (on October 13)...I use a wheelchair. Would I be able (on my own) to get to the museum...and get in? Thanks for your help!

The transport is the challenge. Your best bet is probably a taxi (can you get in and out of a regular taxi?). Once there, the museum is fully accessible, with an elevator to get to the second level - it's to the left of the ticket counter, you don't see it at first but it's quite easy to get to.

The transport is the challenge. Your best bet is probably a taxi (can you get in and out of a regular taxi?). Once there, the museum is fully accessible, with an elevator to get to the second level - it's to the left of the ticket counter, you don't see it at first but it's quite easy to get to.

Yes, I can get into a regular taxi...if I can find one that will be willing to accept my wheelchair (foldable, collapsible). I was hoping that it was a matter of just crossing a couple of streets -- and depending on how the ship is tied up, I could use the power wheelchair I'm renting on board, and "cruise" across the streets to the museum, using my power chair.

I'm sure I'll be able to work that out once I'm actually there. I've been to the museum before -- we spent a week in Quebec, loving every minute of it!, but when we were there for the week, we drove, and I didn't pay a lot of attention to the cruise ship docks and their relation to the rest of the city!

Yes, I can get into a regular taxi...if I can find one that will be willing to accept my wheelchair (foldable, collapsible). I was hoping that it was a matter of just crossing a couple of streets -- and depending on how the ship is tied up, I could use the power wheelchair I'm renting on board, and "cruise" across the streets to the museum, using my power chair.

I'm sure I'll be able to work that out once I'm actually there. I've been to the museum before -- we spent a week in Quebec, loving every minute of it!, but when we were there for the week, we drove, and I didn't pay a lot of attention to the cruise ship docks and their relation to the rest of the city!

It's really unfortunate that the Jewel is docking at 103 when you're there - docks 22 & 21 are sooo convenient to everything! And I see that while dock 22 is occupied while you're there, dock 21 is not... Personally, I would whine about that!

It's really unfortunate that the Jewel is docking at 103 when you're there - docks 22 & 21 are sooo convenient to everything! And I see that while dock 22 is occupied while you're there, dock 21 is not... Personally, I would whine about that!

Well, instead I'll whine about this: I just went to the Museum site...and they're closed on Mondays..and I'll be there on Monday, October 13. :(

Oh well...guess I'll have to do some more research!

Twickenham, would you happen to know if a shuttle is provided from pier 103 to the pier 21/22 vicinity. I called the number at the Authority and unfortunately I cann't speak French, lol :) We are on the 10/23 Visit onboard the Jewel. Looking at the Sattelite view on Google Earth it does appear to be a considerable distance to the main attraction. TNX for your assistance.

Twickenham, would you happen to know if a shuttle is provided from pier 103 to the pier 21/22 vicinity. I called the number at the Authority and unfortunately I cann't speak French, lol :) We are on the 10/23 Visit onboard the Jewel. Looking at the Sattelite view on Google Earth it does appear to be a considerable distance to the main attraction. TNX for your assistance.

I would maybe try NCL to see if they have any info on possible shuttle buses. I think I've seen some for other ships, but not sure if it's standard. The Explorer of the Seas is in today, and I'm gonna try to go down after work so I'll be on the lookout for shuttles.

I would maybe try NCL to see if they have any info on possible shuttle buses. I think I've seen some for other ships, but not sure if it's standard. The Explorer of the Seas is in today, and I'm gonna try to go down after work so I'll be on the lookout for shuttles.

TNX again for your help. We are travelling with some elderly parents with us.

FIRELT5,

I've been seeing your posts as we are on the Jewel -- same cruise as you. Maybe if we get a group to whine at the CC meeting we can get NCL to do dock closer to town --- especially if a better berth is open. I read on one of these threads that the berths fill up according to what ships dock earliest. I see that we dock earliest of three ships in Halifax but couldn't find a docking time for Quebec. Of course those times could change.

Let's just hope for NO rain! Thanks for all the good tips on "must do's" to all who submitted them.

See you in 18 1/2 days.

Ruth ;)

Archived